Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I ordered 22+ kw solar glass roof for $134k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've cancelled the project. Almost a year into it, (all permits completed, inspection done and was just waiting on scheduling) but I won't do a $50k price increase. Current roof is good for another 5 years, I'll wait and see what these Tesla idiots do... or find a similar product thru someone else.
You did the right thing. That kind of price increase is just crazy. Tesla should treat their customers better than that.

put a new roof (use a good underlayment like WIP 250, rubberized asphalt) on the house and go regular solar, will you live forty or more years? it really doesn't matter if you eek out 5 more years from the roof.. but perhaps insurance will pay for roof if you wait due to storm damage.

I've cancelled the project. Almost a year into it, (all permits completed, inspection done and was just waiting on scheduling) but I won't do a $50k price increase. Current roof is good for another 5 years, I'll wait and see what these Tesla idiots do... or find a similar product thru someone else.

I was hoping an attorney would help you try to get your install back on track or at least achieve some mutual compromise that made sense for you to finish your installation. Best of luck to you to get that clean-energy dream you started this thread with back on track.

SO, after I cancelled the project, I received an email saying they would credit me a powerwall (about 10k) after final installation but at the new price ($180k). I gruntingly accepted and said ok - install it. That was the first week of May 2021. Haven't heard *sugar*... they are working on it.... I follow up every 2 weeks with my PM.... he's apparently working hard.... on what I'm note sure. There incompetence as a business is overwhelming at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
SO, after I cancelled the project, I received an email saying they would credit me a powerwall (about 10k) after final installation but at the new price ($180k). I gruntingly accepted and said ok - install it. That was the first week of May 2021. Haven't heard *sugar*... they are working on it.... I follow up every 2 weeks with my PM.... he's apparently working hard.... on what I'm note sure. There incompetence as a business is overwhelming at this point.

I feel like at a certain point you should just look into a competitor product hah.

BTW, is the make-or-break feature of your purchase to get Tesla Solar Roof because the solar tiles aesthetically match the non-solar tiles? Like if the active solar part were noticeably different than standard roofing shingles would you not get this product? We were talking about why people are choosing Tesla Solar and nobody else... curious to know your purchase decision. This thread provided some insights, but it's not clear if the aesthetic was a must-have or simply a nice-to-have.

I feel like at a certain point you should just look into a competitor product hah.

BTW, is the make-or-break feature of your purchase to get Tesla Solar Roof because the solar tiles aesthetically match the non-solar tiles? Like if the active solar part were noticeably different than standard roofing shingles would you not get this product? We were talking about why people are choosing Tesla Solar and nobody else... curious to know your purchase decision. This thread provided some insights, but it's not clear if the aesthetic was a must-have or simply a nice-to-have.

Actually, something similar happened to a friend of mine. Got a quote for solarroof and 3 PWs (low $100K) and then they got the infamous update to $150K. Of course, not being happy, he went to talk to someone else to reroof, add solar panels, and some batteries. Well, in the end, the alternative is $20K cheaper, but with inferior batteries, less solar Watts and at the very least a less elegant product. So, he'll probably go the solar roof route in the end. Tesla completely messed up their initial pricing and ultimately set expectations incorrectly. The lack of communication only compounded an already negative situation, yet it seems that their product is still competitive.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
This is an unbelievable saga, and although I need a new roof and would like to go TeslaGlass, it seems like a ridiculous idea with the organizational ineptitude at this point.
Take a look at the other thread on the guy who is just getting it installed, with the drone shots.

You can also see the posts from people who got them a year ago with a crew of up to 10 for a month. The latest guy was 8 or 9 days.

Someone, probably now fired, thought that they could get the four week installs down to a week (not surprising considering solar and PWs are down to a day or two-ish). When they only now got to two weeks, well, that was it.

But weirdly, its not ineptitude of the actually installers or the product.

Aesthetics are a big factor for us. Plus we needed a new roof and the quote for a new tile roof + solar panels was quite close to the SolarRoof alone (not including Powerwalls). This price was before the big drop (we paid the early adopter premium) and the following big increase so not sure what we would pay today.

Last edited:
  • Informative