Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS showing me in the ocean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather annoying problem today with the GPS showing the car in the ocean.

Rebooting doesn't help. Power off doesn't help.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Attachments

• 25F8C583-D586-41E0-8CA9-65AC4AC6C0F9.jpeg
    25F8C583-D586-41E0-8CA9-65AC4AC6C0F9.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 160
It would be nice if there was some app giving information from the GNSS module, along the lines of the apps available for mobile phones, showing which satellites are visible and in use, whether or not the unit is currently giving a location and the current estimated error.

It would be nice if there was some app giving information from the GNSS module, along the lines of the apps available for mobile phones, showing which satellites are visible and in use, whether or not the unit is currently giving a location and the current estimated error.

There is no app on the car, but when my wife, the person was able to tell us our GPS is working and how many satellites it saw. But there was something they need to reset there to make it unstuck. Also it was not immediate... it takes like 20 minutes before it went back to normal.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: .jg. and Jlindo
How old is your car? How many old destinations are in the navigation system?

I purchased my 2013 Model S in March 2017 used. Previous owner did not reset the car to factory defaults which clears all settings including the navigation previous destination list. I did not reset the car either. By March 2018 I started getting random nav screen freezing, sometimes showing me in the Atlantic Ocean. Then the whole system would crash - streaming audio would freeze, turn signal click would not sound, MCU started rebooting every 10 minutes, if I didn't do it first. While rebooting the climate controls did not work either.

Called service and they recommended resetting the system to factory defaults, which I eventually did. That did fix the problems. The tech I talked to said if there are too many destinations in the nav system or if the trip counters are not reset occasionally, that can cause this type of problem. Sounds like a stack overflow corrupting the code. Too many destinations in the nav list must have overrun some code. You cannot delete the previous destinations without a reset. I'm simply surprised that such a problem exists in this system. It's easy to prevent.

So if you find your nav system acting up - freezing, moving but offset by a few miles, showing you are in the ocean...(I've had all of these), and you have lots of destinations piled up in the nav system, do the factory reset. Yes, you lose all your custom settings and have to redo a few things, but it fixed my '13 and it has been working flawlessly since I did the reset.

A GPS that loses its location is absolutely normal. Not only when reception is hard (I seen it on Manhattan a lot) but also in areas where there is a lot of interference (I know an area just south of Paris where no GPS every seems to work). Just drive a few minutes and almost always it will sort itself out.