Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The payload of one cargo 747 is about 115'000 kg. So 6 of them is about 600 tons. I have no clue how heavy a battery pack assembly line is but my guess is that this is more than just the line for the packs. Gromann will have more than just one project going on.
Maybe they flew the whole company over, equipment, people, office furniture, espresso machines :D

my main daily read is the legendary Financial Times. UK-based, owned by Nikkei: staid, objective, trusted. Quite frankly, the $18/month I pay for Financial Times digital access should be de rigure for any investor, period.

But their Alphaville section [still free to access I think] has devolved into a daily anti-Elon Musk / anti-Tesla mudflinging fest.

The payload of one cargo 747 is about 115'000 kg. So 6 of them is about 600 tons. I have no clue how heavy a battery pack assembly line is but my guess is that this is more than just the line for the packs. Gromann will have more than just one project going on.

IIRC some freight documents of the Grohmann line were posted here, which included its weight.

Can't find it though. Anyone?

Edit / Correction: Wasn't the Grohmann line.

Last edited:
VIN reports seem to have gotten affected by the change in VIN policies, but deliveries chugging along:
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 4.45.57 PM.png

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
That makes total sense.... our expresso machines here in Europe are way better ! ;-)

Yea, but you guys drink beer in the cafeteria during lunch too!

None of that will be allowed on the battery module production line, unless of course the line is FULLY automated and the workers have nothing better to do than sip on a cold one watching their stock options vest...

RT

• Funny
Reactions: NicoV
To avoid 200k in US in Q2, Tesla should put a lot of the MS/X/3 they build between now until late June on ships/trains to China/Canada/EU. After that allocation can change dramatically. The counter-part of pushing 200k threshold into Q3, should be to maximize # of sales in the US in Q3/Q4, and the # of US buyers taking full tax advantage, so I can see Tesla prioritize US sales for all MS/X/3 models in Q3/Q4.
I think they are going to have a big 4th of July delivery push.

These are likely quite akwardly shaped. I wonder if the limiting factor was mass or size?

Reactions: JRP3
Interesting, if they are over 5000 without the new Grohman systems how high will they be in July?
As they said in the ER (or the call?), they can get to 5k with the semi-automated approach, but once Grohman line is online they expect it will provide cost savings. In other words, it will replace manual labor.

Now, if it is successful, they "only" need to duplicate to to have a capacity of up to 10k.

I was lucky to meet You You when he was starting off from UK... Shame he won't be able to come back to do a proper M&G :(

There are many aspects of this and we probably will never know if AP was engaged indeed or not or what exactly happened (AP failure, driver carelessness or tiredness or anything else). I don't think that it really matters.

What matters is the perception and that's probably exactly why Tesla didn't want him to do this trip.

Unbelievable. It really feels like we can’t catch a break!
It's going to be part of being Tesla investor. With more cars on the road there will be more glitches, and inattentive drivers.

I'm not accusing You You of anything here, but there seems to be some rumored trend that more experienced Tesla drivers tend more likely to be complacent and be inattentive with AP. As more and more people own Tesla cars for longer and longer time period, this could become a bigger issue. Tesla's AP improvement needs to stay ahead of the curve. But OTOH, people may just keep getting lazier as machines become more capable, so it may be a losing battle.

I'm looking forward to see Tesla's safety reports in the future on quarterly basis to see how things trend. At least I will know how many articles I can expect from Lara/Dana every quarter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.