Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hank, I too often come here to TMC to check if there is a reason for a large price movement.

Usually there is no particular reason or a "low information" reason (nonsense being pumped out and traded on... some market participants believing the nonsense, some anticipating price movement on what they know is nonsense, and all but certainly, some trying to give the nonsense extra FUD power by trying to create the impression the market takes the nonsense as real and does not like it) and/or just a bit of human psychology (i.e., a stock running up 25% over 5 trading days can surely experience some "profit taking").

Sometimes something of a material nature is related to the move.

It is unlikely that this move today was tied to anything materially impacting long-term fundamentals.

Interesting take. It sounds like that could be a contributing factor.

I have to say, TSLA is an interesting beast on it's own. Almost entertaining if not unnerving as an investor!

Moderator -
Be nice, and that includes being courteous, to a new member.

Not all take kindly or understandably to snide remarks that long-timers instantly recognize as being at least moderately tongue-in-cheek.

And: Welcome, rocketlow49. As long as you're not a short-seller or a devious distributor of dastardly misinformation, this can be an interesting and productive site to hang out. And, sometimes, even a pleasant one.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It seems like paid troll activity is really ramping. I seem to see signs lately on this forum, Electrek, Clean Technica, Green Car Reports and Reddit. I assume they mainly stem from the fossil fuel industry.

Their disinformation campaign with respect to climate change was so effective they’ve made people doubt science. Think about that for a second. With a few million dollars, they’ve managed to sow doubt about science itself!

I am getting more and more concerned over how much damage they can do to Tesla’s reputation.

My fear as an investor, is these unrelenting, non-stop attacks may pay off and really start to dent demand.

I can totally imagine an army of them all sitting in front of a room on their keyboards hammering away negative news all day. I wonder if that was the reason why Elon try to buy the Onion - so that he can have a team that would get ahead of them to disarm potential negative news they write.

Reactions: kbM3
Interesting take. It sounds like that could be a contributing factor.

I have to say, TSLA is an interesting beast on it's own. Almost entertaining if not unnerving as an investor!

the idea that some might be taking profits after the 25% run? could be... but I wouldn't try to trade on it. we could be up a bit tomorrow and then FOMO could come in and have surge again several days this week.

I got calls this weekend asking about buying more TSLA. A week ago Thursday, I was making outgoing calls to some family and friends about buying n-o-w (I very rarely do that).

Moderator -
Be nice, and that includes being courteous, to a new member.

Not all take kindly or understandably to snide remarks that long-timers instantly recognize as being at least moderately tongue-in-cheek.

And: Welcome, rocketlow49. As long as you're not a short-seller or a devious distributor of dastardly misinformation, this can be an interesting and productive site to hang out. And, sometimes, even a pleasant one.
Sometimes hilariously funny by intent. Example from Thumper: "Silicon Valley is in Hollywood."

I can totally imagine an army of them all sitting in front of a room on their keyboards hammering away negative news all day. I wonder if that was the reason why Elon try to buy the Onion - so that he can have a team that would get ahead of them to disarm potential negative news they write.
Those guys are one major reason I sleep soundly every night in the recent dip. If that army of dedicated and hard working Tesla bears can't dig up any real bad news on Tesla, then there probably isn't any real bad news.

VA just pointed out a Szenario where Tesla achieves the 5 k/ w goal 4 weeks earlier which may sound bold for most of the critics here. Some people can’t imagine this simply because they are used to the Elon time paradigm but asking me there are a couple of good reasons why that over promising and under delivering may end very soon.

Elon makes a plan for everything and if he wants to get to his compensation he has to change. People may believe he just continues with business as usual but I believe he has layed out a plan already and even before the company who designed the company plan has been hired, to be able to surprise the market and this is not done by just delivering what has been announced before.

Personally I appreciate thoughts that are out of the boundaries the majority anticipates. This is just good for all of us like checks and balances. It a valuable skill to have people in the team who have other opinions and have arguments in favor for it. It’s a not so valuable skill if people try to make these people not sharing their thoughts.

This plays in both directions and to be clear I am not saying I believe this will happen but I appreciate his thoughts and calculations.

So, lets all try to absorb all thoughts we can get, weight them and everybody can make his conclusions based on it.

VA is pushing up forecasts and setting Tesla up to fail time after time. Hypes production and deliveries all the time and says crazy targets. Think. Not one times or two times but all the times. VA starts threads runs competitions raises expectations. If schonelucht (good poster) or someone else presents a medium forecast he goes after them. All I am seeing is hype.
Surprise! Surprise! Results will be less than the pump. Then, he comes back and complains about Elon. So, I ask: is VA really bad at estimating? Can an "analyst" be this wrong? Or, conspiracy, VA is a short plant?

Same story yesterday and today again. Pumps up production and everyone telling him to pay attention to what Elon is saying. Stock falls again. Listening to this pumping makes people guaranteed money losers.

VA is pushing up forecasts and setting Tesla up to fail time after time. Hypes production and deliveries all the time and says crazy targets. Think. Not one times or two times but all the times. VA starts threads runs competitions raises expectations. If schonelucht (good poster) or someone else presents a medium forecast he goes after them. All I am seeing is hype.
Surprise! Surprise! Results will be less than the pump. Then, he comes back and complains about Elon. So, I ask: is VA really bad at estimating? Can an "analyst" be this wrong? Or, conspiracy, VA is a short plant?

Same story yesterday and today again. Pumps up production and everyone telling him to pay attention to what Elon is saying. Stock falls again. Listening to this pumping makes people guaranteed money losers.

Based on VAs analysis, VA is super Bullish .. that part I think we can agree. Don't agree with a Short plant part ..

My first read of that German joint fund is that it sounds an awful lot like a GATT-verboten government subsidy/bailout. The U.S., for example, would never provide that sort of assistance to, for example, General Motors.

GATT existed from 1947 to 1994.

The WTO from 1995.

The original GATT agreement forms the basis of WTO but has subsequently been modified over and over.

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.