Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla Customer Service in Freemont and they provided the same exact answer as the Service Center with 2 additional facts.

UV is the film that provides the Red look - As the service center said

There are 2 layers of film sandwiched between the 2 pieces of tempered glass.

1. IR with / Adhesive to hold glass pieces together when glass shatters.
2. UV with / Adhesive to hold glass pieces together when glass shatters.

I'm told that the IR film is standard and identical in every car and made by Guardian (whoever that is) - including the Front windshield at the top. The varying layer in each of the 3 pieces of glass is the UV layer - made by different companies.

Then I went back to the Westmont Service Center on the way home and they said....."I knew you would be back". We laughed and I said...."absolutely - I work right down the street". To be honest with you....I think I have actually sold 5 Tesla's there in the past 2.5 weeks of ownership. I should get those applied to my referral code...lol -

Anyway.....

They showed me at the service center on the showroom floor - that on their Model S there is a 3M yellow tinted UV film on the entire front windshield. They sprayed it with glass cleaner....and whallaa…..there it is. Yellow on the front windshield. Additionally - the model S has 4 pieces of glass and the rear UV of all Model S's have a sliver layer as shown in the Red Model S pic I took in this photo.
The Model X in the store had both a red UV at the top and yellow UV the rest of the way down the front windshield. It showed up clearly when they sprayed glass cleaner on it.

I was able to capture 4 UV colors below:
Silver on the Model S back / Blue on the top. ( looks like a real "American" red-white-blue car lol)
Red on the Blue Model 3. ( Also red-white-blue -lol)
Clear on the back / Red on the top of my white on white Model 3. ( I don't have any blue....I suppose I'm not American)

Over-all....its a very unplanned - American ( red/white/blue) picture. I'm going to keep it.
View attachment 330232

Bottom line. The color of the UV film can be red/orange/yellow/silver/blue or a graduated combination of all of them. The IR layer is standard and NON colored.

Some people think the red UV layer is cool looking. Some people think the red/clear UV combination is cool. The bottom line is what Tesla thought was cool/good looking.

Personally I thought the all red was cool....until today....I NEED clear. The RED on the glass above the drivers head is enough RED for me. I wouldn't like red on the back glass.

That's enough about glass for me. I never thought I would have been taught so much about glass in my entire life.
Cudos to all of the Westmont Tesla Store Service and Sales folks for helping me out today. I know many of you said you would read my article. I hope I represented your demo's and facts well here. As you know...I'll be back tomorrow if nothing more than to just visit....and sell more cars...lol.

Garlan your statement from Tesla (quoted above) is still just something verbally told, the same as the statement from others from their service center. Did you get in written form as well the same way you demand a copy of the service order from others? You have taken the person you talked to at Tesla's Toll Free Number as fact with no proof, but every other statement posted that differs from yours is false unless backed up with proof?

Garlan your statement from Tesla (quoted above) is still just something verbally told, the same as the statement from others from their service center. Did you get in written form as well the same way you demand a copy of the service order from others? You have taken the person you talked to at Tesla's Toll Free Number as fact with no proof, but every other statement posted that differs from yours is false unless backed up with proof?
Let me say it for the 10,1000th time.

YOU call tesla. Don't believe me or anyone else here. YOU call Tesla.

Its just hilarious to me that people aren't willing to call Tesla concerning this.

OH stop it.

Every possible answer has already been mentioned.....including the correct one. You can't name another possible answer that hasn't been mentioned. I spoke directly to Tesla and the Service Center and provided temp measurements and.....
The answer to the post above this one was answered pages and pages ago. People aren't even reading the whole thing anymore.

So....its not answers that people are looking for.

I've been a part a many many threads like this and I assure you that "fault" is what people are looking for and the thread is only half over. Even you are suggesting in your response that something needs to be fixed. If you believe something needs to be fixed...then take it to your service center like I DID. This forum thread isn't going to fix your window color. So....I'm encouraging EVERYONE to go to their service center. If that's a problem for you.....then my apologies.
Its a little early in the thread for personal insults … so that surprises me...but they don't phase me anymore.

Soo......lets continue to have fun here.

And welcome to TMC .

Look, I don't have a question to call Tesla about, I'm just reading this thread for informational purposes. This post here of yours on Monday makes the claim that YOUR answer was the correct one and no one else's. Like you asked others, I ask again, what PROOF do you have that your answer is the correct one and not what other people are saying?

Its nice that you tell people to call Tesla themselves, but you still do it in a way that dismisses any information they are saying they got from Tesla Service Centers.

Reactions: Robmil
Garlan, you are so hostile. Relax buddy. If this conversation annoys you, I suggest you stop reading it. Take care of your mental health.
That'll happen when hell freezes over.

On a completely
unrelated topic, the Ignore feature of this board is awesome and soothing. Can't recommend it enough. Just click on a name and then select Ignore. There is the side effect that occasionally, because it blanks out quotes in 3rd party's posts, you'll see a poster appearing to be engaged in ceaseless discussions with crazy voices in their head. However that's small potatoes compared to the benefits.

Last edited:
This thread is amusing. Taking delivery of my car this weekend; don’t have a VIN yet, but will report back to see what kind of rear glass I get. I’m on the “insufficient evidence that anything is wrong with the glass Tesla puts on the cars” side; I’m only hoping it comes with 0 pre-installed cracks.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
This thread is amusing. Taking delivery of my car this weekend; don’t have a VIN yet, but will report back to see what kind of rear glass I get. I’m on the “insufficient evidence that anything is wrong with the glass Tesla puts on the cars” side; I’m only hoping it comes with 0 pre-installed cracks.
I'm onboard with this as it keeps perspective, yet I love that red colour and really want to see this sorted out before I pulled the trigger on getting the aftermarket film installed. I don't want to risk ending up weighing those few hundred dollars to replace the film against getting asking Tesla to replace with the red glass. So I'll just keep track of this topic over the new few weeks to see how it all shakes out.

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
A new model 3 appeared in my neighborhood. It's so new it doesn't even have plates yet (here in NH, you get your plates from your town hall when you register it post-delivery). The car is just parked in the street, and today it rained. I drove by and noticed the rear glass didn't have the red/orange droplets.

Sure feels like this is an intentional change, and all production moving forward will be like this. I also think this is purely a cosmetic concern and that IR filtering is still present.

Grass is always greener. My Feb build probably has issues that current builds have resolved.

Look, I don't have a question to call Tesla about, I'm just reading this thread for informational purposes. This post here of yours on Monday makes the claim that YOUR answer was the correct one and no one else's. Like you asked others, I ask again, what PROOF do you have that your answer is the correct one and not what other people are saying?

Its nice that you tell people to call Tesla themselves, but you still do it in a way that dismisses any information they are saying they got from Tesla Service Centers.

There are 2 fully admitted Tesla short sellers commenting in this thread and I have no intention of saying anything about them. One short-seller even met up with 6 TMC folks that I know of at the Westmont IL service center on Wednesday. After some strong conversation with the service center we were able to speak directly with the SR manager of quality control in Fremont.
He informed us that Tesla fully aware of the rear window color differences and that ALL customer support personnel have been educated as well.

I know a lot of people in TMC and privately chat with many of them.....some of them are staunch short-sellers desperately wanting Tesla to fail. They want this window to be a mistake that is going to TANK Tesla. I'm strong in my comments to them as they try to pull confidence out of current/potential Tesla customers.
I can't make people read some posts and not others, however what I can do is all I can to represent/defend TESLA every time these guys show up in threads misrepresenting the truth.

I do understand that the casual reader would consider my language harsh and curt, however behind the scenes.....

Anyway.....

Last edited:
There are 2 fully admitted Tesla short sellers commenting in this thread and I have no intention of saying anything about them. One short-seller even met up with 6 TMC folks that I know of at the Westmont IL service center on Wednesday. After some strong conversation with the service center we were able to speak directly with the SR manager of quality control in Fremont.
He informed us that Tesla fully aware of the rear window color differences and that ALL customer support personnel have been educated as well.

I know a lot of people in TMC and privately chat with many of them.....some of them are staunch short-sellers desperately wanting Tesla to fail. They want this window to be a mistake that is going to TANK Tesla. I'm strong in my comments to them as they try to pull confidence out of current/potential Tesla customers.
I can't make people read some posts and not others, however what I can do is all I can to represent/defend TESLA every time these guys show up in threads misrepresenting the truth.

I do understand that the casual reader would consider my language harsh and curt, however behind the scenes.....

Anyway.....
Even if it is a mistake how’s that going to tank Tesla and why would anyone think that?

Side question, do you go by magic8ball in the Tesla forum?

Ok. Ok. Ok. Ok.

So to get this straight. You have posted an average of 8 times a day for 2.5 years. Wrap your personal worth into both owning a Tesla ‘and’ having Tesla stock, to the point of wanting to call and tattle on service centers who go against your fantasy wishes, and with all of that - you don’t ever meander into the official Tesla forums?

Can we have our thread back now?

Our Thread? What?

No one is stopping you from posting. Post away.

As much as I appreciate the direct message to me telling me you’ve reported me, that doesn’t stop the fact that you are derailing any honest attempt to have this discussion on the forum.

And to answer your question - no. I’m not doing it for the clicks and likes. Good lord.

Edit: I enjoy the projection of “do you do it for the likes?” Followed by you disliking/liking just about everything.

Back on-topic: I’m excited to hear about what people report back with from Tesla proper. Interested to hear if any service delivery appointments come back with different glass than was delivered. Wondering if future sunroof glass is going to do away with the color tone, too, and we’re just in an inbetween phase.

Last edited:
Looks like service centers are now acknowledging the production change now. I assume the top glass will be replaced with the new revision as soon as stock runs out.

Here is what I got back from my service advisor:

"We have reached out to engineering in regards to the rear glass concern with the orange hue when wet, as we have seen the difference on the 3’s on our lot. There was a production change with the rear glass where they removed the IR reflection film from the glass was removed and this is what is causing the coloring change when wet. The new glass itself has the same thermal properties as the old one and is more absorptive."

Last edited:
Looks like service centers are now acknowledging the production change now. I assume the top glass will be replaced with the new revision as soon as stock runs out.

Here is what I got back from my service advisor:

"We have reached out to engineering in regards to the rear glass concern with the orange hue when wet, as we have seen the difference on the 3’s on our lot. There was a production change with the rear glass where they removed the IR reflection film from the glass was removed and this is what is causing the coloring change when wet. The new glass itself has the same thermal properties as the old one and is more absorptive."
So if production luck/timing lead you to not have the "red magic" on the back, or fully covering the back, you'll not be able to get it via part replacement either. Well here's to hoping I somehow lucked out with mine getting matched with a stray tail end of the supply, but if not at least I'll have the roof which you're right could end up being more than some eventually get.

So the new glass is better? More absorptive?
For me "more absorptive" translates to "less reflective", if they're maintaining the same performance (AKA same thermal properties), meaning they are relying more-so on absorption of incoming IR compared to prior. I'm out of my depth in explaining exactly how the water droplets caused the prior IR reflection to also reflect into the bottom end of the visible range, maybe someone can chime in on that.

Last edited:
For me "more absorptive" translates to "less reflective", meaning they are relying more-so on absorption of incoming IR compared to prior. I'm out of my depth in explaining how the water droplets cause the IR reflection to also reflect into the bottom end of the visible range, maybe someone can chime in on that.

I suspect that polarization plays a role. No polarization is advertised a feature of some optical filter glass.

Reactions: ℬête Noire