Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get ready for a *lot* of crap on Forbes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused, are you implying that pilots don't nap in first class and drink in the back? ;)

But seriously, we're going in circles. I think the name AP + the way it was advertised boarders on misleading. At the same time, anyone who spends 5 minutes doing their due diligence on a car purchase, would know that Autopilot != Autonomous.
Exactly, you won't be able to summon your car to NYC from your garage in LA for at least another 2 to 3 years! :rolleyes:

No. His argument (and mine) is that when you call something "autopilot" it should say what's written on the tin. If the car can't guarantee the safety of its occupants while changing lanes, because it can't see over its shoulder (which a proper automated or autonomous car can do) then don't call it "autopilot". It's misleading and will give a bad name to automated or autonomous driving. That's all. Is autopilot cool? Probably. Is it automated in any way? No. Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping don't make a car automated. They've been around for a while and they are just what you call "active safety features". Key word is safety. If Elon had had the roadster with these features several years back he'd have called them autopilot or starship enterprise or something. No question the man is a marketing genius, but that's not what Bertel's bet was about. Don't pretend like you're not understanding his point. That is bad faith.

Oh, hi there, Bert.

Just what do you think an aircraft autopilot (which this is named after) does?
This does everything one of those does, there's absolutely nothing deceptive about the name, it's actually an amazingly good comparison. If you think autopilot doesn't require pilots, please explain why there's always 2 of them on every flight?

Lots of people have issues with the name. And Musk may have oversold it's on-ramp to off-ramp capabilities, but Autopilot != Autonomous.

Autopilot isn't autonomous. That's exactly what green1 said. From Wiki: "Not to be confused with unmanned aircraft or unmanned vehicle.":wink:

Sure, Musk might be over-hyping the feature, but did they ever say it's fully autonomous?

Last edited:
In auto-pilot mode:

Tesla controls steering

Tesla controls brakes

Tesla controls accel

Human controls nothing.

Call it what you like (autonomous or autopilot, no difference) - if the car crashes while Tesla controls it, and somebody dies, Tesla better have its lawyers ready, as I'm sure they do.

I can name the forum members who will disagree with this post, most of them. God bless them every one. But they're wrong.

Tesla is not in control, the driver is in control. Just like an airline pilot is, just like I am in a car with cruise control, just like a machine tool operator is in control of their Machine.

Lawyers can put anyone on a lawsuit, but they can't absolve the driver of all responsibility. It says that on the tin.

In auto-pilot mode:

Tesla controls steering

Tesla controls brakes

Tesla controls accel

Human controls nothing.

Call it what you like (autonomous or autopilot, no difference) - if the car crashes while Tesla controls it, and somebody dies, Tesla better have its lawyers ready, as I'm sure they do.

I can name the forum members who will disagree with this post, most of them. God bless them every one. But they're wrong.
Considering how blindingly obvious tesla has made this, and how many clueless people still can't interpret the extremely clear warnings, and all the precedent with every other device ever made that accomplishes some task without the operator manually doing every single step, I'm starting to actually wish some of you would just go ahead and sue tesla and get it over with. I want a huge court case. That way people can ignore not only every word tesla has ever said, everything tesla has ever written, the entire history of technological advancement of the world, but also a judge's ruling.

It is positively insane that anybody is so obtuse as to think that this is a self driving car and Tesla should be liable. That's not how it works, it's not how it has ever worked before, and it's not how it ever will work in a world that I want to live in.

Last edited:
Considering how blindingly obvious tesla has made this, and how many clueless people still can't interpret the extremely clear warnings, and all the precedent with every other device ever made that accomplishes some task without the operator manually doing evert single step, I'm starting to actually wish some of you would just go ahead and sure tesla and get it over with. I want a huge court case. That way people can ignore not only every word tesla has ever said, everytging tesla has ever written, the entire history of technological advancement of the world, but also a judge's ruling.

It is positively insane that anybody is so obtuse as to think that this is a self driving car and Tesla should be liable. That's not how it works, it's not how it had ever worked before, and it's not how it ever will work in a world that I want to live in.

^^This... Couldn't have said it better myself... :) Okay so I tried anyways... :)

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

In auto-pilot mode:

Tesla controls steering

Tesla controls brakes

Tesla controls accel

Human controls nothing.

It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's a matter of pointing out how completely and totally wrong your position is. Somehow, somewhere, you've gotten it into your head that autopilot means something completely different than it actually means. I have no idea where you got this from, how this came to be in your head, but regardless, you are wrong. 100% wrong. Not kind of wrong, not sort of wrong, 100% completely and totally wrong.

Since you're the one who does completely irresponsible things with your car while autopilot is engaged, I only hope you have the resources to pay the immense dollar figure that is going to be bestowed upon you after you've killed someone with your reckless, dangerous, irresponsible, and above all, ignorant use of the technology. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think Tesla should take away your autopilot functionality since you're clearly not responsible enough to have it. I haven't gotten any support for that idea which is perfectly fine, I can appreciate why others wouldn't want to back that position for a number of obvious reasons. Either way, I stand by my assertion that you're a danger to the people around you when you're in your car...

Jeff

In auto-pilot mode:

Tesla controls steering

Tesla controls brakes

Tesla controls accel

Human controls nothing.

Considering the car told you to hold the wheel, you're 100% responsible.

In auto-pilot mode:

Tesla controls steering

Tesla controls brakes

Tesla controls accel

Human controls nothing.
As I recall, you are the person who posted that with your Tesla on Autopilot on the freeway you were reading and ignoring the road and everything outside the car because you believed that Autopilot was capable of doing all the driving.
You seem to have no understanding of what the current version of Autopilot is capable of and what Tesla specifically states it can be used for. You either deliberately ignore what Tesla says about Autopilot, or you deliberately try to stir up controversy. Since I don't know you personally I have no way of knowing which is the case. Maybe it's both.
Can we focus on how crappy Forbes and Bert are instead of the same boring AP debate?
When someone posts obviously incorrect information about Autopilot, or anything, it needs to be corrected no matter what the thread is about.
There is a lot of nonsense published by Forbes. Nothing new there...

I AM a licensed (airplane) pilot and "autopilot" is the perfect description for what it does. One could use the more technically correct but pedantic term "automatic flight/driving control system" but the point is: you remain the driver/pilot supervising the machine. Come on...

I AM a licensed (airplane) pilot and "autopilot" is the perfect description for what it does. One could use the more technically correct but pedantic term "automatic flight/driving control system" but the point is: you remain the driver/pilot supervising the machine. Come on...

I thought you guys were having parties and/or sleeping in the front of the plane!:wink:

Agree....Forbes should have more class (and smarts) than associating with this worthless scribe...you lie down with dogs...

"If you mix with fodder, the pigs will eat you." Same applies for accidentally falling into the feeding trough, only shreds of clothing and teeth will be left behind, we had a case like that in forensic path back in Europe.