Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm a non-owner day 0 reservationist. i'll take whatever's available if the tax credit is still there, awd short-range non-pup otherwise. i don't think many will flat out cancel their reservation (a few will). I see the only real choices are between tax credit or cheaper version - $9k extra for more range is a tough one to justify.
It depends on how long (& how many miles) you intend to keep the car and how much you'd use it for road trips. My mid-2013 Model S has 99k+ miles and its range is down about 5% to 250 EPA miles per full range charge. The are some routes I have to drive quite slowly to make it from one SCh to the next. E.g. from Mt. Shasta to Reno. That route has a destination charger available so I can still easily make it traveling faster, but have to wait in Susanville while charging. Whether you need the larger range depends on how and where you want to drive.

Sure, but what i said was correct, not everyone buying the lower priced Tesla will have a high enough tax liability to receive the full rebate.
I used the TurboTax online estimator to get a single data point: a married couple earning a total of $78,000 after allowed deductions will have a federal tax liability of $7,681, and be able to get the full rebate. Note that nearly half of their income would go to buying a base Model 3 (before rebate).

I used the TurboTax online estimator to get a single data point: a married couple earning a total of $78,000 after allowed deductions will have a federal tax liability of $7,681, and be able to get the full rebate. Note that nearly half of their income would go to buying a base Model 3 (before rebate).

That is for 2017. In 2018, the couple with no children's federal tax would be 6,099. They would need to make $89,700 to have $7,500 in federal liability. (from an online calc)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and ZenMan
Median income in USA = 59k
Average sales price of new car = 33k

I'm thinking a few people spend half their income on a car. However, income is only part of the financial picture, net worth matters.

Along with monthly payment. 5 year loan on 33k -> $6,600 a year -> 11% of 59k. Can be less than rent or a house.
Mortgage criteria is often 28%~33% debt to income.

Reactions: DragonWatch
Folks lease/finance their cars. It's not all paid upfront in cash.

Of course, but when and how the car was paid for wasn't the main point, just price vs income.

I tend to finance them and pay off years early. Our last 5 year loan I paid off in 6 months. We put a sizable down payment down on our X for psychological reasons but at 1.49% it wasn't a good financial move nor is paying it off early. I'll still do it because I can't stand debt.

Created some confusion with my meandering writing.
Sorry.

No. Many will simply never spend 50k on a car.
We are Old.
"My first house cost blah blah blah..."

Projected number of the upcoming AWD and P models.

I
Sorry for the confusion.
I have not seen any posted price of a D model. Do you have inside information?
I have not seen any announcement of a P version to be made. Again do you have inside information or are you psychic?

I did some quick guesstimation on the Model 3 ramp given the updated parameters (2,645 produced in 2017, 1k/week entering Q1 and ending Q1 at 2,500/week, and 2,500/week entering Q2 ending at 5,000/week) and assuming a fairly linear ramp tilted slightly to EoQ to remain conservative. I then also ran the same guesstimations through the end of the year assuming a similarly linear ramp to 10k/week at the end of December, minus the final week of the year for possible factory closure.

It's in a Google Sheet here for anyone interested.

Short summary:
Since these are effectively Tesla's official guidance at this point and their modus operandi is not to exceed official guidance significantly...
-I expect the Model 3 production by quarter to be around 22k in Q1, 49k in Q2, 83k in Q3, and 107k in Q4.
-I expect total Model 3 produced count by EoY not to exceed 265k.
-I'll hereby stick to my somewhat facetious 1/1/2018 guess posted here and say that we'll see 201,800 Model 3s produced in 2018. And my 'that'd sure be great' hope is that the 265k comes to pass.
-Any hopes folks had of Tesla approaching 500k vehicles produced in 2018 died today. If we assume reasonable growth of S/X ending 2018 at 125k between them, that's 390k total for the company when you add in 265k Model 3s. I think 400k would be extremely optimistic.

And to be clear before I get jumped on, I've thought all along that we'd be in at best the 350k-400k range for 2018 given conversion from Elon Time™ to Gregorian Time. So today's ramp change announcement doesn't surprise or particularly faze me. It's basically what I expected to see. I'm happy that 2017 Model 3 production exceeded 2,600 as I was guessing 2,000-2,500 after the Q3 earnings call. And 101k S/X is great.

Now back to waiting for my configuration invite...

FWIW, after yesterday's CNBC debacle provided one worthwhile nugget--Tesla's response reiterating Q1 production guidance--I updated my ramp guesstimates, with the following changes based on how 2018 has proceeded thus far plus my gut feeling for the rest of the year. To be clear, these estimates are still worth exactly what you've paid for them--zero. I still enjoy the thought experiment.

I decided that assuming Tesla actually entered 2018 at 1k/week and went up from there was foolish, so I dialed back the start to 600/week and don't hit 1k/week until the 2nd week of Feb. I also dialed back the initial weeks of each successive quarter, assuming that while Tesla will hit its goals of 2500/week by end of March and 5k/week by end of June, each quarter will start out with the first couple of weeks remaining right near the prior quarter's goal. I also updated Q3 and Q4 for Tesla to not meet the 10k/week EoY goal, as they haven't reiterated that lately. I instead now have them at 6500/week at end of Q3, and 9000/week at EoY.

I'm aware that this will probably seem overly conservative to some here, but as overly conservative has won the day so far on the Model 3 ramp, my intention here was to see what 2018 full-year Model 3 production would look like from this angle. I understand that many think that the 5k-10k jump is 'just' adding a second line including all learnings from line 1, and therefore we're likely to see that jump achieved more quickly and with less stress. I would like to agree, but will believe that when I see it play out. Conservative is the word of the day for this exercise.

The good news is it's not all that bad. My 1/3 estimate is quoted above. The updated 1/26 estimate is: 16k in Q1, 47k in Q2, 76k in Q3, and 93k in Q4 for a total as of 12/31/2018 of 234k. This compares to the original 264k in my earlier estimate. The reason I think this is good is that despite all these more conservative changes, the full year has only dropped by 11% and still ends the year well over 200k Model 3s produced. Further, I think Tesla is still likely to deliver over 300k vehicles in 2018--which would be around 200% growth in volume in a single year. Assuming S/X don't grow at all and are right at 100k delivered in 2018, that would require all Model 3s produced by Thanksgiving to be delivered in 2018--certainly doable since they're virtually all US-bound this year.

100k to 300k in a year is still pretty incredible, IMO.

Of course, but when and how the car was paid for wasn't the main point, just price vs income.

I tend to finance them and pay off years early. Our last 5 year loan I paid off in 6 months. We put a sizable down payment down on our X for psychological reasons but at 1.49% it wasn't a good financial move nor is paying it off early. I'll still do it because I can't stand debt.
Yeah, I’d rather my $ stay on TSLA earning me 40% returns than paying off my 3% loan... That said, I’m one of those people who are buying the base Model 3, although I will add EAP. I won’t buy FSD until it works.

Reactions: bdy0627 and sub
I hope you're not suggesting that people wouldn't spend more than half their yearly income to buy a vehicle.
No, it was just an observation. In fact I spent proportionately more, a couple of months ago, for a car I probably won't see for 4 years.

That is for 2017. In 2018, the couple with no children's federal tax would be 6,099. They would need to make $89,700 to have $7,500 in federal liability. (from an online calc)

Yeah, sorry, a bit focused on 2017 tax right now...

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Posted in Model 3 discussion but I think I will probably get better answers from investors:

So I checked my Tesla account and saw that I could configure a Model 3 now for delivery in 4 weeks. Being a share holder, I'm trying to think about the implications of being able to take delivery at the time that I can.

I was a owner as of October 2016 so I think Tesla was just selling roughly 100K total cars at a time. Since owners before me have priority I am thinking *up to 100K* Model 3s would get delivered before I could get mine.

As months passed, the "100K" queue would drop for many reasons:
- No Dual Motor Model
- No P Model
- No $35k Model

From my understanding of highest VINS and production rate (approx 1000), I would be owner # 15,000 best case if I took delivery 4 weeks from now?

Now I myself am debating if I want to take delivery in 4 weeks as I would like a dual motor car.

My worries as a stock holder is it will not be long for Tesla for finish running through the queue for current owners.

If "adoption rate" remains fixed, we are looking at perhaps 30,000 first run Model 3s sold before the non owner public has access to them.

How much of the non-owner public would pay for the current first run $50K model 3? Hopefully a lot because they don't have a Tesla currently.

Napkin math seems to show Tesla will sell 30,000 first run Model 3 out of 200,000 possible to existing owners.

As an investor I am concerned about the following doomsday scenario:

Alternative configurations availability once first run demand configuration is done.

The obvious challenge facing TSLA has always been:

1 - What's production rate?

Now I am concerned about

2 - What happens to sales if production rate rockets but desired configurations are delayed?

Since I am likely keeping LR, PUP, adding in dual motor, that ends up raising ASP and margin to Tesla that is a good thing.

Two hundred thousand cars holding out for $35k base I would view as a negative.

Would love to know your thoughts and if I am missing something that will assuage my concerns.
I understand your concerns regarding "Two hundred thousand holding our for $35k base". I think everyone will agree that there are some that will wait for the $35k version (commuter car, kids college car, etc) just like I bet that some have canceled their reservations (life changes, SO found out, etc).

My thoughts:
1. Due to the positive reviews published already plus at some point customers will be able to do test drives, new buyers will meet/exceed those that dropped or are waiting.

2. With the AWD variant being leaked in the configuration page as well as AWD Vins requested I believe that additional sales volume will make up for those still waiting for the base model.

3. Some of those that were too impatient to wait for the M3, purchased either an S or X (guilty). Though it doesn't help the M3 it didn't hurt Tesla.

The above are just my thoughts. However, one thing I can guarantee. There will be FUD articles lambasting Tesla for not producing and/or not being able to produce the $35k M3 as promised. I'm actually looking forward to those articles as they seem to create buying opportunities.

Reactions: immunogold and gene
I understand your concerns regarding "Two hundred thousand holding our for $35k base". I think everyone will agree that there are some that will wait for the $35k version (commuter car, kids college car, etc) just like I bet that some have canceled their reservations (life changes, SO found out, etc).

My thoughts:
1. Due to the positive reviews published already plus at some point customers will be able to do test drives, new buyers will meet/exceed those that dropped or are waiting.

2. With the AWD variant being leaked in the configuration page as well as AWD Vins requested I believe that additional sales volume will make up for those still waiting for the base model.

3. Some of those that were too impatient to wait for the M3, purchased either an S or X (guilty). Though it doesn't help the M3 it didn't hurt Tesla.

The above are just my thoughts. However, one thing I can guarantee. There will be FUD articles lambasting Tesla for not producing and/or not being able to produce the $35k M3 as promised. I'm actually looking forward to those articles as they seem to create buying opportunities.

It could be that just as many are waiting for 35k model as are waiting for 35k model + interior color options or SR Dual motor or any number of less then $9000 big battery upgrades. Most people do not need 310+ miles of range and currently that is the only option. I am personally waiting for Interior and dual motor but still heavily debating internally the small vs large battery. I love the idea of the large battery and the premium is fair, but its still pretty steep.

On a side note.. I talked to one of the guys at my local Tesla store that said their delivery goal for Feb is 4000 Model 3s. He also said that they deliver them very quickly after they get in and have been delivering a good number, though he would not say how many. I am in Chicago, Highland Park. He also said they where getting solar products soon, which is new for Chicago because solar city was not in this area at all.

When pressed for more numbers he said a bunch of stuff like.. they dont tell us and even if they did, I couldnt tell you.. so I have no idea how accurate it is. He is a very nice guy and I have talked to him a few times before.

Reactions: Duffer

AHH But its easy to convert an IRA to a Roth IRA. If you were short 20,000 in income (to reach your 7,500) just convert 20K of IRA or 401K to a Roth IRA.

Clearly you're confusing me with someone who cares about negative spin (as if Tesla performing to perfection would stop it) or entitled whiners. Tesla doesn't owe anyone anything.
I think they owe a base model car to buyers who heard "It's going to be a great $35,000 car" and put down a one kilobuck deposit based on that.
When they get that base model car is a different question.
Robin

Reactions: landis
Status
Not open for further replies.