Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it has a traditional silhouette. And how we define "clearly Tesla."
The pickup truck is for the North American market.It will be a cash cow for Tesla. It will be a mortal danger to Detroit and force it to electrify. Any sales outside of North America is gravy ( a bonus).

Mercedes X Class for Europe.
00-Mercedes-Benz-vehicles-Concept-X-CLASS-powerful-adventurer-stylish-explorer-1280x686-1280x686.jpg

That's a real purty truck ya got there Klaus. I guess ya don't have much cause to be hauling lumber longer then 4 feet!

• Funny
Reactions: Skryll
As long as it has a traditional silhouette. And how we define "clearly Tesla."

The pickup truck is for the North American market.It will be a cash cow for Tesla. It will be a mortal danger to Detroit and force it to electrify. Any sales outside of North America is gravy ( a bonus).

Mercedes X Class for Europe.
00-Mercedes-Benz-vehicles-Concept-X-CLASS-powerful-adventurer-stylish-explorer-1280x686-1280x686.jpg

Volkswagen Amarok V6 for Europe

thumb-amarok-v6-wp.jpg

2018 Nissan Navara for Europe.

7ecc2ca8a6988b7f0ee65f14cda56a0f089b9ebb.jpg

You could have skipped the Navara or the X class. They are twins.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I found this of interest from two points: first the design of the station, and second the push forward of fast charging. Another ‘ultra-fast’ electric vehicle charging network is coming to Europe

I am once again pushing the envelope of electric/solar and this time like our X, I am ahead of my wife:). At our hideaway I want solar panels/roof. We need a new roof sooner than originally desired because the previous owner put new shingles over old, and more than likely did it himself or conned some high school kids into doing it for him. At this point I believe I am on barrow time. This same clown attached the eighteen foot second story deck ledger to the house with eighteen nails:-( Oh, it it was a relative that built the deck for him.

The design shown in the article caught my attention because, I could build a basic frame utility shed with a roof to host solar panels. It would have a twelve to fourteen inch thick concrete stem wall about fourteen inches above grade, with anchored 6x6 posts (walls) and then a sloped & shingled roof from which to attach the solar panels. Cost is the key factor, since I prefer to design, and draw the plans myself based on my high school drafting skills, back in the sixties. The question I have gotten from the planning department has always been do I do my own engineering? When you design for the preverbal brick house, “form follows big a$$ posts and beams.” Anyway, I have told my wife, this structure could hold three cars and a Model Y, and we could fill in the walls and concrete floor later. Oh, and each bay would host a Tesla charger. I figure we will eventually buy the next generation X, the current X would be passed down to our daughter, while I will help our son-in-law buy a Model Y for his business; so I can barrow it without having to refill the gas tank:) Unfortunately I saw a fantastic German concept design for a BMW years ago that was outstanding, I just did not think at the time it would work at our other house:-( and did not keep a copy:-( We installed solar panels there despite the trees.

The other, more strategic point of the story is the “push” forward of fast charging EV stations. Other than Tesla’s next generation super-fast charging, no one is competing in the US; that I can tell from my basement over looking the spring fed lake. It is like watching an Olympic star sitting on the bench tieing (sp) his shoes while the starter gestures to the runners and states “get set.” Or, maybe it is like looking at the US auto industry and all you hear are crickets. There is an old saying, “it’s hard to fly like an Eagle, with a flock of pigeons.” I retired from Heidelberg back in 1993. Since that time Germany has embraced solar power and made grate strides forward. Okay, not so much on the EVs. On the EV side, the Germans are like the Russians in the car industry. The Germans had to buy an S and backwards engineer it. Don’t get your briefs in a bunch; I had to have an engineer backwards engineer our US manufactured aluminum prefab dock to satisfy the building department ~ it was not made of wood:-(

We (US) will get there so long as Elon keeps pushing the envelope. Yes I voted for his compensation package within days of posting of the voting information. And, no I have not been called or mailed anything requesting that I vote. I did get confirmation that my vote was accepted. So much for secret ballots:) Am I or we to close to the voting booth? Elon is an ozone layer way above my retired pay grade:) and worth it!

Voted my TSLA shares two weeks ago online for Elon's compensation package. Last week, got a phone call from Tesla saying I hadn't voted the shares would I like to do so by phone. I voted them again. Yesterday, I got a hard copy in the mail to vote the shares. Sheeesh. Anyone else experiencing this?

I had already voted via proxyvote.com this week after receiving multiple hard copies and I just received the phone call this morning.

Surprised they also call in Canada for this.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
Tariffs on EU cars to US.

Trump threatens to slap retaliatory tariff on European cars as trade war talks heats up

No wonder the BMW i3 price was slashed as reported by electrek. I think there’s a huge benefit for TSLA, but TSLA is not restricted by demand as we all know, but the supply. What do you guys think about this potential tariffs? Would it benefit or harm TSLA?
It could wipe Tesla out. Gain minor market share in USA. Lose half your sales abroad. Boeing, Apple, GM, any information technology company, anyone with a farm loses. Anyone in steel won’t be helped, cause GM and Tesla just lost huge markets, inflation goes up, interest rates.

Interesting times.

Don't believe this has been mentioned here yet but Gene Munster's firm Loup Ventures did a survey a couple weeks ago and found that at a $40K price point a whopping 17% of US respondents indicated they would buy a Model 3 and another 22% said "maybe."

Survey results: “Would you buy a Tesla Model 3? ($40,000)”

Yes: 17%, No: 61%, Maybe: 22%

Source: Loup Ventures, survey age and household income distribution representative of U.S. census data.

More People Interested in Buying a Model 3 Than You Think | Loup Ventures

I find these numbers striking and extremely positive given that the Model 3 is not even on the roads yet in significant numbers. It is quite amazing how quickly Tesla has become a real option for such a large number of US customers. Would love to see a similar survey in Europe.

Munster's interpretation of the survey results was:

First-time survey has limitations, but insights still valuable. Longer-term (10 yrs from now) we believe Tesla can capture 17% of the U.S. auto market share, consistent with our survey results. That said, this is the first time we have conducted this survey and the true value will be comparing future survey results to our most recent exercise. It’s easy for someone to say they’re going to spend $40,000 and harder for them to actually do it. Our optimism regarding this initial survey is based on dialing back the intent to buy by 60%, which would still indicate significant market share gains.​

Only one survey but definitely worth paying attention to.

It could wipe Tesla out. Gain minor market share in USA. Lose half your sales abroad. Boeing, Apple, GM, any information technology company, anyone with a farm loses. Anyone in steel won’t be helped, cause GM and Tesla just lost huge markets, inflation goes up, interest rates.

Interesting times.

Off shore GF (needed for increased volume anyway) would fix much of that.

Off shore GF (needed for increased volume anyway) would fix much of that.
By the time a new GF is built, the US may have a new president, I hope Tesla stay focused on the long term goal and not get wagged by these short term noise. Also keep ramping TE, semi, those may not get lumped into the auto trade war, and likely have higher demand vs production gap, and could help smooth out any short term impact of a trade war.

Last edited:
It could wipe Tesla out.

Nope. Tesla sold less than 28k cars in Europe in 2017, and well over 10k were to non-EU countries (8k+ Norway, 2k+ Switzerland). So, about 17k to EU countries. If they lose half of that, we’re talking 8500 cars annually.

But much of that supply could be pulled to the US, where there is currently a 3-4 month wait for newly ordered cars. They could likely push a lot of that supply to Asia as well, but I don’t know the current wait times there. So, we’re looking at a worldwide sales hit of maybe 5000 cars, maybe a lot less than that. It would suck, but not a chance it could wipe out Tesla.

The real danger is if this political trade nonsense goes on for more than 6-12 months & triggers a global recession. That would hit sales numbers everywhere, and would put Tesla in a very precarious cash position until Model 3 is in full production with strong margins. And no one knows when that will be.

Interesting times.

Probably not, eu has threatened to Target red state products to hurt Trump. Harley Davidson, Kentucky whisky and Levi geans.

Interesting times.

Since Tesla assembles Gen II vehicles in The Netherlands, they escape EU tariffs.

And as said above significant Tesla markets Norway and Switzerland are outside the EU and the UK may soon be there too.

Tariffs on European cars coming to the US would rise from 2.5% to 25%.

In theory, American cars shipped to Europe would see tariffs rise from 10% to 25%. Unless all hell breaks lose and WTO is thrown completely out the window and the EU goes above 25%. Expect Trump to at least match the craziness of the EU too in this scenario.

Tesla can gain significant US market share if A8,A7,S Class CLS, 7 Series 6 Series, et al go up 25% in the US market. These folks aren't buying primarily Cadillacs and Lincolns. Maybe Lexus. But a large portion would go to Tesla.

BMW manufactures all their SUVs in South Carolina so they would escape the tariff.

Mercedes assembles Model X competitors GLS and GLE in Alabama.

Only Audi,Porsche, Jaguar Range Rover, and Alfa Romeo build their Model X competitors in Europe.

I gather it would be easy for FCA to manufacture the Alfa Romeo Stelvio in the USA instead of Milan if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.