Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I have a preliminary order in for a model S (Australia). One thing that concerns me is the "compulsory" glass roof I was more keen when it had a bog-standard metal roof.

I have lived in the Southern USA and know the strength of the sun there, but Australian solar radiation is an order above that. You can almost see the UV and it plays havoc with anything exposed to it. Then there's the temperature - it's only the beginning of summer and they are forecasting over 45 degrees after Christmas.

Anyone down under who can enlighten me about their experience with this roof and its livability? And life?

There are lots of threads on this, do some searching and reading. It seems to be at least somewhat subjective. I’ve had two very hot years now in the Southwest US and have never been bothered by the glass roof. Others don’t like it or claim to feel more heat intrusion than I do.

At any rate, they sell a sun shade for it now which I think would be effective. But as I said, I’ve never felt the need for it even with weeks on end at 105-110 Fahrenheit.

I live in Queensland, Australia - had an MS for 3 years, with glass roof. Gets a bit hot on the hottest days 40c/100f, probably made worse by the growing bald spot on the crown of my head. Easy fix was buying sunshades that simply insert into the roof cavity. It also cuts down on the level general glare inside and increases A/C efficiency. You can still open the roof without removing the inserts. I thought I'd use mine only in summer, but have never removed them. These will solve your problem - buy them from Tesla, they're good quality.
Avoid the cheap Chinese knock-offs.

• Funny
Reactions: RScottyL and Dre78
Getting a good quality heat-rejecting tint put on all the windows had a bigger impact than dealing with the sunroof (Spectra Photosync is great). Just check to see if it's legal to put it on the windshield. There's already a sunblocker component in the sunroof, so perhaps do the window tint first and see how it goes. Where I'm at, the summers get hot on occasion - the tint was a worthwhile investment, and it'll cut the power consumption down too - I really noticed that the a/c didn't work nearly as hard.

We regularly hit 120F/48C here in Vegas. No issues with the glass roof. I put in one of those solar screens that Tesla sells and that seems to help keep things cooler. But I also have everything tinted (except the roof) and the windshield ‘tinted’ with a heat rejection film.