Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I-PACE Electric Concept Vehicle Overview | Jaguar Canada

Thursday, March 1st, 1pm EST Reveal of Jaguar I-PACE here:
Jaguar Canada

It is great that we are starting to see some serious competition. IMHO I believe this will only increase exposure to EVs and benefit Tesla. I love the I-PACE design, however the specs (239mi range, 90kWh lithium battery, dual motor, 0-60km/hr in 4 seconds) don't match the S or X or even the M3 in range. It's a good start for Jaguar and I wish them success. It will be interesting to see how much I-PACE will cost and when they will be scheduled for mass production. Transforming one automotive company at a time. The World is a'changing.

Fully agree and great to see that they bring some more compelling cars out. This is what we need to turn the opinion of the public around. Beside us fanboys there are many people out there who dislike Tesla because its Tesla and other brands will help them to adopt EVs quicker.

As you said nearly all specs of the I-Pace are still below what we are used to at Tesla though. In order to create real competition we need them to be equal or at least in a few aspects better. I hope they get closer but have some doubts looking at improvement cycles and timelines in combination with experience and capacities of Batteries.

Looking at range in combination with batterie size and dual versus single motor it looks like they are way behind. I can't wait to see the specs for the M3 AWD and expect a large improvement which makes all other EVs coming out in 2018/19 looking even more weak.

As a finally point, having watched ads for EVs its interesting how they avoid any mentioned of charging. Its a strong negative for me that they don't have an answer and put the responsibility into the hands of governments or other providers. As a consumer its such a critical factor and what help does it bring having a well designed EV with good range but either you just can drive it just in town or near your home or who have to develop a "master plan" first if you want to travel a longer distance. As a customer I would feel somehow cheated.

Porsche at least is doing something. Not enough given the small amount of dealerships in the US but at least something: Porsche's US dealers will offer fast charging stations for its Tesla-fighting Mission E sedan

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
Hong Kong Just Made Buying a Tesla Cheaper • r/teslamotors

From Bloomberg Technology:
“Hong Kong just made buying an electric car cheaper, unveiling a tax benefit that’s set to boost demand for Teslas and other green vehicles from makers such as BMW.

Electric-vehicle buyers who trade in an eligible gas-guzzler will get a waiver of as much as HK$250,000 ($32,000) on the first registration tax, the government said Wednesday when delivering its annual budget. An existing waiver of up to HK$97,500 for new electric-vehicle purchases will also remain in place.”

Lets get used to a Semi overtaken us on a highway.....

Can't wait to see them starting to deliver supply between the factories.

Tesla Semi spotted cruising on CA highway leading to Gigafactory 1

IIRC you posted that Hamburg had actually indicated that they would ban diesel in April. Do you have a link that indicates 'April'? There are all types of articles about The German court order but nothing that specifically says Hamburg has set a definite date to implement the ban. Thanks

IIRC you posted that Hamburg had actually indicated that they would ban diesel in April. Do you have a link that indicates 'April'? There are all types of articles about The German court order but nothing that specifically says Hamburg has set a definite date to implement the ban. Thanks
The “ban” is for older vehicles, and only on two sections (one each) of two streets. They are ordering signs and hope to get them up “in a few weeks”

Diesel-Fahrverbote: Hamburg wird Vorreiter

I
The “ban” is for older vehicles, and only on two sections (one each) of two streets. They are ordering signs and hope to get them up “in a few weeks”

Diesel-Fahrverbote: Hamburg wird Vorreiter
should add that only 580 meters of the one street will be off limits for older non-compliant trucks and cars, for the other street 1.7 km will be off limits only for non compliant trucks. Hamburger parliamentarians are scratching their heads about how to enforce.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and AlMc
Look no further then the massive array they are putting on top of the Gigafactory. As useful as this will be to help Tesla cut costs and smooth out electricity issues that supposedly exist there, it will also be a huge example for what is possible. Much like the huge SA battery is opening doors, the Gigafactory could be used as a case study as I am assuming that the first Tesla semis will charge there and take materials to Fremont. Tesla can use this data to show potential partners how much savings they have by using solar and storing the excess in batteries for use to smooth out demand, which leads to lower demand related fees and generally lower rates.

I can't imagine Tesla would wait until the first actual production Semis come out to set up regular runs to and from GF1 and Fremont.
If they built working prototypes there should be nothing preventing them from building a dozen and begin to use them on this route.
It would not be necessary to handle all the cargo between the two locations using these Semis. Successful real world use would surely increase reservation and pre payments. My question is how soon should we expect to see this? The motors and battery packs are stock or largely so. Any good reasons they could not pull this off before end of year?

Some of you expressed concerns about how folks selling the stock to pay for their model 3 might depress the stock price. Been trying to help you out. I do have some money in my current employer's 401K and that employment is coming to an end. Just making the 55 yo window before this most recent employment end lets me withdraw from the 401K with no penalty - just income tax. None of that money could have been directed to Tesla ever. So I can withdraw that to pay for the 3, and use any tax credit left to pay for the income taxes on the 401K withdrawal.

Many thanks @22522 for pointing out those of us over 55 with funds in employer 401K account can fund or partly fund our M3 purchase by withdrawing from the 401K. In my case, the income tax on the withdrawal will allow me use the tax credit.

Reactions: Lessmog
All,

If you recall, I am a Telsa supporter with a May 10 date, motivated to push Tesla past all the thresholds needed for them to be successful - specifically supplier leverage volume thresholds for low/competitive component costs on a consumer relevant EV.

Also obsessive on meeting commitments, decided in no position to close the deal on the car after doing taxes last year. If I can't close the deal, I lied to suppliers, and Tesla, which is dishonest and violates the golden rule, among others. So I pushed my entire IRA balance into Tesla stock over the course of last summer, putting my ability to close into Tesla's, Elon's and now Ira and the board's (and the market's) hands. I will buy whatever model 3 the stock gains will let me purchase. (I have not swing traded or sold a share of Tesla ever - even though swing trading is the obvious way to make money).

Some of you expressed concerns about how folks selling the stock to pay for their model 3 might depress the stock price. Been trying to help you out. I do have some money in my current employer's 401K and that employment is coming to an end. Just making the 55 yo window before this most recent employment end lets me withdraw from the 401K with no penalty - just income tax. None of that money could have been directed to Tesla ever. So I can withdraw that to pay for the 3, and use any tax credit left to pay for the income taxes on the 401K withdrawal.

I will probably split the funding sources between a loan on the 401K and withdrawal from the 401K to minimize taxes, while still having a car payment (to self) in the $300 a month range.

So rest easy. I close the deal, without selling any shares of Tesla stock or negatively impacting the stock price in any way.

Your investment is protected from my model 3 funding actions.
Why not convert the 401K into an IRA and buy TSLA in IRA?

Many thanks @22522 for pointing out those of us over 55 with funds in employer 401K account can fund or partly fund our M3 purchase by withdrawing from the 401K. In my case, the income tax on the withdrawal will allow me use the tax credit.

There are some subtle things here. Employment with the sponsoring company has to cease after you reach 55, else one has to wait until 59.5, or something like that.

But the taxes definitely help use the tax credit.

Reactions: mongo
Status
Not open for further replies.