Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why Electric Cars Are Ditching AM Radio

And there appear to be many complaints about poor AM reception in the Bolt.
My first hand experience with AM radio reception in the Bolt...it's great..much better than my Prius and my wife's RX330. You have links to the "many complaints about poor AM reception in the Bolt"? Again...maybe the Koreans know how to make AM work in EVs.

My first hand experience with AM radio reception in the Bolt...it's great..much better than my Prius and my wife's RX330. You have links to the "many complaints about poor AM reception in the Bolt"? Again...maybe the Koreans know how to make AM work in EVs.
AM Radio Reception - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum
AM radio reception is degrading [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
AM Radio whine [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
AM radio whine [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
All on page 1 of a google search.

P should have full red glass since you paid more for the car. P for premium.

Okay you made me go out and check. VIN 730XX P3D+ 8/2018 and only the front is red glass, rear does not do that when I sprayed it with water. How certain are you that this is the UV blocking properties of the window? Previous cars I've owned with that UV blocking coating did not rainbow like that.

Okay you made me go out and check. VIN 730XX P3D+ 8/2018 and only the front is red glass, rear does not do that when I sprayed it with water. How certain are you that this is the UV blocking properties of the window? Previous cars I've owned with that UV blocking coating did not rainbow like that.

Ah darn it! Someone else with a recent P model
Had full red on both glass. So it just felt like it might have been the Ps got special treatment. But maybe not the case.

No one is for sure if the red signifies anything. If it does. It’s for inferred (IR). Not UV.

• Informative
Reactions: bradhs
Ah darn it! Someone else with a recent P model
Had full red on both glass. So it just felt like it might have been the Ps got special treatment. But maybe not the case.

No one is for sure if the red signifies anything. If it does. It’s for inferred (IR). Not UV.

Mine is Premium dual motor (non-Performance) 8/2018 build too and I also do not have any orange water on the rear glass at all. Only the front top glass panel.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
MSM Dual Motor Black interior August Build Vin 54k and my neighbors marching car with July build Vin 68k both have IR only on the smaller top roof glass and none on the large rear glass

6F0521E5-9D78-41DA-9EF5-E35D261FD96A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
Just dropped off my car at Burbank SC for paint issues. I mentioned IR coating on the roof but none of them service rep had any ideas what i was talking about. They asked me to email them some pix and they will help look into this matter. Told them i have small child in the back seat everyday, having the same UV and IR protection for her is paramount.

UV should still be there, it’s just heat rejection IR that’s not. I’m having my full rear glass tinted to black the whole thing out and double up on UV. Not too as worried about IR as the air conditioning is always on when the kiddos are in the car.

A few weeks ago right after delivery, we noticed that only the front half of rear roof has orange glow when wet. It is a RWD, VIN 39xxx, July 2018 build. This thread is driving me crazy, so yesterday, I was ready to take a hammer and chisel to get a few pieces of glass samples from each window then put them through IR spectrometer in my lab...

Then my 16 year old handed me a TV remote (infrared LED), and did following:

1. go into garage and close all garage doors, only leave a dim light on
2. point the TV remote (pressing one button) to his phone with camera app on, he saw bright LED (IR light detected by camera sensor) on his phone
3. put side window between remote (outside the vehicle) and phone (inside the car), repeat #2, he saw LED showing up on his phone just as bright without the side window
4. repeat #3 for front windshield, he saw LED on remote just as bright without the windshield
5. repeat #3 for rear clear glass roof (rear bottom portion, no orange glow), he saw LED on remote much dimmer, but visible
6. repeat #3 for rear factory tinted glass roof (front top portion, with orange glow), he saw LED on remote dimmer than #5, but still visible

Conclusion: on our model 3, the rear clear portion of the glass roof does have some kind of IR rejection capability. It is much better than front windshield and side windows. To determine exact transmission rates at different IR wave lengths, someone has to take a hammer to their model 3 to get a few pieces of glass samples from each window then put them through a real IR spectrometer. I decided not do it on ours after my son's test.

Cheers

A few weeks ago right after delivery, we noticed that only the front half of rear roof has orange glow when wet. It is a RWD, VIN 39xxx, July 2018 build. This thread is driving me crazy, so yesterday, I was ready to take a hammer and chisel to get a few pieces of glass samples from each window then put them through IR spectrometer in my lab...

Then my 16 year old handed me a TV remote (infrared LED), and did following:

1. go into garage and close all garage doors, only leave a dim light on
2. point the TV remote (pressing one button) to his phone with camera app on, he saw bright LED (IR light detected by camera sensor) on his phone
3. put side window between remote (outside the vehicle) and phone (inside the car), repeat #2, he saw LED showing up on his phone just as bright without the side window
4. repeat #3 for front windshield, he saw LED on remote just as bright without the windshield
5. repeat #3 for rear clear glass roof (rear bottom portion, no orange glow), he saw LED on remote much dimmer, but visible
6. repeat #3 for rear factory tinted glass roof (front top portion, with orange glow), he saw LED on remote dimmer than #5, but still visible

Conclusion: on our model 3, the rear clear portion of the glass roof does have some kind of IR rejection capability. It is much better than front windshield and side windows. To determine exact transmission rates at different IR wave lengths, someone has to take a hammer to their model 3 to get a few pieces of glass samples from each window then put them through a real IR spectrometer. I decided not do it on ours after my son's test.

Cheers
What remote did you use? I tried 4 of them and my phone camera didn’t pick up any IR out of the remotes

What remote did you use? I tried 4 of them and my phone camera didn’t pick up any IR out of the remotes
It may sound silly, did you press a button on your remote while you are point it to your phone? Also, make sure they are not bluetooth remotes.
Otherwise, I would suggest try a different phone or a digital camera. Most remotes use the same 940 nm wavelength LEDs.

It may sound silly, did you press a button on your remote while you are point it to your phone? Also, make sure they are not bluetooth remotes.
Otherwise, I would suggest try a different phone or a digital camera. Most remotes use the same 940 nm wavelength LEDs.
Haha I did. But I realized the iPhone back camera has a IR filter built in. Now what phone / camera did you use?

Ok I dug out a old Nokia cell phone and that camera picked up IR. Tried it on all my windows, the front windshield and side door windows, the phone picked up the IR.
The top and rear glass did not see any IR

@dong99 did you try it on the top glass above the drivers seat? How did that compare to the top of the back seat vs the rear back (behind the back seats?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roentgen