Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will add a data point. Looks like full orange top and rear glass. Vin in the 55xxx, car was likely built early July as it was on the lot around July 26th.

I didn’t check before tinting so no idea if the tint is altering the results.

Rear windshield also fully tinted as one piece.

I don’t think we have conclusively identified if there is a performance difference between orange and non orange but the window tint would take care of any UV or IR issues regardless.

3B18C8E0-6A7F-4F90-907E-18CB22C28D32.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: spesler
I will add a data point. Looks like full orange top and rear glass. Vin in the 55xxx, car was likely built early July as it was on the lot around July 26th.

I didn’t check before tinting so no idea if the tint is altering the results.

Rear windshield also fully tinted as one piece.

I don’t think we have conclusively identified if there is a performance difference between orange and non orange but the window tint would take care of any UV or IR issues regardless.

View attachment 330368

Interesting. I think I’ve seen someone say a 53xxx was full tint, a 57xxx was no tint. You’re showing your 55xxx has it. This gives me hope for the P3D I’m set to pickup any day now that I was given a VIN 55xxx : )

Garlan: your test is only testing how much absorption of energy is happening in the glass. it is not testing refractivity (how much IR the glass is allowing to passing through). Radiative heat is not transferred until the electromagnetic (IR) wave hits something. People can absolutely feel more heat hitting their head despite the glass feeling cool (or same temp as S/X).
I don't feel the heat. NOT AT ALL.. I'm not just using numbers.

I have a P3D+. and I've owned a Model S. Its just not true that the Model 3 feels hotter on my head.

If anyone feels the heat....then make another choice. Its really simple.

I feel like this has turned more into a “I care about the cool orange glow effect more” thread rather than people trying to figure out if the new glass has uv/ir protection or not

All other things being equal I prefer no orange glow. It would clash with the satin ppf I am considering.

That’s why I am pushing for any worriers to just get their car tinted.

You remove all doubt about IR/UV and makes the car more attractive in all cases.

The talk about having Tesla perform surgery to replace glass seems over the top but that’s my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linkeds2
My car is 47K VIN, built July delivered three days ago. Today I just drove for ~25 min this afternoon weather reported a 10 on the UV index in South Florida. I had considerable, noticeable heat coming through the roof and *definitely* UV as now my head feels sunburnt...

I don't know how to measure how much UV is coming through but not too happy about this, and am not interested in putting up a tacky sunshade either. Is Tesla taking care of anyone for this? Maybe my roof is faulty I don't know... but this is not acceptable I don't want skin cancer from driving.

My car is 47K VIN, built July delivered three days ago. Today I just drove for ~25 min this afternoon weather reported a 10 on the UV index in South Florida. I had considerable, noticeable heat coming through the roof and *definitely* UV as now my head feels sunburnt...

I don't know how to measure how much UV is coming through but not too happy about this, and am not interested in putting up a tacky sunshade either. Is Tesla taking care of anyone for this? Maybe my roof is faulty I don't know... but this is not acceptable I don't want skin cancer from driving.
Are you a backseat driver? :p

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
I asked service to check the new panel first before cutting out the old as the original panel is distortion free and otherwise perfect minus the coating. They just called and said its also missing on the replacement, so they wont be replacing and are tracking down an answer from engineering. At the end of all this we may never know for sure. Mixed about this , on one hand good not to cut out the original glass and avoid any possible damage from the procedure, but still possibly missing the coating.

My theory is the batch of missing coating is stock for the future base version without the exposed roof with a full interior headliner , which would make the coating unnecessary.

Last edited:
I asked service to check the new panel first before cutting out the old as the original panel is distortion free and otherwise perfect minus the coating. They just called and said its also missing on the replacement, so they wont be replacing and are tracking down an answer from engineering. At the end of all this we may never know for sure.
Keep us in the loop... Somebody is bound to eventually get to the bottom of it.

Reactions: Brian N
I don't feel the heat. NOT AT ALL.. I'm not just using numbers.

I have a P3D+. and I've owned a Model S. Its just not true that the Model 3 feels hotter on my head.

If anyone feels the heat....then make another choice. Its really simple.
My experience with the three is limited only my test this past week. All the talk about random changes without notice or reason makes me nervous. I am very hopeful that you are correct that the glass is just as good. I want to order my car and I’m excited to do so, here in AZ this is a concern. I am going to go by my service center with my heat/solar energy meter. I will post the test this weekend.

Reactions: Big-T

The current changes does not impact the glass UV impact at all. The orange glow/IR material that has been reference only deals with the heat rejection that Tint that provide better protection. What you're experiencing is likely normal to any car with a sunroof, and I don't think its possible for it to be defective.

I feel like this has turned more into a “I care about the cool orange glow effect more” thread rather than people trying to figure out if the new glass has uv/ir protection or not
Until we get an official explanation from Tesla (unlikely) or someone actually measures any differences in the amount if IR getting through there's nothing else to talk about :rolleyes: