Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a picture that includes the wheel. My VIN ends in 108xxx.

I'm really hesitant. It doesn't have any of the other new hardware like the centre console, trim, HEPA and headlights. Not sure if it's worth waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 104

I'm really hesitant. It doesn't have any of the other new hardware like the centre console, trim, HEPA and headlights. Not sure if it's worth waiting.

Eek! Tough decision man. I would be kind of on the fence as well. The headlight and hepa update would be really important to me being in PNW with wildfires and we get a bunch of rain which makes visibility challenging at times. Let us know what you decide and what went into the decision!

I know it's tough because it's nice the heated steering wheel is here but I really wanted the HEPA and the headlights would be nice. I don't care about the centre console.

Aren't people putting in HEPA filters into their Y's though? And what are the real improvements to the headlights?

Very nice!! Congrats!!!

No need to hesitant, enjoy the car!!!

Everyone has a different feel to these new feature.
Depending on where you live, the priority may be different.

E.g. if you live in cold climate, heat steering wheel may be more important than new headlight.
If the air quality is bad at where you live, you may want HEPA.

Only these 2 features are functional upgrade.

The new headlight has a different pattern, but the old one is not inferior to the new one. Both are equally effective on projecting the light onto the road.

Eek! Tough decision man. I would be kind of on the fence as well. The headlight and hepa update would be really important to me being in PNW with wildfires and we get a bunch of rain which makes visibility challenging at times. Let us know what you decide and what went into the decision!
Exactly what I am debating right now. I think I will pull the trigger if HEPA arrives. Just so hard to wait especially don’t know how long!

Reactions: Giraffe950
Welcome to the world of Tesla, there will always be bigger, better and newer. You will never be satisfied. That is why I have owned 15 since 2013.

haha one day I will be able to flip cars that frequently. I tend to keep equipment and big ticket items for quite some time. My 2010 4runner purchased new now has just over 200k miles. I bet I’ll have some massive fomo after they go with integrated batteries which have longer range.

Exactly what I am debating right now. I think I will pull the trigger if HEPA arrives. Just so hard to wait especially don’t know how long!

HEPA filtration sounds interesting but also expensive when it comes time to replace. I remember seeing this article, Tesla Model 3 protects owner from unsafe air even without Bioweapon Defense Mode, indicating the M3 (and assuming also the MY) have a very capable cabin filter. The updated headlights may also be backward compatible--even if it is the entire enclosure.

Good luck and enjoy!

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Have you seen the size of the HEPA filter vs the regular filters they stuff inside M3/MY? It's not just the material (like some 3rd party HEPA) but the sheer size that gives you the confidence. Frankly, I would wait. These are imminent changes that actually makes a difference (not just some cosmetic updates)

maxresdefault.jpg

nepgpwmr63961.jpg

Reactions: TespaceX
HEPA filtration sounds interesting but also expensive when it comes time to replace. I remember seeing this article, Tesla Model 3 protects owner from unsafe air even without Bioweapon Defense Mode, indicating the M3 (and assuming also the MY) have a very capable cabin filter. The updated headlights may also be backward compatible--even if it is the entire enclosure.

Good luck and enjoy!

You’re not supposed to be regularly replacing the HEPA filter. Even the SC people have told me just to vacuum it off every once in a while. The Tesla maintenance schedule doesn’t even recommend replacing until at least after 3 years.

Due to the large HEPA “pre-filter”, the SC has told me I don’t even need to replace the interior filter as often as one would with a MY/M3.

Have you seen the size of the HEPA filter vs the regular filters they stuff inside M3/MY? It's not just the material (like some 3rd party HEPA) but the sheer size that gives you the confidence. Frankly, I would wait. These are imminent changes that actually makes a difference (not just some cosmetic updates)

maxresdefault.jpg

nepgpwmr63961.jpg
Thanks for showing the pics and I totally appreciate your points. I would definitely wait for it if it is really "imminent" but I don't know if it is really worth another 3 or 6 month wait especially the current filter seems to meet my need in the Bay area wild fire season as demonstrated by the video.

Thanks for showing the pics and I totally appreciate your points. I would definitely wait for it if it is really "imminent" but I don't know if it is really worth another 3 or 6 month wait especially the current filter seems to meet my need in the Bay area wild fire season as demonstrated by the video.

If the smoke really kicked up you could just replace your regular filter more often to keep up the performance. I’m not that convince by the argument of “but the HEPA is much bigger”; size isn’t everything and the video shows evidence of efficacy. Which is more important to me.

Also, the big HEPA filter costs $500 dollars to swap out. You’re not keeping that thing in for three years if you’re experiencing the kind of brown outs parts of California and the PNW ran into last year. M3/MY filters cost $17 to replace and can also be vacuumed–which I have to assume only helps for larger particles.

I have HEPA filters at home and certainly believe in the benefit of clean air. However, they take maintenance for optimal performance and just bc something isn't rated HEPA doesn’t mean it won’t do a very good job.

If you can’t tell, I tend to think the advertising and insistence of HEPA filtration in personal vehicles is a bit of a white elephant for most people.

If the smoke really kicked up you could just replace your regular filter more often to keep up the performance. I’m not that convince by the argument of “but the HEPA is much bigger”; size isn’t everything and the video shows evidence of efficacy. Which is more important to me.

Also, the big HEPA filter costs $500 dollars to swap out. You’re not keeping that thing in for three years if you’re experiencing the kind of brown outs parts of California and the PNW ran into last year. M3/MY filters cost $17 to replace and can also be vacuumed–which I have to assume only helps for larger particles.

I have HEPA filters at home and certainly believe in the benefit of clean air. However, they take maintenance for optimal performance and just bc something isn't rated HEPA doesn’t mean it won’t do a very good job.

If you can’t tell, I tend to think the advertising and insistence of HEPA filtration in personal vehicles is a bit of a white elephant for most people.

this is very good point.

Consider how many hours you would spent inside your model 3/Y, is HEPA that important to you?

If you don’t have HEPA filter in your house, which you spend 10hr+ everyday, does having HEPA in your car make that much difference??

Of course everyone has a different situation.
If you drive your car away from your home far enough and go to area with significant air quality problem, you will probably want to wait for HEPA filter.

And if the air quality around your home is that bad, you should consider invest in a HEPA solution for you home first.

100% agreed. If you don't already own a HEPA filter home, you should ask why you need one for the car.

However, cars do travel into different area, smogs, air pollution can varies depending on the conditions.

HEPA filter also lasts a lot longer than traditional filters and are found in healthcare facilities. HEPA filters more than just regular particles, it captures nanoparticles that includes airborne viruses (Hence the play on Biohazard mode)