Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got an interesting call from Tesla regarding 85D to 90D upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take the 90 and run! IMO Tesla should waive the 500 fee in your case. If not, I would still get the 90.

I have the dreaded Sig "A pack" which I've asked my SC to upgrade to a 90 and they have no info on the process or cost.

A similar item came up early on with the addition of the second charger, and I personally know many owners that were told it was either 1500 for the factory option, or it would be 1500 at the service center. Everyone of those owners ended up paying 3600 for that charger upgrade at the service center. I don't know of one case where Tesla honored the sales persons price.

Long story short, if you want it, get it now.

Peter

If you want it or need it, getting it now makes sense.
I wouldn't, I don't think. I am very satisfied with my 85D.
If Tesla offered it to me, right now, with my used (8k miles), I don't think I would do it.
I don't need it.
If you think you need those 15 extra miles, definitely do it.
I have taken my 85D 262 miles on one charge with 10 miles left (and also about 200 miles into a headwind on one charge) and that is all I need. More SupCs every month.
To make things, perhaps, even more confusing, this is what I would do: I would not upgrade but put the $3500 into TSLA. You may well come out ahead, and the investment will pay for the whole battery in few years, if you need it.

Last edited:
redflag.jpg

Initially, I felt the same as most replying to this thread - get the 90 battery now if you want it.

But, I'm not sure I really would. For one reason - its a different battery chemistry. That's a big deal, really. It may be better than what we have now (existing Tesla Model S owners), but it may NOT be, and you may find out the hard way. What if there's a significant "uh-oh" with the 90? And 4 years from now it shows up? You'll have to fight with Tesla to get it fixed or replaced - they won't want to admit its the battery chemistry at all!

Just sayin - you'll be one of the first ducks in a new pond. Beware shotguns!

- - - Updated - - -

A similar item came up early on with the addition of the second charger, and I personally know many owners that were told it was either 1500 for the factory option, or it would be 1500 at the service center. Everyone of those owners ended up paying 3600 for that charger upgrade at the service center. I don't know of one case where Tesla honored the sales persons price.

Long story short, if you want it, get it now.

Peter

Is there a post about this on TMC? Its very interesting. I don't remember this (I bought a 2013, and a 2015) - it seems like most things were significantly cheaper if you got them with the car when you ordered. I don't remember chargers being the same price whether you ordered it with the car or got it later. But maybe it was, or that's what people were told. I'd be interested to read more on this.

I don't remember this being hashed out on TMC. This was early on in 2012, and everyone made peace with it. The bottom line is that sales persons don't set prices, and prices may change significantly at any time.

View attachment 88235

Initially, I felt the same as most replying to this thread - get the 90 battery now if you want it.

But, I'm not sure I really would. For one reason - its a different battery chemistry. That's a big deal, really. It may be better than what we have now (existing Tesla Model S owners), but it may NOT be, and you may find out the hard way. What if there's a significant "uh-oh" with the 90? And 4 years from now it shows up? You'll have to fight with Tesla to get it fixed or replaced - they won't want to admit its the battery chemistry at all!

Just sayin - you'll be one of the first ducks in a new pond. Beware shotguns!

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a post about this on TMC? Its very interesting. I don't remember this (I bought a 2013, and a 2015) - it seems like most things were significantly cheaper if you got them with the car when you ordered. I don't remember chargers being the same price whether you ordered it with the car or got it later. But maybe it was, or that's what people were told. I'd be interested to read more on this.

1. Are you buying or leasing?

If leasing - save the $$$

If buying - pull the trigger now, you will NOT be able to retrofit it for same $$$ later.

I have an 85D in production but I am leasing so I could care less - even Musk said it's NOT worth it to existing 85 owners.

If you get it in writing that the 85->90 pack is going to be $3.5k or less post delivery, then by all means wait since you likely won't really need the extra 15 miles. If they won't put it in writing, and you think you need the extra 15 miles, then do it now.

Honestly, if they let me do the 85->90 upgrade for anywhere near $3.5k I'm going to probably do it to make my home -> South Hill, VA supercharger trips a no brainer instead of driving slowly/hypermiling and arriving with only 1 or 2 miles of range.........

And if you do get it in writing, please share... privately if you prefer. I would like to discuss it with my service center at that point. :)

I have a really hard time seeing how they can do the 85 -> 90 pack upgrade for only $3.5K. I'd definitely get that in writing. It seems like something that was cause quite a bit of overhead and work for them and I don't even understand how they plan to do that. Are they going to open up the pack and replace individual cells or essentially give you a brand new pack and take your old pack? If it is a new pack that is a crazy good deal, that almost seems unbelievably good.

I have a really hard time seeing how they can do the 85 -> 90 pack upgrade for only $3.5K. I'd definitely get that in writing. It seems like something that was cause quite a bit of overhead and work for them and I don't even understand how they plan to do that. Are they going to open up the pack and replace individual cells or essentially give you a brand new pack and take your old pack? If it is a new pack that is a crazy good deal, that almost seems unbelievably good.

Yeah, no way they're replacing cells. lol. Maybe whole modules, but they'd still have to replace them all for an upgrade, thus a new pack would be easier.

I could, however, see them utilizing used 85 pack cells in the 10kWh PowerWall (same cells) with the same warranty on it... meaning the net cost would probably be significantly less to them.

Get the 90kwh now, no questions asked. For reference let us use previous example when someone upgraded 60kwh to 85kwh:

Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh (Page 3)

I had hoped that the trade-in value of my old battery would be prorated for its actual use--10 months and 11,000 miles out of its guaranteed life of eight years and 125,000 miles. This would have amounted to about a 10-percent "restocking fee" rather than the actual 20 percent
But Tesla needs to make a profit on this transaction; I understand that.
The net cost to me of the new battery was $14,883. Adding five hours of labor ($600), minor parts ($125), the battery shipping cost ($1,520), and sales tax ($1,257) brought the grand total to $18,386.

Since you would be trading in an old battery, you would be hit by a restocking fee of the difference. Even say they wave the restocking fee.

Labor: $600
battery shipping cost: $1,520

The battery shipping costs alone will make it not worth it.

I would guess that the only way a $3,000 upgrade after production might be possible would be if all of the battery packs in production now are the new partial silicon anode types and the upgrade would be just firmware.

That might not be a crazy assumption, really. I'll be curious to see a pack model number for the latest vehicles come late August/September.