TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

GM's 60 year lead in Autopilot Technology

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Saghost, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Well, okay, not exactly. But this is a 1956 GM video featuring automotive "Autopilot" including Autosteer, if not in exactly the form we expect today. :)

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  2. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Thanks, I needed that.

3. GSP

GSP Member

It all starts with a dream. Thanks for posting,

GSP

4. YoungStranger

YoungStranger Member

Not so sure about the navigation system though..given that they are last seen driving through acactus strewn desert to Chicago! :)

5. David29

David29 Active Member

I seem to remember seeing a car like that at an auto show when I was kid (I was in 6th grade when this film was made). I also remember the Chrysler corp. turbine cars of that era -- they did not last long as I recall.
    Plus I remember the embedded wire concept of traffic controls -- The US DOT was experimenting with it in the early 1970s and maybe even later, before wireless technology and small computers were widely available and economical to consider.
    Dating myself, I know...!