Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Electric Drive GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought new Goodyear Electric Drive GTs for MY. I am pretty impressed with its handling and how quiet the ride is compared to the original Continentals. However, after driving for about 35 miles, I noticed that the efficiency decreased by about 20%. Anyone else has any experience with these new Goodyear electricdrive gt tires?

We just got these tires for my wife's Model Y. So far, based on 1500+miles on it, we've taken a slight range hit going from 267kw/h to 275-280ish kw/h on mixed street and highway. Note: I only count the latest 1000 miles because of the typical 500-mile break-in period. However, the tradeoff in comfort is well worth it. Even I am impressed by the noticeable improvement in comfort and stability (through cornering and long freeway entrance/exit curve ramp) that I may consider these for my model 3.
Thanks for the review! What size did you buy?

Upvote 0
I was thinking that too. Just wanted to use 500 as a frame of reference. My experience has more been 1000 miles, but with ICE cars. What about you?
I have Michelin PilotSport A/S4 on a 2019 Avalon Hybrid (prob around 20k miles) and my 2021 MYLR (14k miles) . Both settled in around 5k miles, IIRC.

Reactions: P-Lo801
Upvote 0
Curious what you think of the tires now - looking at them myself….
Been running Vredestein quatrac pro’s since last September. Over the long winter in New England, these tires were roughly 4-5% less efficient overall. Prior to the real cold months of fall, and now the warming months of spring, the tires have been on par with OEM. I suspect, with a full warm season, my overall number of 267kwh (prior to the tire changeover) will be equaled (maybe bettered). We shall see.

Upvote 0
Been running Vredestein quatrac pro’s since last September. Over the long winter in New England, these tires were roughly 4-5% less efficient overall. Prior to the real cold months of fall, and now the warming months of spring, the tires have been on par with OEM. I suspect, with a full warm season, my overall number of 267kwh (prior to the tire changeover) will be equaled (maybe bettered). We shall see.
Cool, thanks, think I am going to go with them over the Goodyears. Haven't had very good luck with Goodyears in the past.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
UPDATE: We've now reached 4.1k miles on these tires, and the avg consumption has pretty much been steady at 287kwh, which is roughly 7-8% higher consumption than what we got for the first 20k on the OEM continentals averaging 267kwh. If I subtract the first 1k miles of breaking in the tires, i'm fairly certain the avg efficiency would be closer to 270ish kwh.

My conclusion: I would not hesitate to buy these again for the added level of ride quality and performance they provide over the OEM tires. It's almost like they're a tweener tire straddling the best of grand touring all seasons and ultra high performance all seasons. Goodyear did very well with these IMO.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: We've now reached 4.1k miles on these tires, and the avg consumption has pretty much been steady at 287kwh, which is roughly 7-8% higher consumption than what we got for the first 20k on the OEM continentals averaging 267kwh. If I subtract the first 1k miles of breaking in the tires, i'm fairly certain the avg efficiency would be closer to 270ish kwh.

My conclusion: I would not hesitate to buy these again for the added level of ride quality and performance they provide over the OEM tires. It's almost like they're a tweener tire straddling the best of grand touring all seasons and ultra high performance all seasons. Goodyear did very well with these IMO.
Curious. Why would you subtract out the first 1k miles for the new tires but not the original. And unless you buy 1k mile used tires, it’s part of the total cost of ownership.

Upvote 0
Curious. Why would you subtract out the first 1k miles for the new tires but not the original. And unless you buy 1k mile used tires, it’s part of the total cost of ownership.
Fair point. It was my understanding that tires aren't effectively broken in until 1k miles, so the rolling resistance is higher during the break-in period and does not provide an accurate assessment of the average energy consumption. But subtracting 1k miles from the first 20k miles wouldn't necessarily affect the average much. That said, i'm no statistician, so you can discount my claims and merely take the average consumption of 287kwh as is without considering the break-in period.

Upvote 0
Just got my Vredestein QuatracPros installed today. Man, what a difference in ride vs my 36k-old Contis! :cool: Reset my Trip A to see what consumption looks like. Have a couple of road trips in the next six weeks so will put some miles on them quickly.
And the best is yet to come. No more fishtailing in the snow. This, for me, might be the best benefit between the V-Pros and OEM.

Looking forward to hearing about your efficacy numbers.

Upvote 0
Fair point. It was my understanding that tires aren't effectively broken in until 1k miles, so the rolling resistance is higher during the break-in period and does not provide an accurate assessment of the average energy consumption. But subtracting 1k miles from the first 20k miles wouldn't necessarily affect the average much. That said, i'm no statistician, so you can discount my claims and merely take the average consumption of 287kwh as is without considering the break-in period.
My point was more that you have the first 1k miles on your OEM tires too!

Reactions: awokeinthelbc
Upvote 0
I’m here googling after trialing ElectricDrive GTs two days in a row between LA and SD. It has horrible efficiency. TezLab app tells me it’s using almost 100Wh/mi more than before which was at 286Wh/mi, with our ‘18 3P; now it’s over 372Wh/mi.

I’m debating whether to wait it out until 1K mi or just go back to OEM tires which are marathoners at this point. We got 50% back from our warrantied mileage for 2 of our [back] tires. Will rotate more regularly and maybe go back to OEMs instead and collect the difference at the backend.

We drive long-range a lot and want to optimize for that.

Upvote 0
I’m here googling after trialing ElectricDrive GTs two days in a row between LA and SD. It has horrible efficiency. TezLab app tells me it’s using almost 100Wh/mi more than before which was at 286Wh/mi, with our ‘18 3P; now it’s over 372Wh/mi.

I’m debating whether to wait it out until 1K mi or just go back to OEM tires which are marathoners at this point. We got 50% back from our warrantied mileage for 2 of our [back] tires. Will rotate more regularly and maybe go back to OEMs instead and collect the difference at the backend.

Did you have an alignment done after installing the Goodyear ElectricDrive GT tires? What do you set as the cold tire pressure?

Upvote 0

That sounds similar to what our efficiency was in the first 1k miles, esp when we took it on a road trip four hours away to Paso Robles, CA.

I think it should be noted that these are technically ultra high performance all seasons, so they're not going to be as efficient as the OEM wheels.

If range is what you prioritize, you should look for grand touring all seasons.

Upvote 0
We went back to oem tires. Efficiency jumped right back up to upper 80 and 90th percentile in TezLab app with no breaking in. We will try to religiously rotate every 6,200 mi this time around to see if we can get 40k vs 20-25k out of them as somebody reported doing.

I mentioned in my previous posts above that even though we're giving up range with these tires, I think it's worth the tradeoff for the level of added comfort and performance we get compared to the OEM tires.

I liken these tires more as tires that strike a pretty good balance between ultra high performance and grand touring, which is a rare sweet spot. Technically the Y is the wife's car and she prioritizes comfort and nvh with respect to the tires and suspension. She didn't want to upgrade the suspension, so the next best thing we could do were to upgrade the tires. She's very happy with it and with only a 7-8% efficiency hit, she thinks the range hit is worth it for the added comfort.

In the end, you have to decide what you really prioritize in a tire as each tire category comes with compromises. And it seems like you're satisfied with the oem tires, so that's all that matters.

Upvote 0
Most of my driving is short but I'm looking for quieter tires my primacy mxm4s just went when I had Tesla come swap out my battery.
for those with the good years are they good? I have not bought good-year tires in 20 years I've been strict on the Pirelli and Michelin camp but I'm comparing the Pirelli P Zero all season plus elect vs the good-year electric drive gt, I drive in cold weather maybe a month a year but I always over think replacements including tires any thoughts would be appreciated, based on this thread it seems that people have mixed feelings on this tire.

Reactions: Pommie
Upvote 0