Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Fence for Trunk height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reasons I don't know, the Trunk door now seems to realize that there is a low ceiling when in the garage, and opens just short of it. Outside it opens all the way. Can this be?

I think they simply realized that your input was important and insightful and that they should have paid you as one of their people. Or something. I have trouble hitting my head on my Model S rear hatch, but then again, I'm used to it. Milli won't let me get a short haircut because of all the scars on my head.

Another poster (@RossRAllen) over at the Tesla Motors forum did an experiment where they blocked the top FWD sensor with cardboard at various heights and then tried the trunk lid opening. In each case the trunk lid stopped a few inches shy of the height of the cardboard so it appears it is using that sensor to determine how high it can safely open.

I agree it's a nice ota freebie. Even better than the complicated GPS aware settings many wanted.

Another poster (@RossRAllen) over at the Tesla Motors forum did an experiment where they blocked the top FWD sensor with cardboard at various heights and then tried the trunk lid opening. In each case the trunk lid stopped a few inches shy of the height of the cardboard so it appears it is using that sensor to determine how high it can safely open.

I agree it's a nice ota freebie. Even better than the complicated GPS aware settings many wanted.
I guess the moral of this story is to give Tesla time to sort this stuff out and they'll eventually delight us with cool features we hadn't thought about.

Yeah I can confirm this too. Reset default trunk opening height to maximum, parked in the garage with the door open, then opened the trunk. The trunk opens a few inches shy of the garage door, even though the garage door is closer to the ground where the trunk lid opens (on the curve of the track). Awesome change.

I have hit my head many times on the lower opening height I had to set to avoid having the rear lift gate hit my open garage door. I am learning to always own it fully manually when I am outside of my garage - but it has taken quite a few knocks on the head for me to learn. This is actually my number one complaint about the X.
I vote for an automated feature on this also. I have same issue on Model S where I would like to have the trunk open a bit less so that it would clear the open garage door a bit better when in the garage.

I am thrilled that they made this change. It seems to work well. No more knocking heads with the door unnecessarily. With a bit more work on the falcon wing doors, the garage problems will be solved. Elon did say there were two S/W releases so I am anxiously awaiting the next one.

GPS fencing would still be useful when backing in; in that case the sensor has no opportunity to scan the area directly over the lift gate. Most home garages are uniform in height, but that's not true in some other parking situations.

I wonder if the vehicle is sensing that there's an overhead obstacle and opening the trunk to a prescribed lower height like the Falcon Wing doors, or if the roof sensor is returning a specific measurement and adjusting the trunk opening to a calculated height.

or if the roof sensor is returning a specific measurement and adjusting the trunk opening to a calculated height
A poster tried different heights of interference and the lid opened at different heights.
GPS fencing would still be useful when backing in; in that case the sensor has no opportunity to scan the area directly over the lift gate. Most home garages are uniform in height, but that's not true in some other parking situations.
Yeah. With only one sensor it could just be seeing what's directly overhead but on the other hand it could be sensing the closest obstacle even at wide angle.

Additional tests I did show that there's no sensor in the bottom lip of the rear hatch or near the spoiler, so anything interfering with those parts in their opening arc will be hit. The FWD roof sensor IS setting a opening limit for the hatch, but since it is several feet forward of the spoiler (and hatch lip), it doesn't actually detect obstacles these parts may hit. Protruding hinges on a roll-up garage won't be detected, just the flat planar surface of the overhead door. So,... be careful. If you set the hatch to fully-open outside, and then open it under your garage door, be prepared to stop the hatch on the first live test. Of course, stopping 3" short doesn't give you much reaction time. Maybe 3" of padding on the spoiler might be a good way to prevent damage if it doesn't work as expected.

It works fine for me, and allows full opening outside as well as restricted opening under the garage door. A nice feature. Since I now depend on it, let's hope Tesla SW engineers won't remove it in future updates without warning.

Now the question comes up: do the sensors in the rear bumper in any way prevent the hatch from opening into a rearward obstruction such as a wall or a closed garage door? At least the sensors did not detect my body standing directly behind the car within the arc of the opening hatch: it plowed right into me and kept going.

Now the question comes up: do the sensors in the rear bumper in any way prevent the hatch from opening into a rearward obstruction such as a wall or a closed garage door? At least the sensors did not detect my body standing directly behind the car within the arc of the opening hatch: it plowed right into me and kept going.

Good question. My guess is no, it doesn't use the rear sensors. But it would begin in a future update as the arc of the trunk opening seems to be a good extra 4-6 inches of clearance. If I don't pull a good into my garage with a full 18 inches of clearance behind the X, I fear it would hit either the trunk. Or me if I were to open it while standing behind it.

I am unable to adjust my trunk height in my garage. I too have scars on my forehead from the trunk edge. Supposedly, you can reset the GPS fence by manually raising the trunk above the sensed level (there is plenty of room), and then pushing and holding the trunk close button until it beeps. Mine beeps just fine, but then when you next raise the trunk, it stops at the previous lower opening (ignoring my requested change). Repeating doesn't help. I called Tesla, but they have not done anything.