Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the up side, this person worked there 3 years ago. Since the, they have done the 3 and also the big UI refresh.

Why is that surprising? Would you rather a ranger needs to visit every one when something changes (like a new current profile for a pack type (not sure if that is a thing, but I'd include it))?
Every Power product we make over 1000W can be updated remotely. True for about 4 years, now.

Is it just me, or is the trend towards remote pushed updates of everything seriously problematic? I believe there should always be a step of having to personally approve updates on site, because otherwise you've introduced a single point of failure for the entire system. A malicious attacker can take down the entire Supercharger network with a single point of access. And since you can always introduce an update which prevents the device from accepting further updates, it's an extremely high risk attack.

Except in scenarios where there's extreme urgency in getting updates out, the extra time required to go to locations to "pull" updates seems well worth it in security terms; it mitigates any attacks.

Reactions: hobbes
The UBS Model 3 tear down video that as far as I know only selected people could watch does show that people in the video work for Munro Associates. IOW the UBS teardown looks to be as speculated before the Munro teardown.

UBS released their cost break down after Munro was threatened by a law suit to keep silent and after he released his analysis the Model 3 to be profitable.

UBS continues to talk about their engineers and teams which looks like not to be true looking at this pictures.

If the tear down data is in fact the same and they come to different results than they have changed data or left information out to come to the result that the Model 3 is not profitable.

The more we hear from UBSs activity the more this looks like market manipulation and purposely misleading the public opinion.

I hope that the SEC is taking that information and starts an investigation.

Update: couple of photos I mentioned looking very much like what Langan described at UBS team are at Sandy Munro's facilities,

Imgur

Imgur

r/teslamotors - [Discussion] UBS Claim Their Teardown Study Found Base Model 3 Will Lose $6K/Car Looks VERY Suspect. Faked? Worthy of SEC Investigating?

Photo from UBS, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlZDumSXoAEf8BB.jpg:large from a video where UBS says their team tore down Model 3 and found it would lose $6K/car for the base vehicle, yet,

With respect to the "large gentleman in a model 3" looking uncomfortable, I will point out that he would probably be equally uncomfortable in a BMW 3-series, Mercedes Benz C-class, Honda Civic, or other similarly sized automobile. Bigger people are going to be buying a car that is at least 1 size class up.

Model 3 72.8" with mirrors folded in.
C-Class 71.3"
Civic 70.9"

The Tesla will have more shoulder and hip room than any of those cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
Can anybody comment on the effect of Tesla earning the bulk of the ZEV credits due to their sales dominance? IIRC Tesla hasn’t sold any ZEV credits in Q2, and they will earn lots of ZEV credits going forward. Elon has complained in the past about the low value of a ZEV credit on the market (I don’t remember the exact amount).
With Tesla earning the bulk of the ZEV credits, aren’t they in a quasi monopoly position to ask what they want for the ZEV credits? Or is the demand so low that a large part of the ZEV credits remain unsold?
Note that with Tesla turning cash flow positive, they don’t need to sell the credits, and can just keep them untill they can get an acceptable price.

There isn't a fixed amount of credits. So the number Tesla earns doesn't directly impact anyone else. The only impact is the larger supply Tesla has available to sell. But they don't have to sell them.

• Informative
Reactions: NicoV
3. We have enough money and have already won the game. Sticking with low cost index funds we still might die with 5-10 X our money.
4. Retirement is on the horizon. Time to no longer be bold.

This kind of sober thinking is important. I would never invest more in a single stock than can afford to lose. Index funds outperform most professional stock pickers.

One way to think about TSLA: suppose there is a coin toss. If the coin lands on tails, you lose everything you invested. If it lands on heads, you make 10x your money in 5 years. How much money would you risk? I think this is a useful thought exercise.

5. As a former stay at home retail trader, the wild price swings scare me! I think this is a mature position not recognized by new traders.

I think volatility is a distraction, although like most people I find it hard to ignore. Short-term price movements don’t matter. All that matters is the long-term growth of the company’s intrinsic value.

7. I would rather TSLA not push for profits, I want growth!

I think these are actually not mutually exclusive. Demonstrating profitability and positive free cash flow makes it easier to borrow money in the future. It opens up access to more capital. Moody’s fears of insolvency have to assuaged.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is the trend towards remote pushed updates of everything seriously problematic? I believe there should always be a step of having to personally approve updates on site, because otherwise you've introduced a single point of failure for the entire system. A malicious attacker can take down the entire Supercharger network with a single point of access. And since you can always introduce an update which prevents the device from accepting further updates, it's an extremely high risk attack.

Except in scenarios where there's extreme urgency in getting updates out, the extra time required to go to locations to "pull" updates seems well worth it in security terms; it mitigates any attacks.
Yes, some customers do not want it, so we disable it.

Hopefully they have a staged rollout, two factor authentication and a secondary checker of the doer approval process. I’d want basic launch control security, perhaps sometySpaceX operations can, does or has provided.

Other Manufacturers would have paid a lot for this ad.

Tesla gets it for free as inspiration searches for expression.

Heartwarming, but I'm not sure what the connection to Tesla is supposed to be, unless it's just that an EV is quiet / has less vibrations than an ICE, so deaf grandpa isn't missing anything / is sharing equally in the driving experience with non-impaired family? Or just trying to make the connection that good people choose Teslas? (to be fair, this sort of play to emotions without any real objective relevance is plenty common in traditional auto makers' marketing, and it is a artfully put together piece)

There isn't a fixed amount of credits. So the number Tesla earns doesn't directly impact anyone else. The only impact is the larger supply Tesla has available to sell. But they don't have to sell them.

Tesla doesn't have to sell them, but they have zero value if they don't (because Tesla has no ICE vehicles to use the credits against). At this point the credits are side show, as they can only sell so many to ICE manufacturers.

Heartwarming, but I'm not sure what the connection to Tesla is supposed to be, unless it's just that an EV is quiet / has less vibrations than an ICE, so deaf grandpa isn't missing anything / is sharing equally in the driving experience with non-impaired family? Or just trying to make the connection that good people choose Teslas? (to be fair, this sort of play to emotions without any real objective relevance is plenty common in traditional auto makers' marketing, and it is a artfully put together piece)

The connection is you have to feel it to believe it. Many people are staunchly opposed to EVs yet when they finally drive one, they finally get it.

I guess different people see it differently. I saw it as autopilot allowing the daughter to communicate safely with her father using sign. This, by the way, is a real issue for some. I have seen people driving with their knee so they could sign with their passenger.

Dan

Even the thieves enjoy the ride and drive just a little around in town....

Asking for a test drive would have been supposedly longer and without consequences.

Joyride in stolen Tesla 'wasn't long enough', crook says
"A man who allegedly stole two pricy Tesla electric cars from a showroom in San Antonio is disappointed he was caught so quickly.

(...)

According to officers, the suspect drove 16km to his father's home, got back in the vehicle and was arrested in a traffic stop.

Asked by a reporter if he enjoyed the ride, Tietz-Briseno said it "wasn't long enough". He said he didn't know where he was going, and when asked why he did it, just shrugged his shoulders."

Joyride in stolen Tesla 'wasn't long enough', crook says

Status
Not open for further replies.