Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Artesia and work for Eddy County. Both the County and City rejected (it may have been rookie to attempt the city and county and not private), But I have a lead for Whites City for those Carlsbad Caverns Folks. Unfortunately, this does not help with the North travelers looking to ride to Roswell and up to the Santa Rosa Supercharger Stop, unless you are willing to trickle charge.

I live in Artesia and work for Eddy County. Both the County and City rejected (it may have been rookie to attempt the city and county and not private), But I have a lead for Whites City for those Carlsbad Caverns Folks. Unfortunately, this does not help with the North travelers looking to ride to Roswell and up to the Santa Rosa Supercharger Stop, unless you are willing to trickle charge.
Whites City would be helpful.

Reactions: wreighven

Please PM me details. I would love to install a EVSE in Whites City.

I'm betting those will cost ~$0.50/kWh. Better than nothing but....

I'm hoping to get Artesia started in a month or so. Plan to order the equipment in a few weeks. The McDs owner is pleased with the reception the Roswell HPWCs have received. Glad he didn't get sticker shock. He's donating >$100/mo in electricity. Probably not a lot all things considered.

Let your McDonalds owner know that we appreciate it. We stop, charge and buy a meal every time we head north. That 4% charge up has saved us many times...

Matt in Artesia

Let your McDonalds owner know that we appreciate it. We stop, charge and buy a meal every time we head north. That 4% charge up has saved us many times...
The McD's owner is a Tesla driver and a supporter of EVs. He is also no dummy when it comes to increasing his franchise profits.

I'll guess it costs him ~ $0.6 of electricity to bring an EV to his destination, and few if any of these people would otherwise have stopped by. A large fraction (? all) of those who charge buy at his store and spend .... I'll guess $10 - $15.

As advertising campaigns go, working with @nwdiver is gold.

The McD's owner is a Tesla driver and a supporter of EVs. He is also no dummy when it comes to increasing his franchise profits.

I'll guess it costs him ~ $0.6 of electricity to bring an EV to his destination, and few if any of these people would otherwise have stopped by. A large fraction (? all) of those who charge buy at his store and spend .... I'll guess $10 - $15.

As advertising campaigns go, working with @nwdiver is gold.

Just 30 minutes of charge on average (at $0.12/kWh all-in)? Given the location, I would have expected a dollar or three per visitor. Still, a small amount as long as people are purchasing food while they wait.

I look forward to the day that Tesla can handle L2 billing through the car in the same way they do it with superchargers. This will make destination charging much more attractive for property owners because it will allow them to provide charging without also subsidizing power (unless they want to).

@nwdiver would have a better idea of volumetric charges, but this pdf says 6.7 cents per kWh
https://www.cvecoop.org/sites/cvecoop30/files/Billing/Rates/1 Residential Service.pdf

I do agree with your comment about L2 charging

The McDs is on a residential service rate since it's a stand-alone meter with < 25kW of demand. In many ways it would actually be MUCH worse if it was fed from the business. Un-managed a single car charging for 15 minutes could increase their electric bill ~$200. ($10/kW)(20kW).

It's hard to say if the increase in business is making up for the increased cost of electricity. But this could also very well have a halo effect.

The McDs is on a residential service rate since it's a stand-alone meter with < 25kW of demand. In many ways it would actually be MUCH worse if it was fed from the business. Un-managed a single car charging for 15 minutes could increase their electric bill ~$200. ($10/kW)(20kW).

It's hard to say if the increase in business is making up for the increased cost of electricity. But this could also very well have a halo effect.
Am I following correctly, that the owner receives two bills a month -- one bill for his business and one bill for the charging setup ?
And the EV charging is billed as a monthly connection fee + kWh charges + taxes ?
If so, what is the monthly fee, and is the volumetric charge ~ 7 cents a kWh ?

This all sounds dirt cheap to me, but please correct any errors.

Am I following correctly, that the owner receives two bills a month -- one bill for his business and one bill for the charging setup ?
And the EV charging is billed as a monthly connection fee + kWh charges + taxes ?
If so, what is the monthly fee, and is the volumetric charge ~ 7 cents a kWh ?

This all sounds dirt cheap to me, but please correct any errors.

Yes; Two separate bills. ~$9/mo and ~$0.10/kWh. I guess if someone buys a $20 lunch and charges for an hour they're probably benefiting. If someone plugs in and tours downtown Roswell for 4 hours not so much.

I guess if someone buys a $20 lunch and charges for an hour they're probably benefiting.
I don't have any clue about the markup at McD but years ago I calculated that restaurants mark up the food COG by ~ 300%.
If that is true for McDs also then a $20 order is ~ $14 of gross profit.

Addendum
You got me going ...
A large portion of McD french fries is 150 grams and costs $2
$2 buys 900 grams of french fries at Walmart
Figure the Walmart retail mark-up equals the cost of oil and McD packaging
-- 6x markup.

It seems superfluous to calculate coffee or soda or ice cream

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
I don't have any clue about the markup at McD but years ago I calculated that restaurants mark up the food COG by ~ 300%.
If that is true for McDs also then a $20 order is ~ $14 of gross profit.

Addendum
You got me going ...
A large portion of McD french fries is 150 grams and costs $2
$2 buys 900 grams of french fries at Walmart
Figure the Walmart retail mark-up equals the cost of oil and McD packaging
-- 6x markup.

It seems superfluous to calculate coffee.

Don’t forget labor, taxes, insurance, rent/mortgage and utilities. Food cost is only part of the picture. From my time in the business years ago, prime cost for a restaurant was 50-60%, but slow business could put a damper on that very quickly.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I'm testing humanity... we'll see how long this J1772 adapter lasts. It's connected to the HPWC cable so it will at least have to be cut off if it wants to wander away.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.37.09 AM.png

Roswell has dispensed ~4200kWh so far. Not too bad I guess. I also meet an Uber Eats driver while I was there. I guess that's fair for a Uber Eats driver that delivers for McDs to be charging there. New landscaping looks nice.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.45.58 AM.png