Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the smoke really kicked up you could just replace your regular filter more often to keep up the performance. I’m not that convince by the argument of “but the HEPA is much bigger”; size isn’t everything and the video shows evidence of efficacy. Which is more important to me.

Yes, HEPA isn't measured in size but its efficacy which requires certain level of filtration to be call HEPA. The larger surface area just means they last longer and due to its fiber structure need more intake to maintain same level of flow.

US air quality is AMAZING compared to China.

This debate is hilarious.

The same people waiting to buy to get one with it are going to be the same people that moan and groan about the cost to replace the filter. JUST BUY THE CAR.

we could have pinned post at the top of the thread: general “should I wait” thread
With a general answer thread: “No* (*unless you have a family situation, ability or condition that _drastically_ amplifies the value of an upcoming feature)”
I’ve been in these forums for a long time and the ONLY buyers remorse I’ve seen seemed of the kind that would be triggered by any feature coming right after: more of a predisposition, fueled by the arcane knowledge that next day models have a difference.
Sometimes you do get unlucky, but folks here in this discussion have a certain level of early adopter mentality if they care about headlights and castings and whatnot cutting edge aspect.

I do think some waiting is easier to justify now because there is a level of transparency and predictability added to the feature pipeline with parallel Fremont and China outputs, eg biohazard has a High chance of making it to the rest of the world, (as Tesla won’t want to fork designs), question is when. Eg If I had kids with asthma and I change cars infrequently I’d timebox a wait of a few months- because I’m driving another Tesla. But no matter when you buy - there’ll be new features weeks after your delivery. And the experience delta between no Tesla at all and a new one is substantial -no matter the little* feature give or take.

not only stock holders but also those who have missed out and wants you to be in the same boat. It's one thing rumor upgrades or the new battery pack but it's entirely something else when you KNOW the upgrades have been observed in production.

No one bought model S last month when the line was shutdown, if you did, then you are stupid... so don't be stupid,

not only stock holders but also those who have missed out and wants you to be in the same boat. It's one thing rumor upgrades or the new battery pack but it's entirely something else when you KNOW the upgrades have been observed in production.

No one bought model S last month when the line was shutdown, if you did, then you are stupid... so don't be stupid,
I have placed the order but I am going to delay the delivery. Could you clarify what updates have been observed in production in Fremont? I don’t think we are going to get MIC Model Y.

I hear Tesla might have flying cars in 2052, should I wait for that or wait until the time travel one is available?

Comments like this aren’t helpful. There’s obviously ongoing chatter about S/X getting updates and some evidence of subtle changes to the Y (heated steering wheel, revised underbody construction to minimize #parts during construction).

I have a car that I love to drive and don’t have to buy a new one but would like to and I’d like to buy a Tesla. My purchase horizon is within the next 3-4 months but could be as soon as next week depending on when my reservation gets fulfilled. Folks want to know what’s anticipated with regards to refreshes and when understanding the chatter on a forum will need to be taken with a grain of salt.

We know that there may be some interior changes of more notably the headlights and HEPA filters may make a big difference. The headlights may be a matrix technology which would allow for advanced features to be enabled if/when laws are updated to allow matrix headlights. There’s also some talk about auto-dimming side mirrors. Input from someone tracking changes these better than me would be helpful.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and DanCar
@xyskis In so many words, it is threads like this that prevent you from making a decision, not satirical comments like mine. Any refresh is speculative unless confirmed by the company. Tesla has historically made minor refreshes to each model - including now, Model Y.

Rather than viewing Tesla as a car company, it should be viewed as a technology company. That is to say, it should be expected, like Apple, that there will be updates but not substantive model updates. What are you going to do if they release a heated steering wheel option but then someone posts on this thread that they heard from a friend of a friend that knows an engineer that said Tesla is contemplating heated floors to keep your toes warm?

if you want to buy a Tesla, buy a Tesla. Listening to forum chatter of updates that may be forthcoming just delays the inevitable if you truly want a new car.

@xyskis In so many words, it is threads like this that prevent you from making a decision, not satirical comments like mine. Any refresh is speculative unless confirmed by the company. Tesla has historically made minor refreshes to each model - including now, Model Y.

Rather than viewing Tesla as a car company, it should be viewed as a technology company. That is to say, it should be expected, like Apple, that there will be updates but not substantive model updates. What are you going to do if they release a heated steering wheel option but then someone posts on this thread that they heard from a friend of a friend that knows an engineer that said Tesla is contemplating heated floors to keep your toes warm?

if you want to buy a Tesla, buy a Tesla. Listening to forum chatter of updates that may be forthcoming just delays the inevitable if you truly want a new car.

Everyone wants the best for their money.

For some people saving $60k to buy a car is most important thing in their life.

Saying " buy it now you are missing so much " simply is not right.

Waiting 2-3 months and get all upgrades you want is the way to go.

Just look at Autotrader and see how many MY 2020 cars are on sale by private party in "cold" states.
Guess what, they want heated wheel, and they probably regret not waiting for it. Now they want new MY with all goodies.

Model S owners know this very well, from 2016 to 2018 car changed so much and 2018 model cost at least 15-20k more in resale value comparing 2016.

Just wait when new batteries come out soon with 400-450 miles of range, all current cars will drop in value significantly

... Waiting 2-3 months and get all upgrades you want is the way to go. ...
The argument against this is that in 3 months there will be another set of rumors, of which this debate will continue. Should I wait for those features? Obviously it is a balancing act of get what you want or need today, versus waiting and getting an upgraded version.
Elon is going to announce autopilot 3.2 for Model S and X at investor day. Should people wait for that to come to the Model Y? Elon estimated two years ago that AP 4 will come in April of this year. Should people wait for that? Obviously it is a personal decision. Those that have a lot of money will buy now and buy later. Those will less money will try to time it right based on their needs, desires and what the rumor mill says.

The argument against this is that in 3 months there will be another set of rumors, of which this debate will continue. Should I wait for those features? Obviously it is a balancing act of get what you want or need today, versus waiting and getting an upgraded version.
Elon is going to announce autopilot 3.2 for Model S and X at investor day. Should people wait for that to come to the Model Y? Elon estimated two years ago that AP 4 will come in April of this year. Should people wait for that? Obviously it is a personal decision. Those that have a lot of money will buy now and buy later. Those will less money will try to time it right based on their needs, desires and what the rumor mill says.

Well said. I think we all draw the line at different places and some folks have illustrated that some have difficulty drawing the line to begin with. I do not. I also do not think that it's necessarily the wrong choice for folks to keep the marker capped and for them to wait until they feel confident in their decision. $42k+ is a lot of money for most Americans, especially now.

I wanted the heated steering wheel as I'm an avid skier and missed having that feature when borrowing my brother's Leaf. I'm glad I waited and delayed my match once to ensure I had the heated steering wheel at delivery as I would be regretful about not waiting and missing out on that feature, even if by 1-2 months. Would I be disappointed in missing out on HEPA, matrix lights, and greater range? Sure, but I won't regret the decision as the MY is still the right next car for me and my family.

At $55k for my MY configuration/taxes/fees, it's the most expensive car I've ever purchased but the overall cost of ownership will be less than my 16 MPG SUV which I drove 200k+ miles over the last 10.5 years.

Just keep waiting lol. There is always something better, cheaper, newer, etc if you just wait another 3-6 months.I’ve never understood this rationale with cars/tech. You will never buy because something better is always coming...

you haven’t been paying attention to the thread or the intel on upcoming changes. No one is talking about waiting for 4680 or wings or mr. fusion....

we are talking about features observed in production model Y in another region.

Well said. I think we all draw the line at different places and some folks have illustrated that some have difficulty drawing the line to begin with. I do not. I also do not think that it's necessarily the wrong choice for folks to keep the marker capped and for them to wait until they feel confident in their decision. $42k+ is a lot of money for most Americans, especially now.

I wanted the heated steering wheel as I'm an avid skier and missed having that feature when borrowing my brother's Leaf. I'm glad I waited and delayed my match once to ensure I had the heated steering wheel at delivery as I would be regretful about not waiting and missing out on that feature, even if by 1-2 months. Would I be disappointed in missing out on HEPA, matrix lights, and greater range? Sure, but I won't regret the decision as the MY is still the right next car for me and my family.

At $55k for my MY configuration/taxes/fees, it's the most expensive car I've ever purchased but the overall cost of ownership will be less than my 16 MPG SUV which I drove 200k+ miles over the last 10.5 years.

hey. It’s your money. Don’t listen to these folks making satirical comments about flying cars or Tesla is a tech company.... or their altruistic views of enjoy now (and regret later)

Imagine you take delivery now and heated steering wheel is available in feb....

Everyone has different priorities for feature. I once said I would never buy another vehicle without heated steering after years of owning one and switched to one without. I missed it dearly so I know what you are talking about.