Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genuine Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone, feel a bit better now :)
A wise move. I felt pretty much the same during my delivery wait phase. I cancelled my first order and then ordered again. Then right up to transferring the cash the day before collection I was still in a "maybe I'll cancel" mindset. However, I'm very happy I did make the move. The car is far from perfect, but it's still a huge step up from ICE cars that the little niggles are worth living with.

When BMW produce an EV that's as functional and performant as a Tesla and has the supercharger network to support it, then I might go looking there, but in the meantime Tesla is really the best EV option by far.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I haven’t done any modifications to mine at all (LR 3 months old), not even the number plates. Maybe the fact that it’s a salary sacrifice lease car is something to do my attitude but frankly I cannot be doing with messing about. It’s a very good car as it comes and I enjoy driving it as it is. One point someone made above about it being a £17k car with £40k of battery/tech resonates with me. I’ve had BMWs, Audis, Volvos and Mercs over the years but for 3 years from 2008 lived in Paris so bought an old Ford Focus that I wouldn’t be too upset about being damaged by local attitudes to dinging cars (a good call in hindsight, it was comprehensively trashed with both wing mirrors knocked off it and many many dings after 3 years). The Tesla build quality, cabin noise, boot closing etc really do remind me more of that old Focus than of recent high end cars I’ve owned. Not that it’s terrible, it’s “fine” just as the Focus was “fine”, but not in the same physical quality league as a £50k Audi or BMW or even Volvo. The tech on the other hand is in a very different league.

I haven’t done any modifications to mine at all (LR 3 months old), not even the number plates. Maybe the fact that it’s a salary sacrifice lease car is something to do my attitude but frankly I cannot be doing with messing about. It’s a very good car as it comes and I enjoy driving it as it is. One point someone made above about it being a £17k car with £40k of battery/tech resonates with me. I’ve had BMWs, Audis, Volvos and Mercs over the years but for 3 years from 2008 lived in Paris so bought an old Ford Focus that I wouldn’t be too upset about being damaged by local attitudes to dinging cars (a good call in hindsight, it was comprehensively trashed with both wing mirrors knocked off it and many many dings after 3 years). The Tesla build quality, cabin noise, boot closing etc really do remind me more of that old Focus than of recent high end cars I’ve owned. Not that it’s terrible, it’s “fine” just as the Focus was “fine”, but not in the same physical quality league as a £50k Audi or BMW or even Volvo. The tech on the other hand is in a very different league.

Agree totally with this. The ride isn't great either for car in this price range however and it's a big HOWEVER there are lots of pluses.

You’re also paying towards the growth of the Supercharger Network when you buy any Tesla and contributing to the adoption of electric vehicles.

Not sure why so many people go for the Performance model over the LR. When you factor in the loss of the grant, the extras aren’t value for money IMHO. But, if money wasn’t a big factor in the equation....

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
To put a slightly different view forward, the majority of my decision-making process was based on the 0%,1%,2% BIK over the next three years.

How else can I drive a car for an average of less than 20 quid a month additional income tax? To be honest, I'm willing to make a fair few sacrifices for that.

I've had an Audi A6, and quite a few Mazda 6s. The former was expensive as a company car and the latter proved a very good balance of value for money, performance, trim/spec and build quality.

There are compromises even at the Mazda vs. model 3 level, let alone BMW/Audi, but there are also massive positives. The performance is one thing obviously, but I also am happy to try something different and be a little unconventional. I might not have been so willing if there wasn't such a significant saving - as reflected in my decision not to look at a BMW 330e or 530e, for example. It's a compromise that still involves a change in lifestyle, to use it properly, and it still attracts 10% BIK.

I often do fairly long journeys for work. last Thursday, I did a round trip of just over 300 miles and averaged 220 wh/mile. I charged once, whilst getting something to eat on the way home. The car filled up enough to get home before I did. To me, it's looking like it's going to be a workable solution.

Luke

I would also add to the point made about battery vs car costs that Tesla have designed the Model 3 down to an 'affordable' cost compared to the S & X models which are much more luxurious. Things like better sound isolation, autonomous door/frunk/boot opening-closing, carpeting, heads up displays etc etc. On my car there's no wind noise even at high speeds but some road surfaces become quite noisy at above 60.

I can only speak as I find but my Model 3 paintwork was without fault when I got it in April & still is at 2.3k miles (as is my Daughters 2 1/2 year old Model X after +40k miles).

I did fit mudguards the day after delivery though because paint on any car in that area is going to be subject to stones, grit, salt etc & I've used them ever since my first Ford in the 70s started pitting within a year. Better to be safe than sorry.

Ref the Mudflaps thing you are right. Mine actually came with fronts fitted so not sure what's happening there. As a friend on here got his a few weeks prior without.

If you read my post in the deliveries thread you will see the start of my experience was awful. Honestly, pretty much forgotten about it now as I enjoy every drive. Like others have said it's not perfect but what is!