Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:confused: Well, after 240 posts all we've done is wasted a lot of time. Everyone's opinions are still in the same place as when we started and Tesla is still not going to put a sun shade in the Model 3. Everyone who has a nit to pick w/ the car thinks, "but my improvement is so obvious, Tesla is stupid not to do it." We went through this w/ the center console on Model S. People saying they would cancel their reservation if Tesla didn't build a center console like XYZ car to store their gun, keys, sunglasses, whatever. Guess what? Tesla didn't change the center console and they still sold cars. Reminds me of the people saying they would leave the country if GWB or Trump were elected. Anyway, I don't know if those people actually cancelled but the threats clearly didn't serve their intended function.

I return once again to my previous posts. Wait for the Germans or Koreans to make EVs or deal with Tesla's limitations. There's a reason we have as many automakers as we do - people have different tastes and different priorities. You will need to find an automaker that builds a car that satisfies your needs/tastes. Good luck in your search.

I would bring up the "roof without retractable shade" topic back.

And why that chocolate does not melt (3M demonstration video) - because it wasn't in a glass box covered by 3M heat rejecting film.
But our cars are. Radiation vs convection. I think I mentioned that. Convectional heat is what a mechanical shade does block.And no film can (actually makes worse due to being darker, physics, dark object give out heat better than light objects).
PS: those removable foldable shades do not reduce considerably as they are fully submerged in vehicle's ambient air.

Whoah, zombie thread!

This whole thread was argued about before the July reveal. Should be deleted.

Tesla has a roof sunshade for the 3. No, it doesn't cover every glass opening, including half of the rear glass. No car completely covers all the glass areas. It's not a big deal.

There's a center console. There are door pockets. There are even coat hooks IIRC.

/thread

We are not talking about shade for view. We are talking about shade for heat.
No matter is it black metal roof or heavily tinted glass, both will absorb majority of
thermal load. And half of that will convect into vehicle. Though in case of metal roof,
headliner will insulate extremely. In case of removable shade, it lets air through.
In case on airtight actuated shades, effect is similar compared to headliner. Air trap.

We are not talking about shade for view. We are talking about shade for heat.
No matter is it black metal roof or heavily tinted glass, both will absorb majority of
thermal load. And half of that will convect into vehicle. Though in case of metal roof,
headliner will insulate extremely. In case of removable shade, it lets air through.
In case on airtight actuated shades, effect is similar compared to headliner. Air trap.

Depends on your tint. Some of them reflect the light instead of absorbing it - including the ones Tesla is using on the X and 3 I believe - have you seen what an X windshield looks like when it gets wet?

1D412C63-0AFD-4CF0-9895-B8FB85FE3ADA.jpeg

(You really need to see what's happening in near IR to know since that's where most of the heat is. Hmm. I actually have an IR sensitive camera around somewhere. I should take a look.)

Reactions: arnis
I agree. Though the easiest test is to have vehicle parked under the sun, all closed and then take a reading of temperature inside.
And then cover optional roof and tinted part of rear window with anything white, like bed sheet.
If temperature drop inside is significant, it means significant portion of heat is absorbed by the tint.
Reflective surfaces can not be measured correctly with Ir camera. Though surfaces in cabin can.

I agree. Though the easiest test is to have vehicle parked under the sun, all closed and then take a reading of temperature inside.
And then cover optional roof and tinted part of rear window with anything white, like bed sheet.
If temperature drop inside is significant, it means significant portion of heat is absorbed by the tint.
Reflective surfaces can not be measured correctly with Ir camera. Though surfaces in cabin can.

I wasn't talking about a thermal camera, though I have an entry level version of that, too.

I have a digital camera with the IR block removed, so it sees near IR - if I can find it and the right filters, I was going to see if my windshield blocks and/or reflects near IR, especially as compared to the side windows and other traditional glass.