Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation/GPS not working on brand new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was probably NOT the GPS board but the 1. unstable connectivity board (whatever it is...) and/or 2. the computer- both have been replaced the second time around. (The GPS board had been replaced in the first service call, but the intermittent problem remained).

I have the same issue but on a 2023 Model S.

They replaced the GPS antenna. GPS worked for one day, than was again way of actual location. Then it was stuk for 2 weeks. Then came back suddenly while driving, but next trip it was stuck again. Till now still stuck.

I have a service planned for next week thursday.

Don't think it's the computer because the hardware between model Y and S is different. Maybe one particular piece they use on both cars is the same that is malfunctioning. Hope they will solve it now, because on long trips it's not handy to know what the battery level will be upon arrival.

• Informative
Reactions: Mazainen

They replaced the GPS antenna. GPS worked for one day, than was again way of actual location. Then it was stuk for 2 weeks. Then came back suddenly while driving, but next trip it was stuck again. Till now still stuck.

Don't think it's the computer because the hardware between model Y and S is different. Maybe one particular piece they use on both cars is the same that is malfunctioning. Hope they will solve it now, because on long trips it's not handy to know what the battery level will be upon arrival.
Good luck!

I had cameras and GPS fail. MCU replacement (Ryzen) was the fix.

Reactions: Tazmanian

Hi, same thing here in Italy, but I've been struggling with this pesky issue on my Model S since last May.
Service changed GPS antenna to no avail, checked again twice then told me it's a "firmware" glitch they encountered on other cars and still wondering how to solve it. Here I read I'm not alone, but looks I'm the unlucky guy.
my last service request on the same issue has been declined as the infamous "firmware" fix is pending. Frankly I'm pondering to escalate.

Hi, same thing here in Italy, but I've been struggling with this pesky issue on my Model S since last May.
Service changed GPS antenna to no avail, checked again twice then told me it's a "firmware" glitch they encountered on other cars and still wondering how to solve it. Here I read I'm not alone, but looks I'm the unlucky guy.
my last service request on the same issue has been declined as the infamous "firmware" fix is pending. Frankly I'm pondering to escalate.
Hello, I have the same issue with 2023 Model S here in Finland. GPS has never worked and also autopilot camera is misaligned, waiting for service to review my ticket. The car thinks it is at Tesla factory staging lot in Fremont. Navigation maps and firmware was updated but still no GPS reception.
IMG_4785 2.PNG

What was your VIN and build date? I have VIN514xxx and the car was built mid May 2023 and it was just delivered last week.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Hello, I have the same issue with 2023 Model S here in Finland. GPS has never worked and also autopilot camera is misaligned, waiting for service to review my ticket. The car thinks it is at Tesla factory staging lot in Fremont. Navigation maps and firmware was updated but still no GPS reception.
View attachment 976710

What was your VIN and build date? I have VIN514xxx and the car was built mid May 2023 and it was just delivered last week.
VIN is 8541XX built in Fremont, CA and build date was late July. My repair completion was pushed out till Tomorrow, waiting on another part.

Reactions: Mazainen
My 2022 YLR had no navigation problems until the 2023.7.30 update. Since then around 50% of the time, Navigation responds with "No Connection Available" and won't navigate at all. BT, WiFi, and cell phone all show connected, but the bottom left of the display usually or always shows a black circle chasing its tail? I haven't gone searching for an answer in the service manual because as bad as Navigation is at its best, its absence isn't that much of a loss. Also I haven't yet really developed my customer self service skills and still rely on a cashier to scan my stuff at Wally World.

I finally got my car back and it was unfortunately caused by plugging in a USB hub into the globe compartment port. I had heard of this before from one of @DirtyTesla's videos but didn't think it would've been the cause of my issue. He has a HW4 just like me. I've been using the USB hubs on both of my previous model 3s without issues. The service department replaced my mcu computer and antenna to fix the issue and they gave me a stark warning that doing this again would not be covered under warranty. I can't believe the new MCU is this sensitive.

Either way, for those of you with hw4 cars.... Don't use the glovebox port to power anything besides a flash drive.

I just experienced this today with my first Tesla MYLR.
Everything was great physically and we took delivery. I'm able to search for locations on the map and start navigation w/traffic and everything, but when actually driving - the car's location is still fixed at the delivery center. Researched everything - Steering wheel reboot, reboot from the Safety menu (I didn't want to do the 12v disconnection.. because I shouldn't have to!! I had a small dinner planned with some friends and driving there and back home honestly was more bitter than sweet.

Today I was SO disappointed. I was so excited to finally drive this car and it's ruined by the lack of QA.

Sorry for the rant. I set a service appointment, but how dumb is that to schedule a service appointment right after taking delivery? Going to call Tesla tomorrow and complain.

Everything was great physically and we took delivery. I'm able to search for locations on the map and start navigation w/traffic and everything, but when actually driving - the car's location is still fixed at the delivery center. Researched everything - Steering wheel reboot, reboot from the Safety menu (I didn't want to do the 12v disconnection.. because I shouldn't have to!! I had a small dinner planned with some friends and driving there and back home honestly was more bitter than sweet.

Today I was SO disappointed. I was so excited to finally drive this car and it's ruined by the lack of QA.

Sorry for the rant. I set a service appointment, but how dumb is that to schedule a service appointment right after taking delivery? Going to call Tesla tomorrow and complain.
Agree, it’s really disappointing to pick up a brand new car that has such a critical issue.

Tesla will likely try to suggest its software and run through a bunch of diagnostics etc, however if it’s not resolved itself within a short period of driving, you can be certain it is hardware related.

As many in this thread have also experienced, it’s likely an issue with the connection between the GPS antenna and the computer board itself. Push them to completely a hardware diagnostic as soon as they take it in, as they’ll likely have to order either a new board, wiring harness, and/or board for your vehicle.

Di you get this Resolved? I had same issue with my S and it was fixed by replacing the GPS antenna. Of course, they had to fix it a 2nd time because the connection was loose. But everything working fine now. See my thread in the S forum: