TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

GPS thinks it is in another state

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by nicholb, Jul 12, 2018.

1. nicholb

nicholb Member

Just picked up mine today. I didn't notice until I was driving away that the GPS thinks I'm in Arlington IL whereas I am actually in Minneapolis. I should have went back in and had them look at it but was eager to get out on the road and drive. I also kind of hoped it just needed to get a satellite lock.

It does track when I am driving, it's just several hundred miles off. I did try a console reboot. I'll be calling service later and see if they can reset it.

2. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Common. When I picked mine up in Chicago, it still thought it was in Fremont :).
    It didn't correct itself for a surprisingly long time.

3. nicholb

nicholb Member

Just got off the phone with service. Basically when they put them in transport it takes the GPS offline and it remembers the last place it was on. He said the car should reset the location after being driven over 30 minutes, or if you disconnect and reconnect the 12v battery.

My trip home from the delivery was only about 20 minutes so I'll take it out driving after work and see if it updates.

4. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

Normal. Mine did not reset after 100 miles but don't worry, it takes a day or so, I did a couple resets and that seemed to have fixed it I think, but it definitely takes longer than they claim it will.

5. Chris350

Chris350 Member

LOL! After seeing all this, I was sure that I didn't leave until I was able to confirm that the navigation was locked in properly...

Also, check to see what software version it was on....

6. nicholb

nicholb Member

Software is 2018.21.9. Drove it over 30 minutes last night, and about 15 to work this morning. Still has not corrected. I'll give it some more time before taking it in.

7. Duckiesauce

Duckiesauce Member

Mine's been over 48hrs, still thinks I'm in Cali. :eek: Called Tech support they said give it couple days..but didn't say particularly HOW long, also rebooted once.

8. Shygar

Shygar Member

Maybe try driving to the spot it thinks you are at so it will figure it out :)

• Funny x 1
  9. nicholb

nicholb Member

Tried disconnecting the 12v like the service guy said, still in Illinois. I'll be driving a 70m round trip tomorrow hopefully that's enough. A bit annoying not being able to use navigation, but still enjoying the car.

10. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

GPS triangulates position from satellites. Even without a differential signal it shouldn’t be showing the car more than a few hundred feet from where it is...it’s not a “break in” kind of system. Hmmm. GNSS Frequently Asked Questions - GPS

11. nicholb

nicholb Member

That is what I'd expect too. Every other GPS system I've used just goes off the satellites and centers once it has a lock. I know phones also use WiFi to refine the location.

Evidently Tesla is also using motion information from the car to calculate position. I bet that helps with the times when GPS suddenly thinks you jumped over several feet. If you look at something like your timeline in Google maps you'll see some occasions where it thinks you are on a nearby road. Since Tesla is using GPS to help steer the car I bet using what the car knows as its travel distance and direction makes it more accurate.

• Like x 1
  12. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

Mine was like that for the first 2 days and then the next morning it was right. I wouldnt worry about it, it will eventually update location, as aggravating as it to have this issue on your brand new car it seems to be common

• Like x 1
  13. nicholb

nicholb Member

Drove to a town about 40m away and when I got back into the car the gps was correct. Odometer was at 116m.

• Like x 1