Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting close to placing an order SR or SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - long time lurking on the forum and getting close to placing an order. I have placed a reservation back in 2017 but cancelled since the models that were coming out were beyond my price range. Now that the SR and SR+ are available either one of these will be within my reach. But having a hard time deciding between the two. I only drive about 20 miles a day so range is not an issue it. It boils down to features. Since the SR is basically software limited SR+ has there been any confirmation as to what is included as the standard features (heated seats, fog lights, autopilot, etc.). I know there has been talk that those that the purchased the SR (down grading from a SR+) have gotten these features but have they since been down graded. Thanks and appreciate the help.

Welcome. The most significant difference is Autopilot. The SR does not come with it. Adding it cost $3K which brings the car to $38K, or within $1,500 of the SR+. If you don’t need Autopilot the SR is clearly the way to go. If you need it, you have to decide if the extra 20 miles of range, fog lights and immersive sound is worth $1,500. Personally I don’t think it is.

Front heated seats are included in both SR and SR+. Neither car has heated rear seats.

If both fit into your budget I would encourage you to go with the + as the extra battery range as someone said during the winter will come in handy, especially if you only have 20 miles of daily driving. Short trips in general are less efficient. The cold will impact your range and I see you are in Pennsylvania. To me those (cold and general trip efficiency) would be the two primary reasons for going for a SR+.

There's no guarantee that you will be able to pay extra at some point to software unlock your battery range for the 240 version. As mentioned Autopilot maybe a consideration for you too. Having the Traffic Aware Cruise Control is very nice to have if you do any highway driving, locally or on a road trip.

Maybe a dumb question, but to you get the ability to listen to the radio with either option, SR or +. I guess you may get the option to upgrade to the SR+ at some point.

I will have to give autopilot some thought. Probably don't need aside from it being such a cool feature to have.

Maybe a dumb question, but to you get the ability to listen to the radio with either option, SR or +. I guess you may get the option to upgrade to the SR+ at some point.

I will have to give autopilot some thought. Probably don't need aside from it being such a cool feature to have.
You can listen to the radio. Some stations are limited because of frequency.

If both fit into your budget I would encourage you to go with the + as the extra battery range as someone said during the winter will come in handy, especially if you only have 20 miles of daily driving. Short trips in general are less efficient. The cold will impact your range and I see you are in Pennsylvania. To me those (cold and general trip efficiency) would be the two primary reasons for going for a SR+.

I am vacillating between the SR and SR+ as well and this is the one thing pushing me toward the SR+. We live in MA. Not to hijack the thread, but is there a general consensus on how much cold weather (sub-freezing temps) impacts range in the M3?

To be honest, I guess the other reason I lean slightly toward the SR+ is the inclusion of immersive sound, but from what I’ve read, there isn’t that much of a difference without it — definitely not worth the extra bucks alone.

specially if you only have 20 miles of daily driving. Short trips in general are less efficient.

If they only have 20 miles of daily driving then the 20 extra miles of the SR+ won't benefit them much at all. Also, short trips are wait the Tesla's excel at, while gas engines vehicles are the ones that are far less efficient. For the Tesla, if you have highway miles and drive fast, then you will also lose range more quickly, as you will in the winter as well, but 20 daily miles is a drop in the bucket for the SR, no matter what time of year it is.

-Stach

Welcome. The most significant difference is Autopilot. The SR does not come with it. Adding it cost $3K which brings the car to $38K, or within $1,500 of the SR+. If you don’t need Autopilot the SR is clearly the way to go. If you need it, you have to decide if the extra 20 miles of range, fog lights and immersive sound is worth $1,500. Personally I don’t think it is.

Front heated seats are included in both SR and SR+. Neither car has heated rear seats.

What is the source for the SR specs? I purchased an SR but it is still an SR+. I'm wondering if the restricted range will be 215 or 220 and have heard both ways about the front heated seats.

There's no guarantee that you will be able to pay extra at some point to software unlock your battery range for the 240 version. As mentioned Autopilot maybe a consideration for you too. Having the Traffic Aware Cruise Control is very nice to have if you do any highway driving, locally or on a road trip.

Actually, it seems Tesla does guarantee that you will be able to unlock the extra range down the road, per their announcement that all SR orders will be software-locked but mechanically identical to the SR+. My SR order is still a SR+ that has not been locked yet. But where are people getting the info about if SR will have front seat heaters disabled. I haven't seen a definitive source to answer that, and it might make a meaningful difference in a cold climate. Likewise, Tesla announced a 10% range reduction for the SR. Strictly speaking, that would be 214 mile range vs 240 for the SR. But I have also heard 215 and 220 as the range for the SR. Tesla can limit however they want, but I feel it will probably be 215, in line with the original product announcement from 2016. Please let me know if anyone has a source.

Tesla has been distributing a document to customers showing the differences between the SR and SR+. It’s been posted numerous times on this forum but I can’t remember where I saw it last.

Front heated seats are definitely included in both SR and SR+. Rear heated seats are definitely not included in SR/SR+. The range is definitely 220 SR, 240 SR+. Fog lights are disabled on SR, and immersive sound is disabled on SR. Those are the only differences.