Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: New York, 7/20- 7-/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited to post the next one. It's currently rendering so probably not tonight. But it's a nice long quality in-depth press-every-possible-thing-I-can on the infotainment and instrument cluster ... in super high quality. There's lots of stuff in there that I hadn't seen before, and especially not clearly.

Uploading to Youtube now.. ETA is 30 minutes... the URL will be: http://youtu.be/C46xEd-UDPc

Do tell! This is the sort of stuff I'm sure Tesla is taking note of, since these drives are effectively accelerated wear testing.

I've made this point in other threads. At this point the test vehicles are effectively years old already. Hundreds of test drives and literally thousands of people have got into, and exited the car, snapped and unsnapped seat belts, rapped the body panels with their knuckles to see how well built they were, etc. In real cars, passengers wont wiggle everything to see how strongly its made. For that matter, in most cases having passengers at all will be rare.

cinergi, you are on fire man! I considered swinging back through today on my way back from upstate NY (drove past the sheraton on 287) but the baby as in full beast mode. These videos are a nice consolation prize ;)

Couple of additional tidbits:

- The tesla person on the test drive with me noted that they had electronically limited the speeds on the test drive to 80 mph after some of the experiences in the earlier test drives. (No, I didn't test the limits).

- Everyone swore up and down there was no change in their commitments to 2012 production volume.

- No way current cars will get adaptive cruise given the degree of changes required. perhaps a future model year.

Not surprised about the Adaptive Cruise issue. Adaptive Cruise requires specialized hardware (to go along with relatively complicated software), which means potentially substantial engineering changes to the vehicle. I would also wonder whether it opens Tesla up to liability that they would rather not have as a small company.

None of the cars at the events will have more than a few hundred miles on them. One already has a flat, and because there is no spare...

Huh? More like a few thousand miles on each car (the number of test drives per car is in the hundreds already, with each test drive lasting an average of 10-15 minutes).

The entire Get Amped Tour is scheduled for something like 5,000 test drives and we are well into that schedule now, with the really large events already in the past. I haven't looked into this, but based on the length of time allocated to a typical test drive, I'd be shocked if the routes have averaged less than 6-8 miles. Every single route has been specifically chosen to include a bad section of road to demonstrate the suspension.

So the test drives will cover anywhere between 30,000-40,000 miles over roads likely to be worse than normal on low profile tires which are engineered more for performance than durability. I'd say that the odds of hitting a nail (or any other gremlin issue requiring a repair) are extremely good over that distance.

So your statement is both misinformed (in terms of how far each vehicle has probably driven), and fails to recognize that a single flat tire in the course of tens of thousands of vehicle miles is just not statistically significant.

cinergi, holy cow, I think you just posted more test drive video than everybody else on the forum combined! :cool:

I'm watching your Infotainment video, and I noticed at 1:40 or so, there seems to be some flaking of the finish around the steering wheel buttons on the right side. Am I seeing correctly?

cinergi, holy cow, I think you just posted more test drive video than everybody else on the forum combined! :cool:

I'm watching your Infotainment video, and I noticed at 1:40 or so, there seems to be some flaking of the finish around the steering wheel buttons on the right side. Am I seeing correctly?

:smile:
Yup, you're seeing correctly.

Thanks, juice. This is the first time we've seen the air suspension "sit down" at high speeds and then come back up on the exit ramp. I was struck by your wife's comment that she didn't like the new rear "opportunity console." Could you please post some of her thoughts about why she didn't like, and how it could be improved?

Thanks for the compliment! She wasn't a big fan of the rear opportunity console because it took up a bunch of space in the back and she thought it definitely looked like an afterthought. The only other time she sat in the back of the Tesla was in the Beta, and it had no rear console and she was very impressed with how roomy the back seat area was (yow)! :) Ultimately, she would hope for something that was more integrated into the car so that it would not compromise the back seat as much. It's an option I won't get, at least in it's current state, but it's not something I'm particularly concerned about anyways. We were both thoroughly impressed with the car!

I've heard virtually ZERO cooling noise from the Model S. Being driven hard in 85 degree weather.. the Roadster would be whirring away. The Model S pulls up from a test drive and it's still silent. Even if the A/C is going, there's very little external noise.

The cooling got going louder on the second day. Probably full A/C and a ridiculously aggressive drive -- even the employees were surprised. This time the fan noise was noticeable but still relatively subdued. The fans slowed down to ultra-quiet within 15 seconds of the car arriving and coming to a stop. Nothing concerning, but it is possible to get some audible exterior cooling from the S -- but still quieter than the Roadster.

Some frames of the videos I took of a few stickers ...

Model S Driver Door Sticker 2.jpg

Model S Driver Door Sticker.jpg

Model S Emission Control Sticker.jpg

Model S Info Sticker on trunk.jpg