Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks neat. The phone controlled internet car is going to attract some attention regardless if electric or not. Having the electric powered vehicles be "state of the art" in that regard is something to look forward to.

That looks neat. The phone controlled internet car is going to attract some attention regardless if electric or not. Having the electric powered vehicles be "state of the art" in that regard is something to look forward to.

I was thinking that too. You can whip out your phone and show your car's features with it out in the parking lot.

Nissan too
http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/wheeldeal/2009/10/20/nissan-leaf-gets-iphone-application/

Nissan-Leaf-iPhone-Application.jpg

People are downloading and playing with it.

I downloaded the app last night and it's really neat. The link I provided said it didn't have support for the volt, but that's all it is. There is even a simulated Volt called Sparky that you can follow and see the SoC, MPG, odometer, etc. They even give you the VIN # of the vehicle. If it is a real VIN #, there must be some sort of read only command available so we can't unlock the car, etc.

The app is really neat! I can remote start the car and adjust the temperature of the cabin. I can unlock the car too. And of course, set charing time and get notified when the charge is complete or interrupted. Even if you don't have a smartphone, you can always call someone with one and have them download the app and give them your VIN and stuff so they can unlock the car and save a call to AAA.

All of the EV manufacturers need to make an app like this. It's awesome!

Search for "Mobile Experience" to locate the app on iTunes. ("OnStar" or "GM" won't find it.)

From: GM confirms plans to build Volt-based Cadillac | Reuters

Lutz said that despite the relatively high price expected for the Volt "near $40,000," tax credits and other incentives from employers would make the cost closer to $30,000 for many consumers.

"We will have no trouble disposing of 40,000 to 50,000 units per year at those prices," Lutz said.

That's a pretty poor choice of words really, isn't it?

Chevrolet Volt | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express

As efficient as a full-electric car, but with the practicality of a petrol-powered model, the Volt is a massive step forward. Although it seems expensive, pioneering technology always is, and the savings at the pump should help make up for this. On top of that, it’s smooth, fast, comfortable and easy to drive. Don’t dismiss this Chevy as merely another hybrid – it’s the most important model for years.

This is contrary to what we have been led to believe before:

As soon as the batteries run below 30 per cent charge, the 1.4-litre petrol engine fires up and settles to a 1,600rpm idle, while it tops up the power as you continue to drive. On steep inclines, the motor can reach as much as 4,000rpm to meet the battery demands. Once charge hits 85 per cent or above, the engine turns itself off and you continue on your way.

This is disappointing:

The connector is the proposed SAE J1772 standard plug. In theory it is capable of handling 16.8KW / 70 amps, so it was a surprise to us that the Volt can only charge at a 3KW rate at 240V. This is half of what the EV1 and typical house circuit (such as for an electric dryer) can handle. The reasoning might be that the Volt has a smaller battery back to fill, but we feel that it should use up to 6 KW for those times when we might want a quick recharge while having lunch or other short stop at home or a public charger.

Last edited: