Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Testing equipment in hand!! i just foiund one of my kid's old science experiments. I am going to test the roof of my Model S, a model X and a Model 3. Maybe this will shed some "light" on the situation...I will try and test with both sunlight and my infra-red lamp...

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 61
Testing equipment in hand!! i just foiund one of my kid's old science experiments. I am going to test the roof of my Model S, a model X and a Model 3. Maybe this will shed some "light" on the situation...I will try and test with both sunlight and my infra-red lamp...

Remember kids - the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down.

My car is 47K VIN, built July delivered three days ago. Today I just drove for ~25 min this afternoon weather reported a 10 on the UV index in South Florida. I had considerable, noticeable heat coming through the roof and *definitely* UV as now my head feels sunburnt...

I don't know how to measure how much UV is coming through but not too happy about this, and am not interested in putting up a tacky sunshade either. Is Tesla taking care of anyone for this? Maybe my roof is faulty I don't know... but this is not acceptable I don't want skin cancer from driving.

I added tint to my sunroof (and rear windshield) as I never saw any written proof about whether there was decent (by that i mean 99%) UV protection. It seems like I’m this thread someone did take measurements so I’m looking for those results!

I still say Tesla is cheaping out on something. Cutting cost by going half red and then no red. Only performance version right now are reporting still getting full red.

I don’t see why there are cars with half red tints. If you are going to miss a layer of coating you’re going to miss the whole thing. Not half the glass!

I'm a retired aerospace engineer with some background in this subject. I don't believe you can make any definitive coating conclusions based on the orange tint or lack thereof. For example, orange tinted glass will naturally absorb UV and blue light. That's why blue blocking sunglass lenses are usually yellow or red or some blend of those colors (orange, brown, copper). The orange tinted glass could be used in conjunction with a silver mirrored coating which blocks IR. Alternatively, an orange mirror coating will reflect orange light, and probably reflect adjacent wavelengths like red and IR as well. Some plastics naturally block UV, and they are perfectly clear in the visible specturm. There are many modern optical coatings tuned to filter out specific frequencies of light - IR and UV. Without knowing the technology used by the glass manufacturer, we can't make any definitive conclusions. It's best to wait and hear back from an expert at Tesla.

There were a couple earlier posts with technical errors from well meaning members. When electromagnetic energy, such as light, hits a surface, it is either transmitted, absorbed, or reflected. Refraction (the bending of EM energy) is not an factor unless you are designing telescopes or spectacles.

The bottom line is whether we trust Tesla or not. Based on their response to the Consumer Reports braking concern, I currently have no reason to doubt their integrity. Hopefully, our trust is well placed. In the mean time, we should not contribute to the FUD. Plenty of that already going around.

Last edited:
I'm a retired aerospace engineer with some background in this subject. I don't believe you can make any definitive coating conclusions based on the orange tint or lack thereof. For example, orange tinted glass will naturally absorb UV and blue light. That's why blue blocking sunglass lenses are usually yellow or red or some blend of those colors (orange, brown, copper). The orange tinted glass could be used in conjunction with a silver mirrored coating which blocks IR. Alternatively, an orange mirror coating will reflect orange light, and probably reflect adjacent wavelengths like red and IR as well. Some plastics naturally block UV, and they are perfectly clear. There are many modern optical coatings tuned to filter out specific frequencies of light - IR and UV. Without knowing the technology used by the glass manufacturer, we can't make any definitive conclusions. It's best to wait and hear back from an expert at Tesla.

There were a couple earlier posts with technical errors from well meaning members. When electromagnetic energy, such as light, hits a surface, it is either transmitted, absorbed, or reflected. Refraction (the bending of EM energy) is not an factor unless you are designing telescopes or spectacles.

The bottom line is whether we trust Tesla or not. Based on their response to the Consumer Reports braking concern, I currently have no reason to doubt their integrity. Hopefully, our trust is well placed. In the mean time, we should not contribute to the FUD. Plenty of that already going around.

Thank you for your post and insight. I am not an aerospace engineer nor pretend to be one on the internet. So I just tint my windows and go on being big, fat, ignorant and happy with no fear of IR or UV.

I just think its a little odd and annoying when something like this changes and it is crickets from the manufacturer on why the change...

My service center has ordered new back glass because mine doesn't turn orange and the others on the lot do...

Do I prefer the glass panes to match? Uhm, yes.

Do I still prefer that as strongly if the glass with the orange effect is inferior? No.

I just need legit info so I can make an educated decision on how to move forward.

$1 says that replacement glass won't make orange water droplets either.

But wouldn’t having factory protection in addition to tint be even better?

In that sense you want to have it on the factory glass.

99% reduction of 100 is 1. 99% delta

99% reduction of 1 is .01 .099% incremental delta.

Numbers aren't exactly like that but an idea. Not enough to where I'm going to stress out with asking Tesla to replace glass for something not even verified to be a problem yet.

I'm a retired aerospace engineer with some background in this subject. I don't believe you can make any definitive coating conclusions based on the orange tint or lack thereof. For example, orange tinted glass will naturally absorb UV and blue light. That's why blue blocking sunglass lenses are usually yellow or red or some blend of those colors (orange, brown, copper). The orange tinted glass could be used in conjunction with a silver mirrored coating which blocks IR. Alternatively, an orange mirror coating will reflect orange light, and probably reflect adjacent wavelengths like red and IR as well. Some plastics naturally block UV, and they are perfectly clear in the visible specturm. There are many modern optical coatings tuned to filter out specific frequencies of light - IR and UV. Without knowing the technology used by the glass manufacturer, we can't make any definitive conclusions. It's best to wait and hear back from an expert at Tesla.

Wtf is this? I come to the internet to have my suspicions of conspiracies confirmed and fan the flames of my hatred of all things liberal. We don't need some nerd muddying the waters with buzz words like "aerospace engineer", "refraction" and other so-called facts.

Seriously though, that was very well said and thought though. Thanks for chiming in on the subject. I'm going to the local SC on Saturday for something unrelated and will ask them their thoughts on the matter .

To add to this, I did query my brother, who is an optical physicist. He had just a moment of time to discuss with me, but he did clearly say that the presence or absence of the orange iridescence, while suggestive, does not conclusively indicate anything about the IR reflection capacity of the glass. You need specifics from the manufacturer. And really, the best way to tell is to simply measure.

Also, he did say that it is difficult and expensive to manufacture these layers, especially on the scale of an entire rear window.

My take: It's expensive. Tesla has done several things over the last year to reduce manufacturing costs the M3, and Tesla is gradually either changing the coating, or eliminating it, for cost purposes. If eliminating it, they figure the cabin overheat protection is effective enough. Again, just my conjecture here.

hah! i think you politely called me out on my improper use of refraction. Yeah I was thinking the stuff that isn't reflected is refracted, which probably ends up in the cabin.