Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my new car today, autopilot on winding road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far everything has been great. Navigate on autopilot works perfect on highway.

And autopilot/autosteer works great for the most part. I notice when driving on a winding road, one lane each way with a double yellow line in the middle. The Tesla get very close to the yellow line, I haven't seen it cross, but it stays a little close for my comfort considering that is the side with cars coming and I would drive on the other side.

Is this pretty normal or what for roads like this? For people who have followed beta, does it do a better job on roads like this?

Your car is probably staying ~right in the middle of the lane. You can take a picture and post it like I've done below. The right picture probably matches your particular situation where it looks like the car is edging towards the inside of the curve in the rendering.

MY_Beach_AP.jpg

So far everything has been great. Navigate on autopilot works perfect on highway.

And autopilot/autosteer works great for the most part. I notice when driving on a winding road, one lane each way with a double yellow line in the middle. The Tesla get very close to the yellow line, I haven't seen it cross, but it stays a little close for my comfort considering that is the side with cars coming and I would drive on the other side.

Is this pretty normal or what for roads like this? For people who have followed beta, does it do a better job on roads like this?

Your car is probably staying ~right in the middle of the lane. You can take a picture and post it like I've done below. The right picture probably matches your particular situation where it looks like the car is edging towards the inside of the curve in the rendering.

View attachment 704970

My Model 3 has EAP, not FSD. On curves it always stays too close to the "wrong" side of the lane. "Wrong" being whichever side has oncoming traffic in the adjacent lane. Sometimes that's the inside of the curve, and sometimes it's the outside. But it's always too close to oncoming traffic. I've never seen it cross the line, but I learned to disengage any time there was an approaching truck, or else just not use it on curvy roads.

Tesla says to use it only on highways, but allows you to engage it any time it can detect lane edges. I've now taken to using it only on highways and straight roads.

Reactions: Murky-Article
My Model 3 has EAP, not FSD. On curves it always stays too close to the "wrong" side of the lane. "Wrong" being whichever side has oncoming traffic in the adjacent lane. Sometimes that's the inside of the curve, and sometimes it's the outside. But it's always too close to oncoming traffic. I've never seen it cross the line, but I learned to disengage any time there was an approaching truck, or else just not use it on curvy roads.

Tesla says to use it only on highways, but allows you to engage it any time it can detect lane edges. I've now taken to using it only on highways and straight roads.

Suggest read the manual section on AP/EAP . you will have a better understanding of the features and functionality as well as of its limitations or use cases where it is likely to cause error or not respond as you expect it to respond.

Suggest read the manual section on AP/EAP . you will have a better understanding of the features and functionality as well as of its limitations or use cases where it is likely to cause error or not respond as you expect it to respond.

Oh, I've read the manual many times. And I've used autosteer regularly in the four years I've had the car. I have a pretty good sense of what it can and cannot do, which is why I no longer use it on city streets or curvy roads. And why I am always alert and ready to take over. It's still more relaxing with autosteer on than off, because the car is doing the steering and speed control, and all I have to do is watch the road and be ready to take over.

Oh, I've read the manual many times. And I've used autosteer regularly in the four years I've had the car. I have a pretty good sense of what it can and cannot do, which is why I no longer use it on city streets or curvy roads. And why I am always alert and ready to take over. It's still more relaxing with autosteer on than off, because the car is doing the steering and speed control, and all I have to do is watch the road and be ready to take over.
Sorry, i assumed you have not read the manual... my mistake but I am glad you did

So post a pic.

My car driving itself flawlessly on the highway?
I'm interested- the manual says to only use AP on limited access highways. I was just on Maui a month ago, and I didn't see anything I'd consider a limited access highway (compared to the mainland) anywhere on the island. Where do you use it that you feel meets the manual's restrictions?

Does the car agree these are limited access roads? (allows you to set speed more than 5 MPH above the speed limit)

I'm interested- the manual says to only use AP on limited access highways. I was just on Maui a month ago, and I didn't see anything I'd consider a limited access highway (compared to the mainland) anywhere on the island. Where do you use it that you feel meets the manual's restrictions?

Does the car agree these are limited access roads? (allows you to set speed more than 5 MPH above the speed limit)

There is only one road I know of on Maui where my car will allow autopilot to function more than 5 mph over the speed limit. That's a stretch of the highway up to Makawao and Kula. However, the car will allow me to engage autosteer any time it can detect the lane edges. The car knows these are not "limited access divided highways" because it limits autosteer to no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. And yet it allows me to engage autosteer. The car knows what kind of road I'm on and allows autosteer to be used. Therefore the car thinks I am doing what it was intended for.

I have two criteria for use of AP: 1: The car will allow it, meaning that the car thinks the road is acceptable for its use; AND 2: I consider it to be safe. There are roads that meet criterion (1) but not (2) and I don't use it there. I've never encountered a road that met criterion (2) but not (1). Accidents have happened when drivers ignored criterion (2).

The car knows what kind of road I'm on and allows autosteer to be used. Therefore the car thinks I am doing what it was intended for.
According to the manual, anyplace it only allows +5MPH is not a limited access highway, and AP should not be used.

1631065899039.png

1631065973065.png

Just pointing out that anyone that says they "follow the manual" generally doesn't, as the manual is very clear that AP is not to be used, even though it can. It even says "if you choose to use AP on these roads..." right after it tells you not to. It's a pretty crappy manual if it's what we're using to gatekeep people using AP appropriately, as it is so inconsistent, and the code in the car itself doesn't obey the limits in the manual even though it could. I mean, it's insane to tell people to not do something, then be able to detect it and allow it, and then have features like traffic light detection that only work when you disobey the warning.

1631065950350.png

1631066225928.png

What is a "limited access road" that has a stop sign or light in your direction of travel?

Attachments

• 1631066187493.png
    1631066187493.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
According to the manual, anyplace it only allows +5MPH is not a limited access highway, and AP should not be used.

View attachment 706521
View attachment 706523

Just pointing out that anyone that says they "follow the manual" generally doesn't, as the manual is very clear that AP is not to be used, even though it can. It even says "if you choose to use AP on these roads..." right after it tells you not to. It's a pretty crappy manual if it's what we're using to gatekeep people using AP appropriately, as it is so inconsistent, and the code in the car itself doesn't obey the limits in the manual even though it could. I mean, it's insane to tell people to not do something, then be able to detect it and allow it, and then have features like traffic light detection that only work when you disobey the warning.

View attachment 706522

View attachment 706525

What is a "limited access road" that has a stop sign or light in your direction of travel?

So you're saying that autopilot should not be used where the car recognizes it's not a limited-access divided highway but still allows you to use it?

BTW, I've never said that I follow the manual. I have read it. I do not fetishize it, especially the bits obviously inserted by lawyers which clearly contradict the car's own programming.