Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 little words

Charging
Infrastructure

This is crucial to EVs, but not in the haphazard way it's being done in some / many places.

Like a 3kw charge point on a fillingstation forecourt. Superchargers / fast chargers essential along arterial routes (which seems to be developing somewhat OK) but other charging especially at destinations needs to match typical visit duration at each destination. Eg: a National Trust site parking facility should provide say 50 mile range for a 4 hour charge if that is a typical visit duration. Tied into parking duration actually becomes a decent incentive to visit that location as long as they don't charge 80p a kwh! But for an institution like National Trust, having an EV Owner membership that gave free / low cost charging could be great if they designed it right.

Last edited:
In a similar vein, workplace charging needs to be similarly thought through. Investing in high speed charging in an employee parking area is most likely a waste, but having 20 or 30 x 3 kw outlets would be perfect to give a pat on the back to eco-minded staff.

This is crucial to EVs, but not in the haphazard way it's being done in some / many places.....Eg: a National Trust site parking facility should provide say 50 mile range for a 4 hour charge if that is a typical visit duration. Tied into parking duration actually becomes a decent incentive to visit that location as long as they don't charge 80p a kwh! But for an institution like National Trust, having an EV Owner membership that gave free / low cost charging could be great if they designed it right.

There has been much publicity about the plight of Chester Zoo but fortunately they were allowed to open this week & as members we managed to get a couple of bookings, the first being today.

As a charity & having much reduced visitor numbers as a necessity, I had assumed that the eight free pod point chargers would not be in use but six of them were so I was able to add 130 miles during a 4 1/2 hour stay - we made sure we bought various refreshments as a token of appreciation.

MuNzYeg.jpg
]
(a selfish ICE driver had moved the green cones & parked in one bay and another had an EV not even plugged in).

The Green Plates are being introduced in the 'autumn', which starts on 1st September (using the meteorological definition). This is, coincidentally, the start of the 70 plate registrations, so if the Govt. get their act together they will be available by then. But I'm not holding my breath...

The Green Plates are being introduced in the 'autumn', which starts on 1st September (using the meteorological definition). This is, coincidentally, the start of the 70 plate registrations, so if the Govt. get their act together they will be available by then. But I'm not holding my breath...

Does anyone know if this is going to be the default on all 70 plate Tesla’s?