Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One difference between early model S and early model 3 is the expanded supercharger network that will continue to get better. I could not have made a 60 model S work 4 years ago where I live but our X75D works fine now with only a couple holes needing to be filled. We are still able to detour a little to get where we need to.

Good point. Hmm... What do you think will be the LR/SR split for Model 3.

My (2012) Model S had both front airbags replaced at the last service. I didn't ask them to, they just did, as part of the recall I guess. I am not worried about market effect.
If they do it to every car that comes in for service that might ever need it, then it gets the service personnel good at doing it cheaply, and the total impact to Tesla is much lower than clumps of recalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: DragonWatch
Funny you should write about it a day later. Some reporters saying, mission failed. Spacex saying their rocket performed nominally.

Northrop Grumman is tight lipped. Yet others have reverse conspiracy theories - the mission is a success, they made it look like it failed. Mucho fun. Follow along here. It's a classified payload, CIA may be.

Zuma satellite from @northropgrumman may be dead in orbit after separation from @SpaceX Falcon 9, sources say. Info blackout renders any conclusion - launcher issue? Satellite-only issue? -- impossible to draw. https://t.co/KggCGNC5Si • r/spacex

Edit: fixed broken link

Last edited:
Funny you should write about it a day later. Some reporters saying, mission failed. Spacex saying their rocket performed nominally.

Northrop Grumman is tight lipped. Yet others have reverse conspiracy theories - the mission is a success, they made it look like it failed. Mucho fun. Follow along here. It's a classified payload, CIA may be.

Zuma satellite from @northropgrumman may be dead in orbit after separation from @SpaceX Falcon 9, sources say. Info blackout renders any conclusion - launcher issue? Satellite-only issue? -- impossible to draw. https://t.co/KggCGNC5Si • r/spacex

They said it was secret and they're acting like it's secret, and some people think that's contradictory. Whatever!

Edit:
ArsTechnia says they heard it burnt up (It’s not official, but sources say the secretive Zuma satellite was lost), and here's another non-contradictory source saying something different:
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.11.05 PM.png

Another twitter thread thinks that this was not a SpaceX failure at all, given some evidence of the upper stage operating properly:
Dr Marco Langbroek on Twitter

I'm perusing Reddit SpaceX comments for that article (Zuma satellite from @northropgrumman may be dead in orbit after separation from @SpaceX Falcon 9, sources say. Info blackout renders any conclusion - launcher issue? Satellite-only issue? -- impossible to draw. https://t.co/KggCGNC5Si • r/spacex) and there most people only come up with logic that says this was not a SpaceX failure. NG connector, no indications of upper stage anomalies, etc.

A weird looking star showed up in Sudan's sky before sunrise. • r/whatisthisthing

Last edited:

Thank you very much for posting this link, @generalenthu. This really is some fun reading. I think I recognize agent Mulder of the X-Files in one of the comments.

Very interesting 5 minute YouTube video by In Depth discussing reasons why Tesla cannot build Superchargers in Germany, and why perspective Tesla buyers in Germany cannot access the 60,000,000 Euro EV fund. This video link was previously posted over on Reddit. Spoiler alert........In Depth suspects BMW, VW, Daimler, Bosch, etc............ It is worth the few minutes to watch it, and for anyone on the board from Germany, the video hosts offer to help publicize any petition efforts to help overturn these rulings:

Very interesting 5 minute YouTube video by In Depth discussing reasons why Tesla cannot build Superchargers in Germany,

Tesla can but did not want to build any in 2017. It just has to share them without compensation from other automakers.

Tesla has the following Superchargers scheduled for construction in Germany in 2018 according to Tesla.com supercharger page.

Essel
Niemegk
Wittlich
Freiburg
Brannenburg
Schaffenhausen

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and avoigt
Tesla can but did not want to build any in 2017. It just has to share them without compensation from other automakers.

Tesla has the following Superchargers scheduled for construction in Germany in 2018 according to Tesla.com supercharger page.

Essel
Niemegk
Wittlich
Freiburg
Brannenburg
Schaffenhausen

Do you have a link about the requirement to share SC? That would be a clear disadvantage for Tesla and another proof how the German Automakers make sure Tesla is kept small. Also I am not aware of an EV that is enabled to charge with the KWh of the SC.Is there any?

First test drive from an Journalist in the Porsche Mission E

Some Details:

- Price: 75 - 90 k€
- Charging: 3 Power classes: 300 kW / 402 PS, 400 kW / 536 PS and 500 kW / 670 PS
- AWD at start, RWD later
- A 2 level Gear is planned! Enables taking a higher gear at higher speed - Sounds like an idea from an ICE Engineer to me....
- Plan to produce 20k units p.a. maybe 30k

not many other details other than "its a real Porsche"....

in German: Eine der ersten Testfahrten im Mission E - „ein Porsche durch und durch“ | Elektroauto-News.net

Some Details:

- Charging: 3 Power classes: 300 kW / 402 PS, 400 kW / 536 PS and 500 kW / 670 PS
- A 2 level Gear is planned! Enables taking a higher gear at higher speed - Sounds like an idea from an ICE Engineer to me....

in German: Eine der ersten Testfahrten im Mission E - „ein Porsche durch und durch“ | Elektroauto-News.net
IIRC, Roadster I started out with a 2-speed gearbox to handle the whole speed range. But the makers of gearboxes could not make one that worked without grinding itself up, and anyway Tesla engineered around the need electronically, so they settled for a simple reduction gear.

Well, maybe VAG has access to better knowhow ...

Some Details:

So $89-107k for a slower/smaller, less range model S but potentially can maintain higher speeds on the Autobahn and charge faster. Certainly better for Germany, but not as competing world wide, mostly due to no charging infrastructure. Does Tesla counter with 2170 + PM motors and megacharger like charge rates and 400 mile range?

Status
Not open for further replies.