Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Seattle, 7/6 - 7/8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree with the assessment of the Seattle course being poor. I am a conservative driver, so drove the speed limit and never had the opportunity to "punch-it". I spent the first part of the course adjusting to the car, and spent much of the course navigating traffic rather than assessing the details of the vehicle. I look at the luxurious drive videos from the Fremont event, and frankly, I feel cheated. I am no closer to deciding if I will ultimately purchase the vehicle.

The standard regen braking really bothered me (I like to take my foot off the pedal), but did not have the sense to try the other option, I was just too distracted. Then the fallback of setting the regen to low concerns me, as the Tesla reps thought the brake pedal never contributes to energy harvesting (which is different to other EVs and hybrids I've driven).

Between my interaction with the regen and the course, I was so dismayed I went out and test drove a Nissan Leaf. I spent about the same time in Bellevue on I405 (one exit up and back) and local roads, and vastly more enjoyed the drive. The Model S is a much nicer car (on paper, and just statically enjoying the interior/exterior), but I am left numb by the unpleasant drive.

For someone who has obsessed over this car for 3+ years (less than P1000), and marvel at what Elon and team have achieved (long position TSLA), it pains me to say I am genuinely disappointed with today's experience.

I have to agree with the assessment of the Seattle course being poor. I am a conservative driver, so drove the speed limit and never had the opportunity to "punch-it". I spent the first part of the course adjusting to the car, and spent much of the course navigating traffic rather than assessing the details of the vehicle. I look at the luxurious drive videos from the Fremont event, and frankly, I feel cheated. I am no closer to deciding if I will ultimately purchase the vehicle.

The standard regen braking really bothered me (I like to take my foot off the pedal), but did not have the sense to try the other option, I was just too distracted. Then the fallback of setting the regen to low concerns me, as the Tesla reps thought the brake pedal never contributes to energy harvesting (which is different to other EVs and hybrids I've driven).

Between my interaction with the regen and the course, I was so dismayed I went out and test drove a Nissan Leaf. I spent about the same time in Bellevue on I405 (one exit up and back) and local roads, and vastly more enjoyed the drive. The Model S is a much nicer car (on paper, and just statically enjoying the interior/exterior), but I am left numb by the unpleasant drive.

For someone who has obsessed over this car for 3+ years (less than P1000), and marvel at what Elon and team have achieved (long position TSLA), it pains me to say I am genuinely disappointed with today's experience.

The regen on the accelerator really is the way to go. It does take some getting used to but I wouldn't pass on your car for that reason alone.

Went on the 4pm test drive today. Drove the black performance version. Worried the route would be inadequate but was able to punch it to 60mph on a couple of the streets.

Acceleration almost like the Roadster, all the glowing reviews about how it drives are all true
Extremely quiet
Great factory premium stereo, will not need to get third party upgrades (and I come from a Krell, Wilson Audio background)
Comfortable front seats
17" screen easily seen during bright sun light and while wearing polarized sunglasses
Tons of rear leg space for all three passengers
Smooth regen (didn't know what setting they were set on) but could have been more aggressive for my taste

Dislikes:
Cup holder position - I had to reach back uncomfortablely while driving. While I did not find this dangerous, it would be annoying during daily commutes to work.
No adjustable head rests, especially the rears. My wife felt it was too hard and low when I punched it. Sorry honey:redface::redface::redface::smile:
No hidden storage for small items. I am very curious to see what the opportunity console finally looks like.
Rear glass appeared very narrow in the rear-view mirror, this will probably be something I will have to get used to in all newer sedans.

Totally 2 thumbs up!

Saturday, 07/07, 2pm slot. I got there about 1pm (and had card #1 for that hour)

I had card #3 for that same time slot. Even though I was the 3rd car to leave I arrived back at Tesla WAY before the two cars that left before me. My passengers gave me a really hard time when I blew by you guys on HWY 99. I didn't noticed the other two Teslas when I swung into the left lane and really enjoyed the snap of acceleration that you get between 40-60. Really a fun ride and the car was incredible! I was in white non-performance model but it still had plenty of power to spare. Put my Mercedes to shame.

Had a great test drive yesterday. We have a video which needs editing before posting. Drove the White non-perf, 19", non-pano, tan interior. Was able to get it to 70 once and able to floor it about 9 times. Giggling while gripping the wheel and resisting the urge to take it home.

Driving Model S feels less like driving a car and more like driving a roller coaster since it makes no noise, is smooth and turns on rails. The car seemed to fade away until it was just the steering wheel and pedal. None of the other cruft that comes with ICE cars. These are all the driver should require. The fantasy is true and you will not need belief once you have driven; you will have proof. Of course their are needed refinements and a few drawbacks (rear head and leg room to be exact), but holy sh$t, it's an f-ing ninja super model rocketship on rails. All other cars, ICE or EV, need not apply. When you get into your Bentley or Maserati or whatever you think is "better" it will only be a facade that you tell others who you know have not driven Model S yet. There is no analogy which is perfect but can you live without internet or a smartphone? Certainly Model S is not for everyone, Gen III is coming to fix that, but I challenge anyone with means to drive one and not pine for one.

Last edited:
Had a great test drive yesterday. We have a video which needs editing before posting. Drove the White non-perf, 19", non-pano, tan interior. Was able to get it to 70 once and able to floor it about 9 times. Giggling while gripping the wheel and resisting the urge to take it home.

Driving Model S feels less like driving a car and more like driving a roller coaster since it makes no noise, is smooth and turns on rails. The car seemed to fade away until it was just the steering wheel and pedal. None of the other cruft that comes with ICE cars. These are all the driver should require. The fantasy is true and you will not need belief once you have driven; you will have proof.

Your review sounds almost exactly like mine from Fremont, Disco :) I drove the exact same car (sorry about those white-knuckle imprints on the steering wheel ;))

Speaking of "resisting the urge to take it home", I mentioned that to my co-pilot as I was literally 7 miles from home - he said something about zen and the art of patience!

Driving Model S feels less like driving a car and more like driving a roller coaster since it makes no noise, is smooth and turns on rails. The car seemed to fade away until it was just the steering wheel and pedal. None of the other cruft that comes with ICE cars. These are all the driver should require. The fantasy is true and you will not need belief once you have driven; you will have proof. Of course their are needed refinements and a few drawbacks (rear head and leg room to be exact), but holy sh$t, it's an f-ing ninja super model rocketship on rails. All other cars, ICE or EV, need not apply. When you get into your Bentley or Maserati or whatever you think is "better" it will only be a facade that you tell others who you know have not driven Model S yet. There is no analogy which is perfect but can you live without internet or a smartphone? Certainly Model S is not for everyone, Gen III is coming to fix that, but I challenge anyone with means to drive one and not pine for one.

I have been interested in the difference in speed and "umph" one gets between the performance and standard production 300 mile range. Would you say it was a lot of fun to drive and the car felt powerful? Would you equate it to a Mustang GT or greater, if you've ever rode in one that is? I currently drive a V6 Mustang, not GT, though I feel for the price I am paying I am hoping for something with a strong kick without having to drop the extra money for the performance model. I will be replacing my Mustang with the Model S. While speed isn't as important to me as other items, the "Rollercoaster" feel is very enticing.

The regen on the accelerator really is the way to go. It does take some getting used to but I wouldn't pass on your car for that reason alone.

I don't know why regen shouldn't always be on when your foot is off the accelerator? As long as you're moving fast enough to assist in stopping. Why would you want to disengage regen with your foot on the brake? After all, when you put your foot on the brake your intention is to stop.

P.S. If I have to make a panic stop, I want every advantage the car can give me. I.e., brakes on all four wheels and regen, if the car is still moving enough to produce any.

Last edited:
I don't know why regen shouldn't always be on when your foot is off the accelerator? As long as you're moving fast enough to assist in stopping. Why would you want to disengage regen with your foot on the brake? After all, when you put your foot on the brake your intention is to stop.

That's the way I like it (you take your foot off the accelerator and the regen kicks in). I think that is what you were asking. I'm not sure if regen is disabled with the brake but you'll find you almost never need the brake unless you're going only a few mph and need to stop at a light. It is very easy to modulate your speed with just the accelerator.

If you haven't had the chance to drive the Model S (I haven't but assume it's the same as the Roadster with the regen maybe even less strong) it is great. One pedal driving with regen kicking in when you let off the accelerator allows you to very easily control your speed, to start slowing around corners without breaking and makes driving in traffic really easy. If regen is tied to your brake, you have to be pressing the brake down some for it to engage.

P.S. If I have to make a panic stop, I want every advantage the car can give me. I.e., brakes on all four wheels and regen, if the car is still moving enough to produce any.
My first thought on reading the original post was "Troll". Found it nice that nobody fed it.

Perhaps because I've driven the MSp, I just didn't read into the original post a complaint that the regen was shut off during braking. Drive it, you'll see/feel. There was no 'gap' in braking performance between taking my foot off the accelerator and pushing harder on the brake. The regen is like taking foot off gas in an old-style manual transmission; you'll get deceleration from engine resistance. Place pressure on brake and you get that PLUS the regen.

To the ability to keep a steady speed: my current car (2010 Jetta TDI) takes a very soft touch on the accelerator to keep a 50-60mph cruising speed. I drove it to/from the test drive event (Fremont was my local event) and noted the differences. It will be very interesting when I switch back and forth between the TDI and the MSp on a weekly basis since they drive somewhat differently.

Cruising speed in the TDI is a matter of tapping the accelerator occasionally. 30% of the time I've got my foot off it. Cruising speed in the MSp is a matter of choosing an accelerator position and staying there. Both are easy for me, so I have trouble understanding how anybody could have an issue with it.

If I have to make a panic stop, I want every advantage the car can give me. I.e., brakes on all four wheels and regen, if the car is still moving enough to produce any.

If you are in a panic situation, features such as VSC, ABS, etc. rely on controlling the wheels using the brakes. They can't do this precisely if there is additional input from regen. Regen should be active unless any of the safety features are active, so just stepping on the brakes shouldn't stop regen until you step on them hard enough to engage one of the safety systems. Of course, like other posters have said, you'll hardly use the brakes under normal circumstances so it's kind of a moot point.

That first time poster must have been a troll....

I had the number 1 spot in the 10am Saturday slot. Like it has been mentioned before, Tesla will let you pick what car you want to drive. While I was still undecided about the color, seeing the dolphin sealed it. I drove the black performance one because I wanted to see what a car with a standard roof was like.

While the Seattle course wasn't the best, if you took your time and waited for traffic to clear, it was sufficient Getting lost also helped. Lol

The car is amazing. I had a chance to floor it several times and got up to 60-70 on Aurora. Very much like the Roadster. The standard regen could be upped, but I can live with it. The car is very quiet, and VERY smooth, almost spaceship like. I wasn't planning on the air suspension because of the high failure possibilities (Lincoln air suspension nightmare), but after riding in and seeing the clearance difference, its a go.

The touchscreen is definately not laggy like in the betas. Apparently the black performance car had the upgraded sound system. This is one area that Tesla is behind in. It sounded like a stock stereo in any other luxury car. Definately didn't sound like an upgraded sound system should.

After the Test drive, the last thing I wanted to do was get back into my ICE. It felt like climbing into a model A after driving a modern car. It's definately going to make the wait harder to bear. This brings me to the start of this post. The first time poster couldn't have driven a model S, as I have driven both the Volt and Leaf, and they feel like they are a good 20-30 years behind Tesla. I definately had no problems getting back into my ICe after the leaf and volt drive.

One thing I forgot to mention on my test drive before (driving the non-perf black standard car), when I got in the car the windows were down. When braking, could definately here some noisy squeak from the brakes. Once on aurora I rolled up the window, later in the drive I heard the brake squeak again (faint, had the radio completely off). I could understand with the roadster drivers having the squeak problem from not using the brakes much, but test drive cars must be getting a little more usage?

If you haven't had the chance to drive the Model S (I haven't but assume it's the same as the Roadster with the regen maybe even less strong) it is great. One pedal driving with regen kicking in when you let off the accelerator allows you to very easily control your speed, to start slowing around corners without breaking and makes driving in traffic really easy. If regen is tied to your brake, you have to be pressing the brake down some for it to engage.

I drove it Friday, and the regen is great. But I didn't have to make a panic stop.