Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got an 85D as a loaner... handles surprisingly well vs. my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped off my P3D- & got a 2015 85D as a loaner... how the hell did they make a 5,000 lbs car feel this way? I haven't driven it for more than one evening, but I'm pressed to say that the handling inspires more confidence than my Model 3. The car feels lighter & tauter, even though it has a bigger steering wheel, with a slower steering ratio, weighs 1K lbs more and is almost a foot longer.

It has air suspension - could it all boil down to that? I'm not sure what it does - I know it adjusts the height, but I don't know whether it does any active balancing. I do know it'll probably break before the car hits 30K miles. I have a set of MPP sport coilovers that I intend to install soon, after which I'm hoping it'll blow this thing out of the water.

But seriously, throwing it into a corner... the car doesn't break a sweat. And it's on the same MXM4 tires. Can't imagine what the Taycan must feel like.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I had a ‘16 P90d loaner for a few days. I also thought it handled very well. However the seats were much less comfortable. Also the range dropped like a rock. I’m sure it was faster than my 3 AWD, but in insane (not insane+) mode seemed similar. I did really like the EAP on AP1.

I hated my 2017 S75D loaner. It felt like a 5100lbs car tossing it around. Maybe I’m a little more sensitive since I came from racing 3200lbs cars but I couldn’t wait to get back into my P3D.

Last edited:
I did, too - also 2,000 lbs cars. I think the P3D+ suspension is a bit more tuned for sportier driving than the P3D-. I'm looking forward to installing coilovers + sways + summer tires.

Does anyone know if the air suspension is doing any kind of active body roll management?

I had the complete opposite impression. I thought my P3D+ felt far more tossable and confidence inspiring than the 90D loaner with air suspension. The steering feel on the 90D was also inferior. You can really feel the heft in the S models in the corner.

Reactions: SK360
I dropped off my P3D- & got a 2015 85D as a loaner... how the hell did they make a 5,000 lbs car feel this way? I haven't driven it for more than one evening, but I'm pressed to say that the handling inspires more confidence than my Model 3. The car feels lighter & tauter, even though it has a bigger steering wheel, with a slower steering ratio, weighs 1K lbs more and is almost a foot longer.

It has air suspension - could it all boil down to that? I'm not sure what it does - I know it adjusts the height, but I don't know whether it does any active balancing. I do know it'll probably break before the car hits 30K miles. I have a set of MPP sport coilovers that I intend to install soon, after which I'm hoping it'll blow this thing out of the water.

But seriously, throwing it into a corner... the car doesn't break a sweat. And it's on the same MXM4 tires. Can't imagine what the Taycan must feel like.

I didnt have that impression at all when I get Model S loaners at my Service Center. They feel big, heavy, and ponderous, just like most BMW 5 series feel to me, even the sport equipped ones. Driving impressions are all subjective, but having model S loaners has convinced me I would likely never buy one.

Reactions: SigNC and SK360
It'll be interesting to see what else about the S and X get updated/refreshed when the Plaid power train comes out. My crystal ball says that in addition to the extra motor, we'll see some other areas on those models get some much needed love.

Hopefully not too much love, though, as I just gotta hold out on buying another Tesla until the Cybertruck arrives. And even the current Model X and S are making that really, really hard.

I’ve been driving a P85D loaner the last few days, does feel pretty good compared to my 2017 S75. More sporty through the turns, better (heavier) steering feel than my S. However, still doesn’t feel nearly as sporty as my wife’s model 3. I wish they could do something about the steering feel on my S, it’s so light even on sport mode. Anyone know if that’s something the SC could adjust? I’d pay for that.

Ever driven an X? It's wild for something that big and heavy.

Since I made this thread I’ve installed Eibach sways, MPP Sports coilovers + rear camber arms, and 19x9.5 wheels wrapped in 265/35 Michelin PS4S tires. The car isn’t even on the same planet anymore. I think the factory MXM4s have an insanely low limit. Can’t believe these were factory on the BRZ - I guess the point was to make the car slippery so that it was more engaging to drive. Same philosophy doesn’t carry over to the Model 3.

I drove a Model S on summer tires and on nordic winter tires. The tires and its pressure make ALL the difference in the world.

The low center of gravity can mask the weight of the car in terms of responsiveness. But an S on summer tires vs 3 on summer tires, there is no comparison in agility and mobility.

I had an S85D on lease for 3 years. It will fool you. Its really heavy, but the power to weight ratio is still high, so even though you're driving a boat, it doesn't feel like driving a boat. Until you actually do try to make a quick turn, and then it will slide out from underneath you.

Don't let it fool you -- it will NOT handle like the P3D if you push it.