Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice on how to reset? GPS froze yesterday while driving in AP mode. Received message saying auto pilot unavailable for remainder of the trip, and GPS has stayed at that location since. App shows vehicle at that location as well. Can’t use summon (too far away). Can’t navigate (start point is that frozen location). I have tried reboots, I do have a mobile appointment for the 30th. Any thing else I should try? Been over 18 hours now....

Any advice on how to reset? GPS froze yesterday while driving in AP mode. Received message saying auto pilot unavailable for remainder of the trip, and GPS has stayed at that location since. App shows vehicle at that location as well. Can’t use summon (too far away). Can’t navigate (start point is that frozen location). I have tried reboots, I do have a mobile appointment for the 30th. Any thing else I should try? Been over 18 hours now....
Not all systems/threads are shut down with 2 finger reboot or even the 'power off' menu option.
My similar thread. I followed procedures;
* disconnect 12v ground
* disconnect first responder loop
* wait 2+ minutes
* reconnect first responder loop
* reconnect 12v ground;
GPS location stuck at one location; how to reset?!?!

Attachments

• Replace 12v Battery - Disconnect 12V Power.pdf
    183.8 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Hi @MEAllard,

Another less creepy way you might try to reset your car and GPS would be:
Go to Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to something else - Not what it is now...
After you confirm the wheel size change you get an information that the system will reboot...
Let the system reboot...
Go back to the Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to your ACTUAL wheel size and design.
After the confirm wheel size change the system will reboot...

These reboots are very similar to what @scottf200 suggests but without getting
under the hood.
These reboots reset the car's Gateway...

After the second reboot try a brief drive to see if the GPS works...
You will get a brief message at the start of your drive that the TPMS reset successfully...

Good luck,

Shawn

ShawnA - that worked! Thank you very much (I'm sure Scottf200's idea would have worked as well, but I didn't want to mess with disconnecting the battery, etc). Meanwhile, service is still trying to figure it out! I will let them know what worked, and will cancel my mobile appointment - thanks again for the solution!

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
Hi @MEAllard,

Go to Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to something else - Not what it is now...
After you confirm the wheel size change you get an information that the system will reboot...
Let the system reboot...
Go back to the Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to your ACTUAL wheel size and design.

under the hood.

You will get a brief message at the start of your drive that the TPMS reset successfully...

Good luck,

Shawn
Does this work on a model 3?

Hi @tamon77 ,

It should work on a model 3...
A quicker one cycle version of this is to change within the same size of tire.
Visual only... Then your car avatar will look different until you do it
next time to get back to your original design tires...

It's worth a try,

Shawn

Hi @MEAllard,

Let the system reboot...

under the hood.

Good luck,

Shawn
Just found this last night after having no map for four days! Tesla garage totally stumped about what to do. Your trick worked!! Thank you so much! :cool:

Hi @MEAllard,

Let the system reboot...

under the hood.

Good luck,

Shawn
Shawn! You're a genius! My GPS has been frozen for 3 days and had a mobile service appt scheduled. Tried your trick and it worked! Thanks so much!

Shawn IS a Genius!

Here are some more reset tips and tricks!:

• Helpful
Does this work on a model 3?
Hi @MEAllard,

Let the system reboot...

under the hood.

Good luck,

Shawn
Thank you Shawn, I can confirm this worked like a charm for me on my 2017 MS ! After a few days of waiting, reboots and 2 power downs- changing the tires and then back did the trick. What a great find lol. Saved me from a trip to the service center.

Just because this thread is great, and helped me, wanted to come leave my update.

This happened to my wife's 2018 Model 3 yesterday (11/16/2021) and this morning I found this thread, went in and changed to a different type of 18" wheels, the reboot happened, and then I changed back and another reboot.

Problem fixed, viola!

Great thread!

@ShawnA this thread helped me in the past with my GPS being frozen. Today it helped me in an unexpected way. My SiriusXM radio screens all seemed to be working just fine, but I could not get any sound at all. The terrestrial radio and Bluetooth both had functioning sound. I tried the dual scroll wheel reboot, and could not get any sound from my SiriusXM radio stations. I then remembered this thread and tried it out. Lo and behold I was able to hear my SiriusXM radio once again. What a strange thing to have to do, but i am happy once again. Thanks!

• Helpful
Shawn's fix worked for me. I left the car unplugged overnight for at least 10hrs to see if that would do anything. It did not.

As far as the fix, it didn't look like it worked at first. I may not have waited long enough because when it finally worked it gave me a warning that my Tire Pressure Sensors we're reset. Then everything was working as expected. There was no warning the car was going to reboot, it just did and did it very quickly.

2018 Model 3 RWD LR

Not all systems/threads are shut down with 2 finger reboot or even the 'power off' menu option.
My similar thread. I followed procedures;
* disconnect 12v ground
* disconnect first responder loop
* wait 2+ minutes
* reconnect first responder loop
* reconnect 12v ground;
GPS location stuck at one location; how to reset?!?!

Scott, after my reported "success", this continued to come back. Service looked at it, and "factory reset" the vehicle (even tho I didn't loose any of my settings/signins?) as well as "redid the firmware". They said they ran GPS tests and advised the signaling was good at the time of tests. The problem has continued to happen. I have service again scheduled for the 5th and this time they have put on the estimation a new hardware computer. To be quite honest, I've had practically everything replaced on my 2018 beyond the battery and the hardware computer. Over 25 service appointments on my 2018 M3 Long Range. Currently have 81k miles on it. If they expect pay for it, they're at least going to get a peace of my mind in the process...

So frustrating the amount of repairs I've had. I had my drive unit replaced after 15k miles, rear axle, seats, steering wheel, piller cameras, headlights, taillights, rotors, calipers, brake clips, brake pads... Like what the heck. Lol

Last edited: