Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory July 29 event thread for posting attendees photos and reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That guy was right in front of me, and he was recording the entire thing on his phone and he was in the front row right in front of Elon. And yes, it was really really annoying. He pretty much did that after every statement, some louder than others. Yes, it was full open bar.
LOL. Thanks for the play by play. He didn't by chance try to start a low clap? Perhaps he was saying yes to the open bar.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The tour was interesting in that it really drives home the size of the factory and the scale of manufacuting, but there was actually very activity little to see. I am not sure if that was because the tour was a 11pm at night or if the spaces they showed us were not ramped up yet (prob a mix), but the talked a lot about clean rooms and climate controlled spaces and the like, so I a not sure a GF tour will ever ever give you a raw materials > finished product experience like Fremont does.

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

^ Model of the GF on display
IMG_0773.jpg

^ giant ovens bake the lithium slurry on the the long sheets of metal - first one side, then flip it over and the other side. Was impressive the lengths they go to capture the solve vapor fro the slurry and recycle it instead of venting it

IMG_0775.jpg

^ Machine used in anode making

IMG_0776.jpg

^ High density rack storage for production--this thing was huge (both high and wide) and have fully automated storage and retrieval

IMG_0777.jpg

^ Lots of robots - I think this is one the moves stuff from the anode-making machine to/from the high density rack storage - the white stripe you see on the ground is a track they have on the ground for the robots to follow

IMG_0778.jpg

^ More robots - not sure what this one did, but it talks

IMG_0780.jpg

^ More high density rack storage - this is for aging cells - they plan to age them for ~ 1 month. Currently they use the trip from Japan to age the cells

[Hit my pic limit, will continue in another post]

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
^ giant ovens bake the lithium slurry on the the long sheets of metal - first one side, then flip it over and the other side. Was impressive the lengths they go to capture the solve vapor fro the slurry and recycle it instead of venting it

Reading over this, not sure if the substrate is metal or if I made that up - not a battery geek, so some of this flew past me during the explanation.

That guy was right in front of me, and he was recording the entire thing on his phone and he was in the front row right in front of Elon. And yes, it was really really annoying. He pretty much did that after every statement, some louder than others. Yes, it was full open bar.
I was in the back and there was a very annoying guy talking loudly with some Tesla employees. So loud I really couldn't hear the presentation. I politely asked him to be quiet or take the conversation outside. Others had expressed their annoyance with him too. He basically yelled at me and said "do you need security?" anyway I decided it was best to walk away from this annoying drunk guy. I think the tesla employees were too afraid to ask him to be quiet. Anyway he left on his own in the middle of the Q&A.

I would have taken the annoying "yes" guy over the loud talking guy because at least I could have heard the presentation. Either way people need to learn how to moderate their alcohol consumption.

I had a lot of fun at the event, and there are some logistics that could have been better handled, I think the main enjoyment of these things is to be in the energy of the room amongst us in the Cult of Tesla/Elon. Yes there were some annoying call outs from the crowd but when you have people who have already drunk the Tesla Koolaid and then drank at the open bar, the obnoxiousness necessarily comes with the levity.

Our tour number was very high (1800's) and we very nearly missed the very last tour bus because they didn't announce last call and suddenly jumped the tour counter several hundred points because the crowd thinned out after midnight. We were killing time waiting for a test run, and would have missed the last tour if I didn't look up and see the number jumped suddenly (it was previously taking about 45 mins per 100 and when we went for the test rides, the number was 1400, so we figured we had quite a bit of time even with the thinned crowd). It was worth the wait but I would have been really cheesed to have missed the last tour after being there all night.

To see the Gigafactory in person is to be in awe of the scope (and audacity) of this project. The Tesla engineers were impressive, friendly, and polished in their presentations. It was terrific to see both men and women engineers from different ethnicities. One neat insight they revealed was that they are continually reiterating while this factory is being built out. For example, giant oven had an increase of 80% efficiency which they then applied to the installed oven, and it now forms the basis of the next 4 they will install. The factory is aiming for a net zero energy consumption, so markedly reducing the electricity cost of the ovens is a huge step for this.

Listening to the way each engineer talked about how efficiencies of applying science and engineering to their task to help achieve sustainable energy makes you realize that it's just not a catchphrase for Elon to say for marketing reasons, but a real mission statement that carries through the entire organization. I appreciated how the engineers spoke to the crowd without dumbing down their words, and it's clear they are passionate about their work.

I was very pleasantly surprised we were allowed to take pictures and videos given the restrictions I've heard about for the car factory tours. The pictures and video being posted by members here wouldn't be possible without that. The sheer size of the factory needs to be seen in person to appreciate, and I hope they'll offer torus when the place is built out more!

To see the Gigafactory in person is to be in awe of the scope (and audacity) of this project. The Tesla engineers were impressive, friendly, and polished in their presentations. It was terrific to see both men and women engineers from different ethnicities. One neat insight they revealed was that they are continually reiterating while this factory is being built out. For example, giant oven had an increase of 80% efficiency which they then applied to the installed oven, and it now forms the basis of the next 4 they will install. The factory is aiming for a net zero energy consumption, so markedly reducing the electricity cost of the ovens is a huge step for this.
I asked about the 80% efficiency increase and that gain was achieved all in simulation not real world use, still cool but I found that statement a bit misleading from the presenter.