Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Volt couple of days ago and was surprised how loud the car was when in gas going up a hill. It felt as if I was driving in 40 miles an hour in second gear. I wonder if this is normal?
Originally I test drove it in electric mode and it was fine.
Going up hills/accelerating to highway speeds revs the engine fairly high when running on gas but that is the only time it is loud. Plus when your used to hearing nothing at all every engine sound seems louder:wink:

Last edited:
I also drive a Wrangler with a Hemi (very loud) so I'm use to ICE noise. The Volt in ICE mode seemed extremely loud going up the hill.
The engine is loader because they only put a 1.4L naturally aspirated engine to to power a 3700lb car which requires it to rev higher to meet the energy demands of the electric motor during peak usage. Have you driven a smaller car like the Toyota Corolla it is much lighter (2800lb) and uses a 1.8L but has a similar engine sound when accelerating to highway speeds.

Anyone know if the volt will be updated with a better battery pack i live in the uk where it is sold as the volt and vauxhall ampera the vauxhall has a few nicer trim bits and a bose sound system

I am thinking of getting one i do work for vauxhall franchised dealer so can get money off and i will never be able to afford a model s but wondered if its worth waiting for say next years model if its getting a better battery pack

We'll if you only drive 25 or 30 miles a day, and rarely go more than 100 miles the Volt is a good choice, BUT we are back to maintenance , we have a motor, that requires oil changes, tune ups, emission test, muffler, starter motor ,etc. we that going on an extended trip, say 1,000 miles. The volt is no better than my Honda Accord (36mpg). Sure you could stop and spend 3 hours every 150 miles and charge the battery and save 40 miles of fuel. It has it's place. For a person as myself, majority of my driving is 300 miles a week (60 miles a day max commute ) it would work out very good. Not the best plan but not the worst either. JMHO. Something for me to consider. At 67 Years young pay back is not an option.

We'll if you only drive 25 or 30 miles a day, and rarely go more than 100 miles the Volt is a good choice, BUT we are back to maintenance , we have a motor, that requires oil changes, tune ups, emission test, muffler, starter motor ,etc. we that going on an extended trip, say 1,000 miles. The volt is no better than my Honda Accord (36mpg). Sure you could stop and spend 3 hours every 150 miles and charge the battery and save 40 miles of fuel. It has it's place. For a person as myself, majority of my driving is 300 miles a week (60 miles a day max commute ) it would work out very good. Not the best plan but not the worst either. JMHO. Something for me to consider. At 67 Years young pay back is not an option.
I've driven 28K electric miles and 10K gas miles on my volt in 3 years. One oil change at 2 year mark (oil age). There will be very little ICE maintenance with such little miles on it. There is no starter. The generator is used to start the ICE. Gets to several hundred rpm in a subsecond. Even when below zero here in Chicagoland .the ICE started in a second after sitting all day at work (ICE runs for a few minutes to use waste heat to warm cabin quickly)

The benefits are still great in the Volt because you get electric drive and regen. I drive in max regen (Low) so I don't kno when I will need to change my brake pads.

I drove 27000 EV miles and 3000 gas miles in three years of owning my 2011 Volt. The gas miles were mostly for out of town trips. In town Public L2 charging, and daytime L2 charging at home in between errands has been useful to drive beyond my 35 EPA mile EV range without using gas. Actual EV miles on a single charge ranged from 22 in sub-zero snowstorms to 58 miles in nice weather with no HVAC.

The gas engine is convenient to fuel for trips, and it is nice to be able to go back to EV driving at my destinations. I would still prefer 265 mile range and Superchargers, which I think will be the best solution in the long term.

I love the Volt however, and now I have a 2014.

GSP

Since the Tesla S is out of my price rage at the moment in time, I may have to settle for a Volt. I have found them used in the. $20,000 range with low miles and in my locality. I may go test drive one in the very near future. Anything I should be looking for? Problems that I may be able to spot? My normal daily drive is is less than 25 miles. This Volt should hold me over until the Tesla used market drops down a bit more ( $40,000 or less ) I do like the new option of being able to switch manually to ICE and save battery for in town use. I understand this is not an option with the older (2011 volt ). Is there another electric I should consider? Not a fan of the small Leaf or Toyota.

I just assumed a lease on a Volt. $290 per month with 30 months to go. It solves the range anxiety issue for the SO. Until the technology matures (used Teslas for $40,000) I prefer to lease.The assumption was a pain and took 45 days. It only cost $595 lease tranfer fee to Ally Bank.

Since the Tesla S is out of my price rage at the moment in time, I may have to settle for a Volt. I have found them used in the. $20,000 range with low miles and in my locality. I may go test drive one in the very near future. Anything I should be looking for? Problems that I may be able to spot? My normal daily drive is is less than 25 miles. This Volt should hold me over until the Tesla used market drops down a bit more ( $40,000 or less ) I do like the new option of being able to switch manually to ICE and save battery for in town use. I understand this is not an option with the older (2011 volt ). Is there another electric I should consider? Not a fan of the small Leaf or Toyota.

There's nothing else that would do 25 miles consistently. In fact 25 miles will be doable in cold weather, except that the engine will run occasionally at 15F or below to ensure everything's warm enough. (Older Volts didn't allow 15F, can't remember which year changed it).

When shopping used, do remember that you can get at least net $3k under MSRP on a new 2014 Volt in addition to the $7.5k (post sales tax) tax credit.

Ask at gm-volt.com for more details on things for which to look out on different model years.