Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, it would be nice to test drive the "Car 15, Where Are You?" MX Sig when it arrives. But I have a question for Bonnie over a concern on another thread.

Bonnie: Does your Model X have the AM radio band?

Since the MaxK video does not show the AM band on the screen and his Tesla training session ignores any mention of it, we need to make sure: Tesla Model X settings demo part 3 - YouTube

The problem is that iHeartRadio has some AM stations that do not exist in TuneinRadio. The only solution for "Live" "clear channel" KFI would be to use the iPhone or have a portable AM radio in the car.

I don't see any AM radio options.

I think I must have been unclear in my post. I'm now leaning towards ordering despite those things.

No, you were clear. I was mostly posting to the bigger audience. The thing is, even though the Founders are going to be big fans of Tesla, it is interesting to hear people comment about how surprised they are that things work better (like Auto Pilot). These are people that probably already own Model S or are at least very familiar with them and for them to be even more impressed than they expected to be with the Model X tells me something about how good it turned out.

I'll look next time I'm in the X.
When I was on the phone with the DS last night, he looked at the physical Owner's Manual.

No mention of the AM band.

I won't bail because of that, but I will miss the ease of listening to KFI "clear channel" 640 without using an iPhone and iHeartRadio to play through Bluetooth.

Too bad HD Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia couldn't make distant AM stations clear enough. If Tesla Motors adds an iHeartRadio app on the dash, the Model X entertainment will be restored to the fullness of variety that Model S drivers have enjoyed for years.

yDyJiC9.jpg

I am new here and think these cars are cool as hell. However, I can't really put my mind around spending so much money, so I was drawn to this post. I don't mean to get too personal, but is everyone buying these wealthy or is it the same old deal of being able to "afford the payment" even though their retirement is in question? I think the amount of families living paycheck to paycheck is around 75%. And I swear I am not trying to be holier than thou, I just am boggled by the purchase of something $100k that will be worth half that in 3 years? How is this a benefit to anyone's family?

And I saw some in here spoke of how they will tell their kids about how they helped save the planet. Really? They do realize that it produces tons more emissions to produce a new car than drive an older one??? If you really want to make a difference then get or keep a car that has already been produced. Funny how we rationalize our wants. I want one, and believe I can really afford it, but financially it is such a leap!

I am new here and think these cars are cool as hell. However, I can't really put my mind around spending so much money, so I was drawn to this post. I don't mean to get too personal, but is everyone buying these wealthy or is it the same old deal of being able to "afford the payment" even though their retirement is in question? I think the amount of families living paycheck to paycheck is around 75%. And I swear I am not trying to be holier than thou, I just am boggled by the purchase of something $100k that will be worth half that in 3 years? How is this a benefit to anyone's family?

And I saw some in here spoke of how they will tell their kids about how they helped save the planet. Really? They do realize that it produces tons more emissions to produce a new car than drive an older one??? If you really want to make a difference then get or keep a car that has already been produced. Funny how we rationalize our wants. I want one, and believe I can really afford it, but financially it is such a leap!

I totally get what you're saying. When I purchased my Roadster, it was for performance. I didn't buy into the environmental argument. Because there were a lot better ways I thought I could spend that money to help the environment than buy a performance car. Right?

Someone on the forum pointed out to me the influence I'd had at the large number of events I'd attended, showing that performance electric sports car. Thousands of people had seen it. I know there have been a LOT of sales of electric cars because of it. (Even some people here on the forum.) I've certainly held countless conversations about what we each, individually, can do to help reduce our carbon footprint because I own that fun car.

So yes, it is a ridiculous amount of money. Each one of us has our own reasons for buying what we buy. I tell my children that I'm spending their inheritance and, they'e told me 'well, you've earned it'. (Love them!) But don't ever think that your purchase of one of these cars or a more inexpensive version doesn't have a wider impact than just driving it, because it does. People see it on the road. They ask you questions at the supermarket. It becomes 'normal'. And they think about how it would fit into their life.

Individual decision. But a global impact.

To add to Bonnie's excellent response, I'll say that if you envision a future where all (or most) transportation is sustainable, you have to support that transition in some way. If we all just drive old cars and transform our streets in a Havana-esque landscape 30 years from now, we're not getting anywhere.

I'm a firm believer in voting with my wallet. Tesla's mission is meaningless unless people buy the cars. They've made an enormous impact on the public's perception of EVs, and the only way they've been able to do it is because people buy their cars.

So yes, if you look only at the single transaction, it would have been better for me to keep my '99 Acura. But that's not how we drive progress. My small contribution is by purchasing and driving an EV, and evangelizing about it when asked. Besides, it's 2016. We all thought we'd be in flying cars by now. At least I'm driving electric.

To add to Bonnie's excellent response, I'll say that if you envision a future where all (or most) transportation is sustainable, you have to support that transition in some way. If we all just drive old cars and transform our streets in a Havana-esque landscape 30 years from now, we're not getting anywhere.

I'm a firm believer in voting with my wallet. Tesla's mission is meaningless unless people buy the cars. They've made an enormous impact on the public's perception of EVs, and the only way they've been able to do it is because people buy their cars.

So yes, if you look only at the single transaction, it would have been better for me to keep my '99 Acura. But that's not how we drive progress. My small contribution is by purchasing and driving an EV, and evangelizing about it when asked. Besides, it's 2016. We all thought we'd be in flying cars by now. At least I'm driving electric.

That makes sense, "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet". I don't own any Birkenstocks, but I do see that electric is the future and and for good reason. It is not perfect yet (ie coal), however I do feel technology will figure out our energy needs for the future. Mr. Optimist? lol Ironically we had electric cars way back in the day and for me it is the performance, tech, safety, and like I said, "coolness" of the car that I love more than any dreams of saving the world. I do understand someone has to be early adopters, i'm just thinking they must be robbing some bank to make it happen.

I am looking into the business lease, but also considering a Yukon Denali as it has more room. Before you guys flame me, realize how nice it is that regular car shoppers are considering Telsa products as real alternatives, and not just a "green statement" to the world!! :) I am really leaning on keeping our old SUV, its just those gull wing doors are sweet! Cheers, guys.....

And I saw some in here spoke of how they will tell their kids about how they helped save the planet. Really? They do realize that it produces tons more emissions to produce a new car than drive an older one??? If you really want to make a difference then get or keep a car that has already been produced...

Regarding money - it's just a decision everybody has to make individually. You have a certain income, you have a certain budget. Some people like to spend the majority of their paycheck on a fancy car because they enjoy driving. Some people have a lot of money to spend. There is a wide variety of reasons why people are getting one, just loving nice cars could be one.

As for the environmental benefit - well yes, there is a huge benefit. We had a Highlander for the past 10 years, and in that time, we've pumped 3963 gallons of gasoline into it (slightly more, there were 7 instances when we forgot to log pumping gas). The Model X will be powered almost entirely by our solar panels. We'll easily offset the cost of producing the car. Not to mention that there will be no emissions as we drive, so we do our part to keep the air in our residential area cleaner and keep the noise level down.

There is definitely a range of people buying these.

1. People adding Model S as a daily driver to their household fleet. The cost of the car is a rounding error in their net worth.
2. People who would be otherwise buying a 7 Series or S Class, and are looking around and decide Model S is more interesting or forward thinking.
3. People who would be otherwise buying a car in the $40s or $50s and stretch to buy Model S because it is compelling.
4. People who would otherwise buy a Prius or Leaf, and stretch for Model S to go "all in" on the vision.

I would put myself in the 3rd category. My rules of thumb include never buy a car that is over half your annual income or have a mortgage over 3x your annual gross income. This forced me to decide between a fully loaded CPO, or a new 70D with only a few options. I did the CPO. No regrets as I am probably getting a Model X for my wife in 2 years that will get me the Autopilot, parking sensors etc., that my Model S doesn't have.

Best of luck in your process of pondering the Model S/X.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Hope things get better for you. Perhaps you should consider the base model? It is less expensive

Last edited:

I call it 'Paying it Forward'

Jeva:

if the Model S is a little too low for you, do what I do. First, I ordered the car with the Smart Air Suspension. Then, as I drove to all my usual places, I'd go into Suspension Controls and raise the car to its highest setting which raises the car a couple of inches.