Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GOP tax reform bill would end the $7500 EV tax credit (and other tax related grousing and grumbling)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that means he only had taxable income to reach that low level. There are several ways to have insanely low taxes and still make a crap ton.

Not that low. (Honestly, I think the poster is confusing taxes due with taxes owed - it's a very common mistake on here).

Classic example is Warren Buffet who always points out he is in a lower tax bracket than his secretary.

Sure he paid 16%, but that was still $1.8m.

Reactions: geometro
Point is the system is broken as is. I made high 6 figures this year, and because of various state and federal loopholes and tax credits (thank you renewables, etc.) I will likely have a 2017 tax burden of less than 7%. Even I know that's not fair.

Don’t disagree that it has issues, but what you describe sounds like a situation where AMT would kick in.

(Edit for typo)

Point is the system is broken as is. I made high 6 figures this year, and because of various state and federal loopholes and tax credits (thank you renewables, etc.) I will likely have a 2017 tax burden of less than 7%. Even I know that's not fair.

Ditto. I noticed the bill isn't getting rid of Section 179 like they were originally planning - in fact Section 179 is getting itself a yearly COLA now. Score - what color do you want your Cirrus Jet in?

Didn't say it was fair.

Reactions: bhzmark
Probably not, at least for the S and X. I'm far enough down queue for the Model 3 that I've never worried about the credit. Since Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, that's not a concern either. Losing the state tax exemption would hurt. But the cutoff of $500k for mortgage deductions doesn't matter.

I suspect the latter will bite the GOP on the butt, should it pass, though. I doubt 90% of the members of Congress have any idea how much housing costs today. I wonder if it would apply to farms?

Every state including DCs average home price is under 500K except HI at $547K. All but 4(HI,DC,CA,MA) are below $300K and 4/5 of states average home price is below $200K. The average home price in SoCal is right around 500K. It seems congress knows exactly how much the average home costs nowadays.

Sorry, I’m not sure whether you meant that literally. $3.80 seems a bit high.
I would argue that it is MUCH higher. The cost impact is more than just the cost of the fuel. The health care impacts, long-term and environmental cleanup costs later just to name a few. Jesse and Zac did a good video on their "now you know" YouTube channel a few weeks ago to cover the impacts if you are interested....

Reactions: DR61
You only had $400 in Federal taxes? That means you earned ... mmm... let me check... a total of $14'500 for 2016?

You should probably not be buying a new Tesla in that case.

I only have about 20-30K or so a year in taxable income. I've had $982.90 taken out of FIT so far this year.
I think it was 2009 or 2010 where I brought home about 54K and only 10K or so was actually taxed.

Where did you get that from?

China and India are both currently following the Euro IV emission standards.

India is changing to Euro VI in 2020, bringing it on par to where Europe is today.

China's emission standard in 2020 will change to be the toughest in the world, combining the lowest levels of BOTH Euro VI and US Tier 2 & CARB standards. This is very much by design - apart from handling their local pollution, this would allow Chinese car manufacturers to be able to sell cars into the US & European markets without significant modification.

As far as CO2 emissions - at the same time China will require a fleet average mileage requirement of 47 mpg. Where will the US be in 2020? 35 mpg combined IF we're lucky and this requirement isn't scaled back? China already reached 35mpg back in 2015.

Where are both of those countries today? I'm pretty sure that for emissions they are both currently well behind USA/Europe.

USA was unable to pass/impose newer and much more restrictive CAFE standards and had to let them slide... we'll see what China is able to actually do vs. what they say they are going to do.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
Ditto. I noticed the bill isn't getting rid of Section 179 like they were originally planning - in fact Section 179 is getting itself a yearly COLA now. Score - what color do you want your Cirrus Jet in?

Didn't say it was fair.

LoL. No jet. Didn't make THAT much.

Do I think things are fair? Nope. But I do think this is a step in the right direction.

Perhaps if they are going to get rid of the EV tax credit, they could reduce/remove some of the oil subsidies? Those alone would cover a lot of this tax cut.

Sorry if this point has already been made, but those who are simply accepting the GOP tax plan as a done deal and are only considering how they personally will respond to the loss of the EV tax credit, might remember that, as citizens in a democracy, they have the right to participate in the democratic process. If you believe the EV credit is worth saving, you should consider contacting your representative and senators and expressing your opposition to ending this provision in the tax code. This step may be especially impactful if you live in a "red" district or state. While some may doubt it will do any good, surely the lessons of the ACA political battle of the past 9 months apply. The half million people who reserved a Model 3 might well influence the final shape of the current tax cut proposal. It is surely worth a try -- at least as worthy, and possibly more productive, than wringing of hands. Rather than wringing one's hands, try ringing your representative/senator.

I would argue that it is MUCH higher. The cost impact is more than just the cost of the fuel. The health care impacts, long-term and environmental cleanup costs later just to name a few. Jesse and Zac did a good video on their "now you know" YouTube channel a few weeks ago to cover the impacts if you are interested....
The $3.80 came from this study. Others have had varying results depending on methodology. The American Lung Association put out this report a while back, which was limited to ZEV states and concluded about an additional $1.15 in public health costs. I've seen some as high as $15/gallon inclusive of the cost of the fuel.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and OBX John
To be clear, this bill is absolutely good news for Tesla. They have a back order of about 500K M3's. Even if 25% of their buyers drop, they still have 375K buyers which translates to well over a year of back orders. The people who bail just drop out and those behind them drop in. At that point, once their CURRENTLY existing orders have been filled, they have been making continuous improvements to the production line and can afford to reduce the cost of the vehicle without affecting gross margins! So, now some of the people who dropped come back and Tesla appeals to an even broader market. Hell, maybe Tesla even starts to advertise their cars? Meanwhile, all of the "competition" needs the federal tax credit to sell almost every single car that they make. How many Leafs and Fiats do you think sell at full boat? They will seriously be hurt by this. Meanwhile Tesla enjoys the full benefit of their superior infrastructure and technology and continues to provide EVs to the world. The biggest losers here are American's who will see the EV adoption rate slowed here (not stopped) by this short sighted decision. Tesla though? Buy more TSLA.

Where are both of those countries today? I'm pretty sure that for emissions they are both currently well behind USA/Europe.

USA was unable to pass/impose newer and much more restrictive CAFE standards and had to let them slide... we'll see what China is able to actually do vs. what they say they are going to do.

On CO/CO2 they're ahead. Even the Euro IV CO/CO2 emissions standards back in 2005 were lower than the US Tier 2 (even CARB) standard is today. On NOX they'll be higher, sure, until 2020.

China has already passed the 2020 standards (called China 6) into law and their manufacturers have already started to respond to the upcoming law which takes effect July 1, 2020.

Keep in mind that having a globally competitive vehicle industry is a silver bullet for China. This isn't seen as an burden to them.

Urban myth: Pie chart of 'federal spending' circulating on the Internet is misleading

$4,000 Billion is Federal spending.
$600 Billion is military.

State, county, and local taxation is not included.

It's a huge chunk of discretionary spending, which the chart should have been clear about. It looks smaller when you compare it in combination with healthcare and social security, a tactic the Right uses to cover up their excess spending on military. It will look even smaller as deficit and interest on the debt balloons further under Republican leadership that doesn't know how to properly cut spending before cutting taxes. This is an area that the Republicans are supposed to be good at, so I'm very hard on them for it.

Reactions: Runt8
On CO/CO2 they're ahead. Even the Euro IV CO/CO2 emissions standards back in 2005 were lower than the US Tier 2 (even CARB) standard is today. On NOX they'll be higher, sure, until 2020.

China has already passed the 2020 standards (called China 6) into law and their manufacturers have already started to respond to the upcoming law which takes effect July 1, 2020.

Keep in mind that having a globally competitive vehicle industry is a silver bullet for China. This isn't seen as an burden to them.

You are clearly more up on what they are doing than I am. A relatively short time ago I read an article that went into some depth on what emissions standards they were requiring, and it was pointing out that their emissions requirements were at least 10 years behind what Europe was already requiring.

China is in a great spot. They are more or less forcing companies that want to sell their vehicles there to share all manufacturing knowledge with China and in most cases those companies need to take on a Chinese partner to get things done.

Additionally, my understanding is that China collects the import tariff on US company cars even if they are built in China.

All in all I'm not worried about what China thinks is a strength for them. They have managed to get themselves into a very advantageous position to try to usurp US and European manufacturers and we have allowed it to happen.

Reactions: McRat
Where does my money go when owning my Lexus vs Model 3? How many US jobs and additional taxes will this produce?

Lexus IS $40,000
Produced in Japan $36,000 (ABC Made in America say 0% American)
Sold in US $4,000