Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called service. They tested cars on the lot and ordered new glass for mine. Service centers do not seem to be aligned on this...

Here is the verbatim statement from my service advisor I received via email (because I like to have interactions in writing):

"I did spray down a couple Model 3’s on the lot and it does look like both pieces of glass should have that orange hue to it when wet. I have added the rear fixed glass to the order. We will reserve a Tesla loaner vehicle for you as well. Once all parts are here, I will reach out and schedule your appointment."

BTW, I would figure most of us are shareholders.... Trying not to log into my account for awhile presently... Ugh.

TESLA makes decisions on stuff like this. NOT service centers.

Same holds true for other car manufacturers.

Service centers don't have their own money and parts to do whatever they want with. TSLA has the checkbook.

That's why I implore everyone to CALL TESLA....not a service center.

That's the thing... we still don't know if it is or is not faulty..

CALL TESLA. Then you will know.

They told me its not faulty. I call them ALL OF THE TIME to ask questions and get answers.

Folks....most of the time I call TESLA 5-10 times on the same issue to make sure that they aren't just reading off of a sheet somewhere and giving me a "pat" answer. Put the work in if you really want to know.

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of the glass off my co workers car. VIN 71,XXX. Either late July or Early Aug build.

0DBF5B20-8927-41CB-8DCF-B8C5C8C8DD4A.jpeg FB393E49-50FC-4314-8FC3-C9ED644AEA58.jpeg 994578FD-687D-4807-B34C-65EA3270304B.jpeg

If one of the operative theories is that the “red colouring” on the back glass is only visible on cars that have been tinted, it would be interesting to see if any of the “new” cars on the Tesla lot that have not yet been delivered (and presumably therefore, none of which have been tinted) display different visuals, ie. some of the cars show red all the way across, and some of the cars only show red on the top glass not the back glass. Or do they all present the same visually.
Until then, it does seem as if the pictures on the forum that show red all the way across are exclusively on cars that have been after market tinted.

To be honest with you....I can't believe that they have ordered anything.

Why do you believe they have? Have you seen any service center receipts posted here?

Plenty pics of windows.

I'm a person of action: As soon as I see a service center receipt for this.....I'm calling that service center and ask them why they disagree with TESLA....

I'm a shareholder and I know Tesla can't afford to spend money on cosmetics right now. They are trying to turn a profit.

TSLA is sitting at $282 and they are going to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions replacing non-defective glass?

“Why are you trying to make a customer happy?”
-Excuse me?
“I pay your taxes, I’m your boss, don’t you know who I am?”
-Uhhhhh. What?

Is how I imagine that conversation going.

If one of the operative theories is that the “red colouring” on the back glass is only visible on cars that have been tinted...
It may be an operative theory, but it holds now water. Not even a light mist...

My neighbor's June build had full orange top to bottom the first day home and he washed it. A week later, he had half the window tinted, and there is no difference in the look from the outside... no indication of where the aftermarket film starts/stops.

@ebmcs03 it would be interesting if you could find a photo of this. So far, all of the ones that I can find with full red glass have aftermarket tints.
His car before aftermarket tint looks just like all the other photos of the "full orange."

*finally* picking up my car in the next week, and if the rear is just plain dark, I think I'm gonna survive with it.

I think the color could be caused by a combination of polarized glass, tint, and water on top. So tint and water remained the same for the back window, the only thing changed would be that that they don't use polarized glass for back window anymore? They probably use polarized glass for the front top to reduce glare on the center screen and decided they don't need to do the same for the light coming from the back?

I have kept up with this whole thread including the posts that have done some simplified IR testing. .. Please point me to the post if I missed it that did IR testing on the new non-orange glass? Also, although the local SC does their best to answer questions on issues like these, they have been shown to not have the latest information at times when Corporate isn't forthcoming with all the details. This issue certainly feels like it fits in that category.