Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting rid of cigarette smoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
So I'm looking at a used Model S and the interior reeks of cigarette smoke

The car is in such great condition inside and out, and fully loaded, but that smell is holding me back

I google'd it and found some ways... but don't know for sure if they will work.

Based on your guy's knowledge, would there be any way to truly get rid of that smell?

That's a hard one. Carpets and seats can easily be shampooed or steamed. The head liners are harder to clean and the smoke smell is definitely in those as well. I haven't found a simple way to clean those. Ask a good detailer. They might have the best advice as they are doing this kind of work all the time.

Reactions: Mr X
I bought a car that had been smoked in and used a variety of commercial cleaning products to help remove the smell. It helped, but ultimately the only thing that took care of it was time. A few months later the car was fine. I probably could have sped things up by buying a nice HEPA air purifier and putting it in the sealed car to run full blast every night while the car was in the garage.

I've never smoked in my life and hate the smell of smoke. But the condition of it is almost immaculate and it's the combo I'm looking for

This is how it looks

423vBmS.jpg

I'll talk to a local detailer and see what they say

Replacing the cabin air filter may help too?

• Love
Reactions: Spacep0d and P85_DA
I've never smoked in my life and hate the smell of smoke. But the condition of it is almost immaculate and it's the combo I'm looking for

This is how it looks

423vBmS.jpg

I had some success with an ozone generator. This was after a thorough interior cleaning and the use of odor eliminator products. A year later the smoke is gone but I can not get the scent of the deodorizers out of the car. If I did it again I would go to a detailer.

• Helpful
My wife bought a used ford escape off a lot that had be " sprayed" to mask the smoke smell . that wore off in a week and the thing smelled like smoke ( tar actually) for another two years. regular air fesheners, shampoos and leather cleaner finally go t it to a flat smell. that is tolerable .. I would steer clear

I de-smoke cars regularly at my detailing business.
Here's some pointers...
First, understand that removing cigarette smoke odor is a "chipping away at it" process, not a "one magic bullet" process. Even when all the following processes are executed, there may still remain a lingering smoke odor, especially after it's closed up and in the sun for awhile. From there you just have to wait.

* Like others here have mentioned, a deep steam cleaning of the entire vehicle's interior surface using an odor-neutral cleaner like Optimum's Power Clean is the first mandatory step. Even if it looks clean, you still need to remove as much smoke residue as possible. Focus on the headliner for obvious reasons; smoke travels up! Use a vapor-steamer with a micro-fiber towel if you have one, they produced minimal moisture and clean very well. A carpet-extractor is best for the carpets to deep-clean down into the fibers as much as possible.
* Pre-spraying surfaces with Tabac-Attack is another tool in our arsenal. This stuff is weird but it seriously works; it initially smells like cheap French cologne, but that dissipates quickly while the product does its work.
* Avoid anything with a fragrance like Lysol, Febreeze, etc. These perfumes will just cover it up temporarily, and make it harder to actually remove the odor.
* Ozone is a good option to help remove the odor, especially when cycled through the ventilation system. This isn't a magic bullet however, the deep cleaning still needs to happen first. Make sure the vehicle's interior is completely dry before introducing ozone. Ventilate thoroughly afterwards before getting in the vehicle. Ozone isn't deadly, but it's irritating to your mucous membranes and can give you a headache if breathed in high concentrations.
* Obviously replace the cabin filter.
* Chlorine Dioxide odor "bombs" should also be used (again, after the vehicle is clean and dry). I haven't used this exact brand but I would safely assume it's similar to the commercial product I use in my shop. Again, ventilate thoroughly before reentering your car.
* Foggers can be used to blast into the vehicle's fresh air intake system so it is sucked through your ventilation system. The idea is to get product into your ducting where it is impossible to properly clean otherwise. However the fog created isn't terribly effective, just another small chipping process to use. I wouldn't purchase a fogger just to do one car.

Ultimately, if the odor is REALLY bad in the beginning, I would only expect 80%-ish removal following all of the steps above, from there it just takes time. If that sounds like an issue for you then I would not buy the vehicle.

A reputable IDA Certified Detailer should be able to help you if this sounds too much to tackle in your garage.

Good luck!

I bought an ozone generator on eBay (much cheaper that way). It worked well, but was never perfect. The odor would bleed through again after a few weeks. I think the ultimate answer lies with Jason above. And like he says, it may never be perfect. There are some parts of that car that are going to be very difficult to get smoke out of such as the leather dash.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I bought a car that had been smoked in and used a variety of commercial cleaning products to help remove the smell. It helped, but ultimately the only thing that took care of it was time. A few months later the car was fine. I probably could have sped things up by buying a nice HEPA air purifier and putting it in the sealed car to run full blast every night while the car was in the garage.

This is how it looks

423vBmS.jpg

Oh wow! It’s pretty clean indeed.

Did you go on with the deal to buy the car?

I simply wouldn't buy a car that had been smoked in. I think you could find a non-smoking car as others have mentioned in this thread. Man, I rented a Hyundai once from Enterprise (last car they had) and the thing positively reeeeeeked of cigarette smoke. I almost puked. It was bad. Because of my odd physiology, my sense of smell is crazy good. I lost some hearing at a young age and apparently my brain rewired some neurons for the nose. That's my theory anyway. :D

Anyhoot, think of the amount of time and pride-of-ownership you're losing to that awful cigarette smell. I'd look elsewhere.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
IF (and a big IF), you are going to buy the car, I’d lowball it by $1-2k for the cost of professional detailing like the post above. It would only be worth the gamble to me if the price was crazy good. I hate cigarette smoke, but I also LOVE a good deal