Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the POINT of a glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know why glass roof as well.
I love our Pano roof and the open air, breeze and nice sunlight through the cabin. Even while parked we keep the pain roof open slightly and let’s fresh air in and keeps the cabin cooler :)

I could never go glass roof. It’s like a teaser to enjoy air and sun...but you can’t!

Before I bought my Model S I was concerned about whether the sun would heat the interior up to the same sort of temperature at the surface of the sun. (I live in Australia where summer temperatures can get up to the 50 degree mark).
So far no problem, certainly during the fall (which is now).
However, what's the point of a glass roof? I have to admit that I am almost never aware of it - it's always a bit of a surprise when I glance up and see my reflection - usually I can' see anything outside through it.
I would guess that it weighs more than a steel or certainly aluminium roof. It's unlikely to be stronger than either. The insets where the glass is glued to the body must produce extra interference drag by generating vortices. It's got to be less safe in the event of a bad crash. I would also assume that it might suffer damage more readily than a metal panel by stone hits or hail.
All in all, I can see very few arguments in favour of them - but I'm always ready to be convinced!

it's purrrrty.

I am surprised by people who say there is no heat intrusion. I have a Model S with a sunroof, not the single sheet of glass, and it definitely produces a layer of very hot air just at the top of my head, as well as a very cold layer in the winter. Maybe the solid glass roof has thicker glass and/or more tinting and is less of a heat transfer surface than the sunroof. But after 3 years or so, I got tired of the heat and installed the Tesla sunshades, front and back. They help in summer, not so much in winter. I do enjoy having the sunroof open on nice days in spring and fall, but I don't see how people in super-hot places like Texas or Australia can claim the roof does not get hot when it clearly does up here in New England.

Returning to this thread after taking the S through an Australian summer.
Yes - the glass roof does get b****y hot - far too hot to touch without getting a blister. The a/c has to cope with what’s effectively a radiator in the ceiling.

Returning to this thread after taking the S through an Australian summer.
Yes - the glass roof does get b****y hot - far too hot to touch without getting a blister. The a/c has to cope with what’s effectively a radiator in the ceiling.
not sure how valid this observation, is.

Warm air rises, so the heat at the glass never falls down far (if at all).
Cold air falls but to add to that, cold air blowing directly onto the human face/body, cools the body.

Im not certain:
A)Cabin temps overall (meaning, an average temp from multiple points in the cabin) are affected much by the glass roof
B)When you factor in air vents blowing cold air onto the body/face.....

That the roof has much heat impact..

not sure how valid this observation, is.

Warm air rises, so the heat at the glass never falls down far (if at all).
Cold air falls but to add to that, cold air blowing directly onto the human face/body, cools the body.

Im not certain:
A)Cabin temps overall (meaning, an average temp from multiple points in the cabin) are affected much by the glass roof
B)When you factor in air vents blowing cold air onto the body/face.....

That the roof has much heat impact..
Right. The glass feels hot when you first get-into a hot car, but once the cabin cools, the glass is much less-hot.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I would love to have the sunroof for my MS, but they all remove the option for it.
Yeah it was pretty tinted so I can barely see through it but better than nothing, I guess--as long as they put it to make car luxury.

I recently purchased the shed to cover the glass roof, which is a sad thing but I had to do it for my wife and the baby...it is very true that it increases the temperature inside of the car. I can feel it when I bring my hand around the glass roof in the car.

I love my glass roof for many of the reasons mentioned above. It’s the best headroom option (I’m 6’ 5”). Has a great wow factor for passengers though I admit you rarely get the benefit as the driver. The light coming in makes the whole cabin feel more spacious.

I also live in a hot area with summer temps that can approach 115 F (46C). I’ve never had any uncomfortable (or even noticeable really) heat intrusion from the roof.
yes sir, I was thinking the same thing. I'm 6'3", head not far from the glass roof and in the 4 years, I've had the car, I never recall my hair being on fire or burning the fingerprints off my fingers when I touch it. :) It does get really hot up here in the "high desert" of 5,000 feet. Obviously just a personal preference for a glass roof. Some people don't see the point of it, but my wife and I love it. One of the positive reasons we bought the car... I said just "one" reason. ;)

I'm quite sure it's BS.

If our friend down under shows me an instant-read IR thermometer reading 60 celsius or more (the temp you'd need to "blister" skin after about 3 seconds of contact) on the inside surface of the glass roof I'll eat my hat.

Outside temp 84 degrees, glass roof temp reads 123.9. Not quite 60 degrees Celsius

Wonder what the roof temp will be say in Arizona after a few hours in the sun with outside temps in the 115f range.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd

Outside temp 84 degrees, glass roof temp reads 123.9. Not quite 60 degrees Celsius

Wonder what the roof temp will be say in Arizona after a few hours in the sun with outside temps in the 115f range.
Interesting. Though it sounds like maybe asking for an IR reading was not the best way to get an accurate result, per this post farther down in the thread:

I'm not denying the glass gets warm. I often check it with my hand to see just HOW warm we're talking - which is why I can be pretty confident that implying "second degree burn" level of heat just isn't an accurate statement.

I note the comments above!
I've driven across Death Valley in August and it's HOT. But air temperature isn't what we're looking at here - it's the incoming solar irradiance. The air temperature where I live near the Eastern coast rarely gets above 38 'C (Much more in the centre) but the sun has a power that I've never seen anywhere else. Even in Khartoum when the air was over 40'C the sun didn't have the sheer intensity it does here.
I'm not a thermodynamicist, but it seems logical that any incoming IR that isn't reflected by the glass either passes through it or is absorbed. The Tesla roof is claimed to only allow a small amount through so the majority must be absorbed by the glass which is why it gets so hot and acts like a radiator.
I won't check now because we are in the middle of Autumn but it will be interesting to check next January!

I get it - the glass roof is not for everyone - that is fine so get a different vehicle. A lot of drama for a roof. But some seem bent on "regulating" the type of roof we all have on our vehicle we choose in this free market.

If you watch videos of assembly, the glass roof has nothing to do with ease of assembly - parts go in through the door openings.
Watch the crash videos and pictures - it does not shatter , stays intact, and keeps rigidity. Very impressive.
I think it looks very luxurious.
I am short so head does not get close but makes me feel much more open.

Personally, I think it is a great selling point.

Reactions: drtimhill