Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
by YouYou’s description, I’m worried that this one really might be autopilot’s fault.

What would be the ramifications if that is the case? I would be nervous of NHTSA shutting down autopilot,

Tesla sent us the following statement:

While we appreciate You You Xue’s effort to spread the word about Model 3, he was informed that Tesla does not yet have a presence in Eastern Europe and that there is no connectivity or service available for vehicles there. In addition, Model 3 has not yet been approved and homologated for driving outside of the U.S. and Canada. Although we haven’t been able to retrieve any data from the vehicle given that the accident occurred in an unsupported area, Tesla has always been clear that the driver must remain responsible for the car at all times when using Autopilot. We’re sorry to hear that this accident occurred, and we’re glad You You is safe.”

Surely his software is months out of date by now, plus with no internet connection he'll not have any kind of map data available. What you end up with is AP running on pure sensor input doing the best it can, and making things worse, possibly using a neural net not trained with full international variety of signage / etc, so it might mistake things visually ...

Still not sure why AP would suddenly veer ever (it should be making smooth maneuvers), unless it suddenly thought it was about to leave it's lane or crash into something. At least inattentive crashes are clearly due to not noticing AP going wrong over time, but if it was truly fine and then not fine ...

Hopefully he gets the car back fast enough that there's still enough charge in the battery that it connects to the network and phones home the crash data upon return to the states ;)

Here is some positive news coming out of Australia.

Is this the Gigawatt battery deal Elon was talking about?
Will this be the catalyst for the much talked about short squeeze?

Mr Gupta is talking 10 GW solar plus massive battery storage.
This is not a typo. Yes we are talking 10 GW solar with ? Not sure how many batteries or who will supply them but this is right up Tesla’s ally.

I believe Mr Gupta usually does what he says he will do.
8715208-3x2-large.jpg

IMAGESanjeev Gupta wants to harness the power of electric cars.(ABC News: Nick Harmsen)

The energy conference also heard from Whyalla steelworks boss Sanjeev Gupta, who wants to turn his company GFG Alliance into one of the nation's biggest energy providers.

The British billionaire outlined plans for a massive 10 gigawatts of solar energy, saying the proposal would be backed up by a huge grid-scale battery and pumped hydro dams.

The latest announcement is for 10 times as much power production as previously flagged.

"Our largest investments will be in solar. We have stated 1,000 megawatts in South Australia," he said.

by YouYou’s description, I’m worried that this one really might be autopilot’s fault.

What would be the ramifications if that is the case? I would be nervous of NHTSA shutting down autopilot,

My view is clear:

Confirmation bias says the "wide lane algorithm" is at fault. There is no such thing as a wide lane. The car shouldn't center, but rather offset from the driver side edge stripe until signaled otherwise.

In this case the car started centering as the "lane" widened, then it discovered a gore point. Never should've "centered/offset" past a valid lane width.

But, no Autopilot should run on. Tesla should vanquish the notion of a "wide lane." There is some hardheaded advocate of the wide lanes at Tesla that needs to change the algorithm to offset from the lane marker on the driver's side rather than center.

My view is clear:

Confirmation bias says the "wide lane algorithm" is at fault. There is no such thing as a wide lane. The car shouldn't center, but rather offset from the driver side edge stripe until signaled otherwise.

But that is exactly what caused the gore point problem in CA. The actual left side lane marking was worn off so it was following the right side lane marker for the exit leading it right to the gore point.

But that is exactly what caused the gore point problem in CA. The actual left side lane marking was worn off so it was following the right side lane marker for the exit leading it right to the gore point.

Yes, I agree worn lines caused the California death. But that car still had the wide lane feature.

You need a wide lane alarm when the lane is no longer a valid width.

California should have been:
1) Track the visible line to the left.
2) Alarm when the line to the right is too far away.

Are you kidding me? There are no maps, no cell service no way this is supported in the region.this is as far off the ranch for AP as you can go. Love the enthusiasm, but foolish in the extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.