Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General "Should I Wait for Upgrades" Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Plan B I know that Tesla's hold their value quite well but surely this must have been rather expensive to go through > 2 vehicles per year....?

It was not expensive, I always bought inventory cars so I was never in the hole. Never buy new.

Nowadays inventory cars are not a good deal for many reasons.

I made the dumb decision to buy a new Y which I hate so I will loose a lot of money off loading it.

I really want the new console design comes but I've been waiting for my 7 seater for over a year. Not sure if I want to postpone or just take delivery as soon as I get a vin assigned. Wish there was some insight as to when the console change was going to happen!

I am pretty new year but hoping to order a Model Y pretty soon. Can someone please clarify for me what battery improvements might be coming soon that so many people want to wait for?

At the end of the year you will get MY with at least 430 miles of range for lower price along with other upgrades. But you have to wait 10-12 months

I am pretty new year but hoping to order a Model Y pretty soon. Can someone please clarify for me what battery improvements might be coming soon that so many people want to wait for?

My understanding (also preparing to get a MY soon myself) is that the most one could hope for is that the MY Performance will get a larger battery as the ‘21 M3P have gotten. I’m not certain the Chinese version of the MY is advertised with it so I don’t see a reason for them to do that until US demand for the MYP has ramped down which does not looking like it will be coming any time soon. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Realistically I think the only potential near term improvements are 1) updated console—which does not provide additional functionally (but is available on advertised MY’s in China and is already present on US M3s), 2) updated headlights (which are advertised on MYs in China but no vehicles yet in the US, and 3) potentially an updated wrap around dash that is advertised on MYs in China but is not in any US M3s yet.

I know it’s subjective but I also advocate for buying when you’re ready rather than waiting. Every month/quarter you wait your current vehicle is deprecating, or if you don’t currently have a vehicle, you’re not able to have the benefit/convenience of the vehicle. So there are trade offs.

Why do you hate it?

Hate was not the right word to use. Let's say I am not a fan, that sounds better.

I am not a fan for many reasons but the main one is the size, I really like the size of the X, I like the lazy persons driver door, I like the falcon doors, the long screen, the dash cluster, the air suspension etc....the Model Y is super fun to drive for but for me its just too small.

I am currently driving my older CRV which I actually prefer to the Y....that is how much of a fan I am not.

The day you buy your Y, Tesla will make a change. It will not necessarily be an upgrade. It could be the elimination of the long range RWD 3, a price increase (FSD, for example), the deletion of cooled seats, as happened with the S and X. a center console change (as in the S, 3 and Y)} that was not liked by all and numerous other examples. It may be smart to wait for the S and X refresh, but even there the rumor is that there will be a hefty price increase. If you are looking for a 3 or Y, go for it!

Its awesome to find a group of people in the same shoes as me! I'm finally ready to order my first Tesla, looking at the LR Model Y, but am lucky to not be in a big rush to get it, my current car runs fine. I would really like to get the new wrap-around dash detail and center console update in my car when I get it, so I'm hoping those come along in the next few months. Also hopefully we will get some clarity on the 7500 tax credit from the new administration.

I do have one random question maybe someone can answer: if I reserve the car and pay the $100, would I be able to get the exact financing numbers, insurance, delivery details...ect worked out, but then want to wait until March to take delivery? How does that work? I haven't spoken to a sales rep or anything yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Its awesome to find a group of people in the same shoes as me! I'm finally ready to order my first Tesla, looking at the LR Model Y, but am lucky to not be in a big rush to get it, my current car runs fine. I would really like to get the new wrap-around dash detail and center console update in my car when I get it, so I'm hoping those come along in the next few months. Also hopefully we will get some clarity on the 7500 tax credit from the new administration.

I do have one random question maybe someone can answer: if I reserve the car and pay the $100, would I be able to get the exact financing numbers, insurance, delivery details...ect worked out, but then want to wait until March to take delivery? How does that work? I haven't spoken to a sales rep or anything yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

you can place the order, and then ask your service center to delay matching you with a vin until March. I ordered in October for a spring delivery.

I just placed the order last week, VIN was assigned right away with a delivery window in this week, but I told sales to delay the delivery. He told me the next available delivery window will be in March and I agreed and then the VIN just disappeared. He also suggested me to fill in all the information regarding delivery location, registration and trade in but leave the payment option as cash so that Tesla will not pull your credit report now because apparently the financial rate quote will expire soon. And without VIN I don't think you can set up the insurance now, Hope it helps.

It was the opposite for me and I couldn’t wait for the 2017 Model X lease to end. The power doors were a disaster. Multiple instances of the falcon wing doors colliding with objects, and front door failures that dangerously prevented egress from the vehicle. The MX shows it’s size on the road, where the MY drives like a sports sedan. I’d like to see the MX redesigned with regular doors (weight saving and simplicity) and an ultra wide screen that combines the drivers display cluster and 3/Y horizontal screen.