Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS thinks it is in another state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up mine today. I didn't notice until I was driving away that the GPS thinks I'm in Arlington IL whereas I am actually in Minneapolis. I should have went back in and had them look at it but was eager to get out on the road and drive. I also kind of hoped it just needed to get a satellite lock.

It does track when I am driving, it's just several hundred miles off. I did try a console reboot. I'll be calling service later and see if they can reset it.

Just got off the phone with service. Basically when they put them in transport it takes the GPS offline and it remembers the last place it was on. He said the car should reset the location after being driven over 30 minutes, or if you disconnect and reconnect the 12v battery.

My trip home from the delivery was only about 20 minutes so I'll take it out driving after work and see if it updates.

GPS triangulates position from satellites. Even without a differential signal it shouldn’t be showing the car more than a few hundred feet from where it is...it’s not a “break in” kind of system. Hmmm. GNSS Frequently Asked Questions - GPS

That is what I'd expect too. Every other GPS system I've used just goes off the satellites and centers once it has a lock. I know phones also use WiFi to refine the location.

Evidently Tesla is also using motion information from the car to calculate position. I bet that helps with the times when GPS suddenly thinks you jumped over several feet. If you look at something like your timeline in Google maps you'll see some occasions where it thinks you are on a nearby road. Since Tesla is using GPS to help steer the car I bet using what the car knows as its travel distance and direction makes it more accurate.

Reactions: Dana1