Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguably Tesla is pulling demand levers again....
tesla-email-blast.jpg

Here's my inbox since yesterday. Every email address I've ever used with Tesla going back to like 2012 (I would use different ones for different campaigns they had going, to track if and how and when they ever sent out emails to a particular address). I find it particularly interesting that the emails I set up for their various Tesla Solar campaigns are now being hit with Model 3 announcements, and yet, I have never been contacted by anyone within Tesla Solar or Tesla Energy even though I signed up for information and requested to be contacted for a quote.

It's obvious, that Tesla aims to deliver as much as possible Model 3 in Q3+Q4 for the US market and therefore informing people is the right way to go (regarding the Federal EV tax credit).

Don't forget there are a lot supporters in europe/china who also ordered 2016 and still wait...

So, hopefully Q1/Q2 includes a huge amount of deliveres to overseas.

It's obvious, that Tesla aims to deliver as much as possible Model 3 in Q3+Q4 for the US market and therefore informing people is the right way to go (regarding the Federal EV tax credit).

Don't forget there are a lot supporters in europe/china who also ordered 2016 and still wait...

So, hopefully Q1/Q2 includes a huge amount of deliveres to overseas.

The initial tax credit related consideration based on 200,000 Tesla cars delivered in the US had indeed been reached earlier this month. That determined three deadlines for a staged phasing down of tax credits simply based on the calendar with no delivery volume restrictions. So the more cars that Tesla pumps out over the next 18 months for US delivery, the more US Tesla customers will be able to get tax credits.

Last edited:
6k a week Model 3s? About a month.

A month from now or a month from the end of last quarter? Pretty soon produciton should spit out 6k Model 3's per week. If you predict only 6k deliveries per week, do you think American transit will be permanently 14k cars?

Considering they are still likely clearing the Q2 backlog... perhaps deliveries will just hold steady, or even go down before going up, depending on how fast they clear the backlog.

I probably misunderstand what you are trying to say. But they have a backlog in deliveries from Q2, which are the 14k in transit. why would deliveries then dip (beyond the few days they have/had the issue with the software to print contract information?

I probably misunderstand what you are trying to say. But they have a backlog in deliveries from Q2, which are the 14k in transit. why would deliveries then dip (beyond the few days they have/had the issue with the software to print contract information?

Possibility that Deliveries might stay steady : deliveries in the near term are potentially bottlenecked (if not, only because other factors are an earlier bottleneck) by transportation logistics, number of locations and number of deliveries each can handle, etc to some number X per week. If this was not a bottleneck before, it might be now. Perhaps by coincidence, the delivery rate during the time they avoided 200K was well matched to the number that weren't being delayed to avoid 200K - this would mean that once they stop delaying, they still can't deliver faster.

Possibility that Deliveries might go up then down : perhaps instead they can deliver far more than they have in the past, and so they will deliver the ~2 week backlog in addition to the ongoing production fast enough to see delivery rate go much higher for some number of weeks - but if the production rate doesn't scale up as the backlog empties out, then delivery rate will drop to wherever production rate is at afterwards

Realistically there is a peak rate at which they can deliver vehicles but trying to calculate it might be a fool's errand. Every delivery location (including galleries/stores, service centers, dedicated delivery centers, etc) will have quite different ability to deliver (due to size physically as well as in employees to perform delivery), and so will the delivery demand (or vehicle supply) to those locations (as the chances of vehicles being ordered exactly matching the capability of each delivery location is not very high). Some locations will have trouble scheduling deliveries due to too many incoming cars to deliver, others will have open schedules due to not enough incoming cars, and this may well vary week to week both due to the transportation logistics and also the various demand levers Tesla pulls (like opening up AWD or Performance models, as AWD is going to be more common in areas where AWD is typically favored such as snowy areas, for example - and this will cause delivery surges out of sync with other areas).

I expect that, overall, both production and delivery will trend up, and that overall delivery may just lag production by a week or two once we get past the backlog (which we might already be), but I would not be surprised to either see delivery flat or only slowly rising for some time despite more quickly increasing production, or a spike in delivery that exceeds production, then a return to previous levels and a slow rise reflecting production.

The initial tax credit related consideration based on 200,000 Tesla cars delivered in the US had indeed been reached earlier this month. That determined three deadlines for a staged phasing down of tax credits simply based on the calendar with no delivery volume restrictions. So the more cars that Tesla pumps out over the next 18 months for US delivery, the more US Tesla customers will be able to get tax credits.

Curt, thats true of course but many people here may not know that exactly the same is true for all M3 deliveries in Germany.

Its not a tax credit but a Government EV Bonus that is paid and ends June 2019. The more M3 Tesla is able to deliver the first half of next year to Germany the more people will benefit.

Curt, thats true of course but many people here may not know that exactly the same is true for all M3 deliveries in Germany.

Its not a tax credit but a Government EV Bonus that is paid and ends June 2019. The more M3 Tesla is able to deliver the first half of next year to Germany the more people will benefit.

I expect that someone high up at Tesla is keeping an eye on the expiration/introduction of subsidies in all major countries so deliveries can be timed to markets that maximize Tesla's global benefit from subsidies.

Since the German 4 k€ BEV subsidy expires with 2019H1 and since during those six months it exceeds the US federal tax credit, I would expect Tesla to start inviting German reservations holders to configure during Q4 so German deliveries can start early next year and keep up with German demand until 19H1 finishes.

All German reservation holders are waiting for the Model 3 to appear on the BAFA list of eligible BEVs here:
BAFA - Elektromobilität
- since that will be a sure sign that German deliveries are imminent.

Btw, hilarity will ensue once deliveries in Germany commence, with the media developing instant schizophrenia:
Das Model 3 ist fantastisch! Aber es ist nicht deutsch!...

Last edited:
I'm guessing this high rate is affected by the stockpiled cars from q2. I highly doubt they are doing 6k+ Production and instead, around 4.5-5k. this is from historical perspective not inside knowledge.
You're probably right; with suppliers getting to 6K a week or two ago, we should expect production to hit 6K in mid-to-late August.

Status
Not open for further replies.