Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation/GPS not working on brand new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use your boat for your commute, grocery, road trips, etc then.
well if those things are available on the lake perimeters YES. Would be a slow trip though, the MYP is quite a bit quicker using actual road ways.

point being, Tesla needs to get the GPS fixed for the OP so it functions like it does for the vast majority of Tesla owners.

Last edited:
If the car is otherwise perfect: No panel gap issues, perfect paint, no road noise, has HW4, no rattles. Perfect in every way. Then I'd give them 13 days to fix it, otherwise return/rebuy.

If there are other issue with panel gap, bad paint, lots of road noise, rattles, or has HW3. I'd return/rebuy immediately.

Reactions: 455dan and mborkow
Picked up my new Model Y yesterday. Noticed when I got in the time was incorrect and the car thought it was at Tesla HQ (2500 Deer Park).

The team at the delivery centre advised me this should fix itself when I start driving, but over a day later and after driving 100 miles it's still not working. I've entered the service menu and can see GPS has an amber dot next to it with 0 satellites fixed.

Raised it via support who said it can take up to 200 miles for it to sort itself, but have said I don't accept this as an acceptable solution and there must be an issue that can be fixed. They've now escalated it, but doesn't feel like getting anywhere.

Any advice?
I have exactly the same problem-
A brand new M-Y with only 200 miles
Picked up my new Model Y yesterday. Noticed when I got in the time was incorrect and the car thought it was at Tesla HQ (2500 Deer Park).

The team at the delivery centre advised me this should fix itself when I start driving, but over a day later and after driving 100 miles it's still not working. I've entered the service menu and can see GPS has an amber dot next to it with 0 satellites fixed.

Raised it via support who said it can take up to 200 miles for it to sort itself, but have said I don't accept this as an acceptable solution and there must be an issue that can be fixed. They've now escalated it, but doesn't feel like getting anywhere.

Any advice?
I have exactly the same problem (I am in the Los Angeles area)-

On a brand new M-Y with only 200 miles: The GPS stopped GPS'ing. In fact, over a period of these first couple of weeks, it sporadically worked, then didn't work. After scheduling an appointment (for 10 days later...) I brought my Y to the Burbank service center, nice people but yet no solution. After two days in the shop their analysis is- "maybe we need to replace the computer board". The earliest I can see my Y will be 5 days after I brought it in (thou they gave me a loaner- a Model 3, that is fun....).
I'll add more details here when I (hopefully) get the car back later this week and watch the GPS behavior.

None of the remote diagnostics helped, so took it to a service centre. After a few hours of further tests and apparently replacing the GPS chip, they’ve now given me a loaner car as they need more time to work on the car.

Any suggestions on what to do in this situation? I’ve been sold a car which had GPS that never worked and now it needs to be taken in for repairs.
Let them fix it?

Reactions: Yelobird
I have exactly the same problem-
A brand new M-Y with only 200 miles

I have exactly the same problem (I am in the Los Angeles area)-

On a brand new M-Y with only 200 miles: The GPS stopped GPS'ing. In fact, over a period of these first couple of weeks, it sporadically worked, then didn't work. After scheduling an appointment (for 10 days later...) I brought my Y to the Burbank service center, nice people but yet no solution. After two days in the shop their analysis is- "maybe we need to replace the computer board". The earliest I can see my Y will be 5 days after I brought it in (thou they gave me a loaner- a Model 3, that is fun....).
I'll add more details here when I (hopefully) get the car back later this week and watch the GPS behavior.
Update on my M Y GPS problem:
Well, Tesla service center has finally fixed it. After 6 days in the shop and multiple software and firmware attempts to diagnose and resolve the GPS problem they determined that the fault lies in the GPS antenna hardware. Replacing it was the solution.

Well, Tesla service center has finally fixed it. After 6 days in the shop and multiple software and firmware attempts to diagnose and resolve the GPS problem they determined that the fault lies in the GPS antenna hardware. Replacing it was the solution.
Sounds like the exact same issue I had with my Model Y. They diagnosed it as faulty soldering on the board the GPS antenna connects to. They discovered this as when they wiggled the wire when the vehicle was moving this updated the GPS position.

They replaced the entire computer and the wiring harness associated with the GPS. I’ve had it back for a couple of weeks now without the issue reappearing.

Obviously if you’re in California your vehicle would have been assembled in the USA. As I’m in Scotland, mine is from China. Perhaps the impacted parts are manufactured in the same location.

Were any of them as advanced as Tesla? I test-drove a brand-new MYP off the lot and watch it happen in real-time. If they say give it 200 miles, then give it 200 miles. 🤌
there's no way it should take gps 200 miles to start acquiring satellites - it's a bullshit excuse. It might take a standalone gps up to 15-20 minutes to start calculating the first fix on a cold start as it downloads the full almanac of ephemeris data for the first time, but a always connected tesla can download that over the internet and can be pretty close to something resembling an instant fix (on the order of seconds), but shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Update: No, No, No- it still doesn't work. Just a few days after the replacement of my GPS antenna by the Burbank Service center, my GPS navigation/location continues misbehaving intermittently.
The fix has not fixed a thing. On one day it works, and on the other it doesn't. On my request they scheduled another service appointment for 2 weeks (that is in TWO weeks). In the meantime, a month and a half after receiving my new M-Y, this new car (navigation) doesn't work!!!!

Update: No, No, No- it still doesn't work. Just a few days after the replacement of my GPS antenna by the Burbank Service center, my GPS navigation/location continues misbehaving intermittently.
The fix has not fixed a thing. On one day it works, and on the other it doesn't. On my request they scheduled another service appointment for 2 weeks (that is in TWO weeks). In the meantime, a month and a half after receiving my new M-Y, this new car (navigation) doesn't work!!!!
It sounds very similar to the issue I had. They didn’t replace the GPS antenna though, as the fault was on the board. This is why they replaced the entire computer and associated wiring harness. The tech that worked on my said they identified the issue by wiggling the wiring connected to the board whilst the vehicle was on the move. This cause the GPS to intermittently update, suggesting a faulty connection.

It sounds very similar to the issue I had. They didn’t replace the GPS antenna though, as the fault was on the board. This is why they replaced the entire computer and associated wiring harness. The tech that worked on my said they identified the issue by wiggling the wiring connected to the board whilst the vehicle was on the move. This cause the GPS to intermittently update, suggesting a faulty connection.
Note to Rod0101.
Thanks for your interesting input.
Please Email me directly to [email protected] how can I contact you (Whatsapp or Email address). I need more details about your GPS fiasco

I’m having the same issue. Delivery on Tuesday with no GPS. Told me the same thing needed to drive. Got to a Tesla service center and they’re saying it’s because it’s got new hardware and is still running factory firmware. I’m supposed to wait a few weeks to see if Tesla will push out the update.

Which kind of sucks as I received the loyalty bonus of 3 months of full self driving but that doesn’t work too well without gps.

I’m having the same issue. Delivery on Tuesday with no GPS. Told me the same thing needed to drive. Got to a Tesla service center and they’re saying it’s because it’s got new hardware and is still running factory firmware. I’m supposed to wait a few weeks to see if Tesla will push out the update.

Which kind of sucks as I received the loyalty bonus of 3 months of full self driving but that doesn’t work too well without gps.
Ironically, I installed a new GPS in my plane today, a simple slide in replacement. Inside the metal hangar it thought it was in Florida. I pushed it out where the antenna could see the sky, it locked in on my SoCal location in less than 2 minutes. Your auto GPS is much simpler and should take no longer.

Reactions: mborkow

This is total nonsense. Waiting weeks will make zero difference. They’re just fobbing you off. A firmware update was one of the excuses they gave me, alongside driving for atleast 200 miles.

I’m not sure where you’re based but I’d head to your local service centre and ask to speak with the manager. It was only when I spoke to the manager at my local service centre they actually took it seriously.

Reactions: poundsand
Note to Rod0101.
Thanks for your interesting input.
Please Email me directly to [email protected] how can I contact you (Whatsapp or Email address). I need more details about your GPS fiasco
Are you still experiencing this? Tell them to look up Model Y RWD which was worked on in the Edinburgh UK service centre on 23 June. Hopefully they’ll be able to see the repair which was carried out on mine and if this can be replicated on yours.

I think my model Y is having a similar issue. Sometimes the GPS position doesn't update even after driving for 15 minutes. Usually if i turn the car off and come back a little later it is working again. Seems like a week signal because its always worse when parked in the garage at home.

As detailed above, the GPS problem in my brand new Model Y was intermittent and unpredictable. Now my service center seems to have finally resolve it.
By mid July I brought the car in, and they replaced the GPS antenna unit. This didn't help, the intermittent interruptions continued.
I scheduled another appointment for this week and now they replaced the connectivity board and the central Ryzen computer (as I had suspected they will).
Now, after driving some short distances for a couple of days the problem seems to be resolved.

Funny anecdote:
Before the second repair I drove from LA to San Diego on the busy freeway-5. See the picture below how the faulty GPS navigated me into a lake.

Attachments

• 2023_8_3_Amphibian M-Y.jpg
    2023_8_3_Amphibian M-Y.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: poundsand
All's well.
It seems that my intermittent GPS navigation problem has been resolved. It has been 10 days since my model Y was serviced at the Tesla service center in Burbank CA, and the system in navigating with no interruptions. Replacing the GPS antenna, the connectivity board and the car computer was the solution.
My compliments to the Burbank technicians who did a good job in diagnosing, repairing and testing the new Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
As detailed above, the GPS problem in my brand new Model Y was intermittent and unpredictable. Now my service center seems to have finally resolve it.
By mid July I brought the car in, and they replaced the GPS antenna unit. This didn't help, the intermittent interruptions continued.
I scheduled another appointment for this week and now they replaced the connectivity board and the central Ryzen computer (as I had suspected they will).
Now, after driving some short distances for a couple of days the problem seems to be resolved.

Funny anecdote:
Before the second repair I drove from LA to San Diego on the busy freeway-5. See the picture below how the faulty GPS navigated me into a lake.
Looks like it was a similar repair to mine, although they didn’t replace the GPS antenna on my Model Y. Wonder if there’s a fault on the GPS board. Although you’re US and I’m UK, I imagine both board would have been manufactured in China.