Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glad I Got The Towing Package Option!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my X 90D about 2.5 weeks ago. I ordered my 90D with every available option, including the Towing Package. I just spent the past week moving locally from one house to another. I rented the largest enclosed trailer that U-Haul offers and towed it with my Model X. The experience was outstanding. Given the weight/stability/low CG of the X, the towing stability was unprecedented...much better than what I've experienced with my previous BMW X5 and X3. The battery range was also impressive. All in all, the Model X is clearly a great towing vehicle!

19800706_10211918241644084_855976939720284812_o.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_871d.jpg

what kind of distances were you towing? also do you know the approximate weight you were towing?

I towed between homes in neighboring towns that are about 10 miles away from each other but getting between them, involves going up and then down some pretty steep elevation. Regenerative braking definitely helped recover some energy when going downhill!!!

I was towing about 2500 to 3000 pounds at a given time.

Andrew

Tesla uses a circular 7-wire connector which most trailers don't use. Most trailers use a flat 4-wire connector. Thankfully, U-Haul had an adapter that connected the two like a champ.

The flat 4 wire connector is for trailers with lights only. If memory serves, the 7 wire connector is for lights, trailer brakes and 12v auxilliary power to a trailer for charging a trailer battery.

Here is the video of Teslabjørn towing a 5000 lbs boat over a mountain.
Impressive. Any idea how badly range is affected? Just wondering what lakes I could reach with an X75D pulling a tournament ski boat with camping gear. Detroit Lake is 100 miles away, but there is super charger located in Detroit, OR. The trip has 2,270' elevation drop with 3,330' of climbing for a net elevation gain of 1,760'.