Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference between some politicians, some political parties, and some corporations. The difference is a successful brand and smoke and mirrors. A scalar, not a step-level function. The good ones, like Tesla, offer a good product and services, ever mindful of consumer needs and appropriate consumer wants. They may not implement well but the goal is always clear and the early success of Ford and our generation's example—Tesla—demonstrate the profitability and growth that is possible. That is how you build a brand or a successful political reputation. ICE manufacturers, like bad politicians and unsuccessful—in the long run—political parties, depend on money manipulation, advertising, dissembling, playing to fear, restricting the vote, lying, manipulating the count, yada, yada. The bad guys focus on atmospherics, not substance. What is confounding is Tesla and Musk. They focus on the long term picture at the risk of short term thinking and short-term profits.

Attacking a part of what Tesla or Musk do misses the big picture, especially when falling back on an argument that might go like this, "well, that's not how the losers, big time, do it!" For malignant shorters and narcissists alike an advice. It is better to be smart than dumb, like the rest of humanity. Being dumb for some is like a sugar or drug high. Thrilling for the moment, but there is a difference between feeling good and being or doing good. Machiavelli in his later years corrected his position in The Prince. It is better to be loved than to be feared. The opposite just gets a lot of publicity.

A corollary: Ordinary people know not to **sh*t** too close to the house, if you missed my drift. In the midst of uncertainty about our institutions, fake news, alternative facts, people yearn for authenticity. That yearning may reach a point where action overcomes boredom and sloth about who is ultimately responsible for change. We are. Stop trolling.

Last edited:
I really think it would be far easier and cheaper to make the parts available to independent garages. Tesla will have to supply the same number of parts. So if they will make them available to Tesla they can make them available to “pro body”. Let’s focus on the core mission here.

Part of the mission is not pissing people off so much to the point they stop buying Teslas.

Teslas says most of the problem is with the body shops and adjusters. This is putting their money where their moth is.

They will fix ASAP even without insurance adjuster approval.

In the rare instance where all involved insurance companies deny coverage/liability Tesla will deal with that after the customer is happy with his fixed car.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
My comment on this retread NYTimes article giving shorts more exposure:

Articles on Tesla's financials never seem to go into any detail. Incompetence or laziness? Not sure. But here's a key conceptual detail about Tesla's financials: They are spending a lot of money (aka burning cash) on future products and assets that aren't generating revenue today. Like any hardware startup, albeit on a much longer timeframe due to the nature of the industry. Some examples of what Tesla is "burning" cash on: 1. Construction and expansion of largest battery plant in world for vehicle and energy products 2. Development of more "affordable" SUV (Model Y) 3. Development of long range semi-truck 4. Development of fastest production car (next-gen Roadster) 5. Development of large pickup truck 6. Software development of autonomous driving Going forward, these will all be revenue and profit-generating assets, aka they will make more money than they spent on them. You are just seeing the spending part right now. That's not to say Tesla isn't wasting money on ineffiencies, but the conversation really has to parse out these different concepts. This future asset development is a primary driver in the valuation of Tesla. They are in a state that no other car company is at. They have a wide open road. The international and domestic demand is seemingly there (I mean, 400000 deposits, are you kidding?) Grow baby grow. Burn that cash now. If you build it, they will come.

I really think it would be far easier and cheaper to make the parts available to independent garages. Tesla will have to supply the same number of parts. So if they will make them available to Tesla they can make them available to “pro body”. Let’s focus on the core mission here.

It makes sense for Tesla to do insurance and body shop all together. Tesla cars are getting safer because of autopilot and the coming autonomous features. Tesla know the accident rate, how much it would cost to fix those cars... They can streamline the process. Insurance can be sold as an option when customers order cars. All parts are pre stocked, and the shops just work on the damaged cars. They don't need to wait for insurance to approve work, and don't need to play game to charge longer labor hours.

If Tesla wants to provide the best user experience, they should do this. It would be very profitable too.

Reactions: 1101011
Completely. They should
  • Make the cars
  • Finance the cars
  • Insure the cars
  • Repair the cars
  • Transport the cars
  • Transport the car parts
  • Power the cars
  • Sell the cars
Tesla should, of course, own every single step in the value chain all at once.
Ah, see? He'll get it. One day, I'm sure.

A long in the making. It's a rare occurence, so be quiet and watch.

Part of the mission is not pissing people off so much to the point they stop buying Teslas.
I fully agree they should not piss off people I just think that can be accomplished quicker and easier by ensuring parts are available. In my area there are several good body shops but the closest Tesla Center is 200 miles away. I was fortunate in that I was able to get the parts quickly and had NO problem with insurance or the body shop.

When there has been a repair problem most of the time I read it has been an issue getting the parts.

See my follow-up reply to firebird. Same logic applies.

Here's my reference (Musk's tweet):
Tesla body shops are ramping up fast. Aiming to go from 30+ days using external body repair shops to same day body repair with prestocked parts at Tesla service centers.

I would appreciate a second set of eyes. I asked about the EPA emissions data from the Tesla Fremont factory and was pointed to this data for year 2016:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/app/emsinv/facinfo/facdet.php?co_=1&ab_=SF&facid_=20459&dis_=BA&dbyr=2016&dd=

If I’m interpreting his correctly, it would be about 61.2 tons of emissions for year 2016. This also says that:

“The emission inventory data provided here may have been developed over several years and is the most recent information available at ARB for this inventory year. Many facilities are only required to update their toxic emission data if there has been an increase in emissions. Therefore, the toxic emission data presented here should generally be viewed as maximum emission values which may have decreased since this information was reported.“

The following article states Tesla was limited to 603.2 tons of VOC per year, which was also written back in 2016: Docs Reveal: Tesla’s Production Capacity Limited To Less Than Half Of Its 500,000 Vehicle Target

Does it indeed seem that Tesla Fremont at only 61.2 tons of emissions per year in 2016 would seem to not have any chance of coming close to a 603.2 ton limit even with the increased Model 3 production?

So says the body shop.
I heard directly from the owner involved (for privacy, I won't say who) that his car was being repaired at a Tesla Service Center for a problem that was major and covered by insurance but not a collision-style accident. Tesla worked closely with the owner and the insurance company, but when it came time to collect the car, the insurance company hadn't paid up. Tesla handed back the car for the repair cost of the insurance deductible, that is, they ate the insurance company's contribution, as an act of good customer service. I don't trust insurance companies, although have had good service from USAA here and NRMA in Australia.

It makes sense for Tesla to do insurance and body shop all together. Tesla cars are getting safer because of autopilot and the coming autonomous features. Tesla know the accident rate, how much it would cost to fix those cars... They can streamline the process. Insurance can be sold as an option when customers order cars. All parts are pre stocked, and the shops just work on the damaged cars. They don't need to wait for insurance to approve work, and don't need to play game to charge longer labor hours.

If Tesla wants to provide the best user experience, they should do this. It would be very profitable too.

Tesla has become big enough to start thinking about making profits. hence Q3/Q4 guidelines, supercharger is no longer free ..etc.
same way body shop, servicing etc will all be for profit ..

Status
Not open for further replies.