Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Government Revenue in the United States has steadily increased from 7 percent of GDP in 1902 to over 35 percent today. In the 50s and 60s government revenue was in the mid-20% range. While it seems counterintuitive, often when tax rates are lowered, revenue goes up (and vice versa).
Laffler has been thoroughly discredited.
Top_tax_rates_and_average_growth_1975-2008_v3.jpg

1280px-Employment_growth_by_top_tax_rate.svg.png

Government tax revenue today is lower than in the 50s and 60s. There is also much greater inequality today which is a drag on the economy.

Reactions: nwdiver

Government tax revenue today is lower than in the 50s and 60s. There is also much greater inequality today which is a drag on the economy.

The information I provided on government tax revenue compared to GDP was from US Government 20th Century Revenue History with Charts - a www.usgovernmentrevenue.com briefing. The data you posted on growth rates does not refute government tax revenue steadily going up as depicted in the first chart 3.21: Total Revenue in 20th Century in the link above.

The hard thing to accept is that Flints water poison problem was caused by Government. When a local government wanted to take control of Flints water so they could have their own water department, they cancelled a much less expensive per gallon and much safer contract to purchase their water from Detroit. Shame. Then they tried to hide the contamination while poisioning their own citizens...evil.

The hard thing to accept is that Flints water poison problem was caused by Government. When a local government wanted to take control of Flints water so they could have their own water department, they cancelled a much less expensive per gallon and much safer contract to purchase their water from Detroit. Shame. Then they tried to hide the contamination while poisioning their own citizens...evil.
When citizens feel powerless to have meaningful input into government actions, apathy quickly develops. Once you have an apathetic citizenry, the government is taken over by the greedy or those with an agenda to push (often a harmful agenda such as Dominionism).

Government Revenue in the United States has steadily increased from 7 percent of GDP in 1902 to over 35 percent today. In the 50s and 60s government revenue was in the mid-20% range. While it seems counterintuitive, often when tax rates are lowered, revenue goes up (and vice versa).

.... increased purchasing power in the hands of consumers grows the economy and revenue. Taxation is only part of the picture. You can't lower taxes and dump an absurd amount of money on the military like Reagan did and claim it was the tax cuts. It was much more likely the Billions injected into the economy through military spending. You can't hike taxes to pay off debt like Hoover did and blame the tax hike. It was removing money from the economy that hurt revenue... not the tax hike. If increased taxes are offset with increased spending the effect on the economy and revenue is negligible to beneficial depending on where the spending goes. $1 spent in food stamps is ~$1.70 in economic activity. Infrastructure ~$1.20. Tax cuts are worth $0.90/$1.....

Reactions: jerry33
This is ****ing hilarious and yet sad for humanity.....

TVA Wants to Close a Costly, Unreliable Coal Plant. Trump and Kentucky Politicians Are Fighting It.

1) what happened to Republicans and their "we don't pick winners or losers, let the market do that"?
2) From this statement, they seemed to be forgetting the huge source of energy in the sky that has been there for billions of years.....

"We sit on hundreds of years of supply of the most reliable, most stable, most affordable source of electricity production that the world has ever known," Bevin said. "There is no capacity now if we shut this facility and others like it to provide what America needs."

usgs_line.png
Government tax revenue today is lower than in the 50s and 60s.

When I look at this chart I see tax revenues as percent of GDP generally going up since the 1900s, (including the glory days of 70% to 90% tax rates that you speak of).

How do you conclude that "government tax revenue today is lower than in the 50s and 60s?

View attachment 376708

Does it include FICA ?
My other thought would be to remember that overall tax revenue is mostly from the "middle class." Your graph is missing context.

The chart depicts rising tax revenues to the government over the last 100+ years. Perhaps you can provide the "missing context".

In any event, I guess it gets down to what percentage of the economy you want the government to control? I am sure there is some ideal amount but I tend to believe the private sector overall does a better job than the government. But that's just me.

Art Laffer literally drew his "Laffer Curve" on a cocktail napkin. There weren't any numbers on it. When he personally created the budget for Kansas, the economy of Kansas collapsed. At the same time California and Minnesota raised taxes,and had the greatest economic growth in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.