Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Bye Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got our X100D in April, now at 8k Miles. I was pretty nervous at pickup given all of the issues reported in forums, but the car has been a dream. Only 2 tiny issues encountered since that I haven’t bothered to mobile service yet. I credit the delivery team with a thorough review and remediation prior to pickup.

Got our X100D in April, now at 8k Miles. I was pretty nervous at pickup given all of the issues reported in forums, but the car has been a dream. Only 2 tiny issues encountered since that I haven’t bothered to mobile service yet. I credit the delivery team with a thorough review and remediation prior to pickup.

You may also want to credit luck as much as anything (or positive variation if you don't believe in luck ;) ).

It seems there is a range of experience and not always related directly to the delivery. Have had issues with both my S and X that were not related to delivery at all.

I fully expected there to be issues with our car. It's not enough that I hate it but I'm definitely considering getting an S instead. I don't have a family but I much prefer the driving position and practicality of an SUV.

I fully expected there to be issues with our car. It's not enough that I hate it but I'm definitely considering getting an S instead. I don't have a family but I much prefer the driving position and practicality of an SUV.

I have both an S and an X and I would say the X seems better built and generally more reliable.

I guess the OP has signed a NDA, probably goodwill that tesla will buyback

No Lemon laws in Canada but lucky Californians

I can tell Model X build quality is probably worse than mini countryman but Tesla Service Center is definitely useful than crappy BMW stealership

One of OPs concerns, if you follow his posting history, was how much time his Teslas were spending in the shop. The OP was already driving loaner ICEs quite a bit I imagine.

People value different things. For some the stressfulness of an ownership experience with lots of issues and long repair times is more negative than, say, 0-60 responsiveness.

As for driving ICE, I admit I felt the same way as many of you when I bought my first Tesla in 2014. ("Car market literally down to 2 cars today") Since then I've "normalized" a lot though. BEV has become "everyday" and some ICEs have become interesting again (I even bought a fun one).

The only thing that I still hate about ICE is filling the tank. That I genuinely do still hate. :) I do expect BEVs to win, as they should, but I understand not all dislike driving ICE. Teslas have their downsides and for other those matter more than to someone else.

Reactions: CarbonFree
You may also want to credit luck as much as anything (or positive variation if you don't believe in luck ;) ).
Let's put this in perspective. How many Xs have been delivered? I think they are in the 60K+ volume. How many complaints in this forum? Happy customers do not follow or post to forums. I would say folks with a long list of items is bad luck not the other way around. I am one of the happy customers that has had minimal problems. Honestly, I have been much more picky with my X than any other vehicle I have owned. For example, my FWD squeaked as well. It was a quick fix at the SC. They have not squeaked since, 8 months. I never would have taken my ICE car in for a squeaky door. I actually like to follow the forums and even weigh through the complaints to see if I can help with any quick fixes or just user error items. I am commenting to say complaints are not valid, I just do not agree with your assessment is a majority representation. I worked for HP as a knowledge manager. One of your analytical input to measure customer sat was forum complaints or issues. The forums represented an extremely low measure against volume of units sold. As we factored priorities to address issues, forums were seen as the most unreliable data point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xcelerator
Let's put this in perspective. How many Xs have been delivered? I think they are in the 60K+ volume. How many complaints in this forum? Happy customers do not follow or post to forums. I would say folks with a long list of items is bad luck not the other way around.

The plural of “anecdote” is not “data.” Customers with bad, or even worse than average, experiences may not post here either. Tesla has all of the data, but they have shown a penchant for spinning facts beyond almost all recognition in their PR. Aside from Tesla we have Consumer Reports surveys, which place the X dead last out of all models for which data has been collected.

The plural of “anecdote” is not “data.” Customers with bad, or even worse than average, experiences may not post here either. Tesla has all of the data, but they have shown a penchant for spinning facts beyond almost all recognition in their PR. Aside from Tesla we have Consumer Reports surveys, which place the X dead last out of all models for which data has been collected.
I read the article. They took things into consideration that were subjective and not all anecdotal; FWDs being impractical, second row sets not folding all the way. If those were factored in, then I question the ranking.

Consumer Reports' Car Reliability FAQ along with average problem rates at Car Reliability Histories may be insightful.

And from the latter
The reliability charts are based on responses on more than 640,000 vehicles from our latest Annual Auto Survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. Consumer Reports subscribers reported on any serious problems they had with their vehicles during the past 12 months that they considered serious because of cost, failure, safety, or downtime, in any of the trouble spots included in the table below.

The scores in the charts are based on the percentage of respondents who reported problems in each of the 17 trouble spots. Because high-mileage cars tend to encounter more problems than low-mileage cars, problem rates are standardized to minimize differences due to mileage. The 2017 models were generally less than six months old at the time of the survey, with an average of about 3,000 miles.

Tesla's internal culture does not value quality above all else. It is geared to attempt to meet impossible deadlines set by Elon. Those two objectives are not the same, and sometimes incompatible.
Yep and that the company's all about hype.

Here are a few examples: insane mode, ludicrous mode, robot charging snake, D (which turned out to be AWD), bio-weapons defense mode, battery swapping, autopilot, falcon wing doors, "million mile drivetrain" goal, infinite mile drive unit warranty (but not if you had a 60 kWh Model S back then) and now semi, 1.9 second 0-60 mph Roadster.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger