Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM announces use of NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohh snap!
Everyone else will follow soon. TSLA to the moon!

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.06.08-15_44_55.png

I used to run the 100 yard dash back in the day.
Now, folks, even in the USA, run the 100 m. What’s the big deal except, of course that we created a bunch of new record holders. As I said, I don’t really care and can and use any standard as long as it is stated and understood. I appreciate all for their merits.
Luckily, for us all, the metric invaders didn’t try to change the units for time and angles in that old Franco-Anglo standards battle.
100 yard dash. like 91 m? cool.

yeah, british is also very good at very niche sports (Netball). but it's is niche for a reason

by the way - you know that Metric system was introduced in 1975 in USA and then abolished in 1982 due to some stupid and inadequate reasons? there..

100 yard dash. like 91 m? cool.

yeah, british is also very good at very niche sports (Netball). but it's is niche for a reason

by the way - you know that Metric system was introduced in 1975 in USA and then abolished in 1982 due to some stupid and inadequate reasons? there..

The reasons were hardly stupid and inadequate. Have you ever priced an industrial life? Although it was a computer guy I worked with a lot of different kinds of companies. One particularly large one still used a lathe every single day that was made in 1903. It worked perfectly with new bits. They would have to replace that with something that would have cost them about million dollars. Multiply that times hundreds of thousands of companies in the US. And that's just one piece of equipment. The cost to change to metric was by no means insignificant. That's just one reason. And it is neither stupid nor inadequate.

By the way, that last bit of yours is called ad hominem - attack the person. It's not the best argument. Every person has a limited amount of knowledge and ability. Neither you nor I hold all of either. It is not ways to assume stupidity or ignorance on the part of other persons. As many have stated, every measurement system has its advantages and disadvantages. Some have more of one or the other, but they all have some of each.

Post script number 2. I was already in the workforce when that metric change attempt happened and was strongly for it. I have since changed my mind.

Reactions: israndy
Wow! Math wiz or just google it?
That extra 0.56 m is irrelevant. It just throws the records off.
I’m tired of this nonsense. Let’s get back to the topic.
Kudos for GM for adopting the better standard with wider availability!
I hope that my purchasing a CCS to Tesla adapter inspires GM to do it to spite me again :)
Before saying "wider availability" it's worth noting the following:
All:
1686571911049.png

V3:
1686571874238.png

Tesla does continue to add V3s that supplement V2 or fill in gaps in V2, but Ford and GM are only getting V3+, so it won't have the current coverage that Tesla owners enjoy.
For example, my trip last year from Central Maine to Charlottetown, PE would have been helped in a Ford/GM with V3 by having access to the Charlottetown, PE Supercharger, but I'd have needed en-route CCS because Brewer, ME, Baileyville, ME, Quispamsis, NB and Salisbury, NB are all V2 and on NB-1, my preferred route, the chargers are 1 x 50kW CCS.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
That would be an awesome tradeoff. Tesla opens the superchargers to other manufacturers BUT supercharging becomes free for Teslas.

Only in my dreams though
Even if they brought some limited form of free Supercharging, it would be great. At one time, Tesla offered 400 kWh free per year for life. It would be nice if they brought something like that back as it would help with a few road trips that we take every year. We do still have unlimited free Supercharging on our 2017 Model S but when there's more than two people in the car, we prefer to take the X.